1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other TV Shows

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Mr. Mochi

Mr. Mochi First Year

I think The Boys is probably one of the most overrated shows, but I’ve only seen 3 episodes.

Is there something I’m missing about The Boys? To me it comes off as a moralistic lecture disguised as a superhero parody. From the gratuitous examples of corruption, abuse of power etc., I feel like I’m being preached to. The shock feels heavy handed, in the sense that the show wants you to feel a certain way about events and consequently the characters. And if you don’t feel that way, you get very annoyed with the narrative and plot direction. The scene were aquaman threatens the new girl with losing her job if she doesn’t suck him off for example. Personally I can’t relate and I just wouldn’t do it, even if I’m faced with my dream job. She does it and later is upset and crying about it and says she was raped. Annoyance levels rising. While it’s not solely that plot thread but several plot threads, that give off a similar vibe.

I guess I want to know how the heroes got their powers is a compelling factor, but I actually don’t care for any of the characters.

As for the acting, I never had the thought that Karl Urban should be a lead. His tone or energy always feels one off center, in the sense that you can figure out what emotion his somewhat sketchy character is trying to portray, say frustration, but Urban makes it feel really unbalanced and “fake”. Everyone else is fine, but I’m not like blown away.

As for the writing, the dialogue isn’t anything special, I remember information but the conversations always feel like banter, even some of serious clandestine discussion. The overall setting gives off that fake Marvel feel, which I despise and made me avoid superhero movies for the last decade. The idea that dysfunctional people appear to be world paragons feels like it needs to be handled with more subtlety than shock in my opinion for it to feel realistic and not contrived.

So yeah, I realize The Boys isn’t my cup of tea, but I think it’s because the show is literally a daytime soap opera with gore, violence, and superpowers. I really don’t see why people swear by it, or rave about it. I fit the target demographic almost perfectly and yeah, I’d rather go to church and be lectured about my sins.

2. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I also watched a few episodes and then didn't stick with it. I guess maybe the good part came later, but the part I saw was barely interesting.

3. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Boys S1 doesn't really pick up until the very end when you really start to see how nuts Homelander is. Dialogue, plot, and chars all get MUCH better in S2. But if you're not even able to casually get through S1, yeah, I would just give up.

4. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Horizon Zero Dawn is getting a live action series on Netflix. Not sure how I feel about that. Netflix doesn't really have the money to make a ton of giant CGI robot dinosaurs look even halfway decent.

Of course, they could always get real robot dinosaurs.

5. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Watching Hannibal (tv series) for first time. ngl, I don't think I've ever so quickly hated a character on television as the redhead journalist chick.

6. DR

High Score:
    She's the worst, but that show is fantastic.

7. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah About 6 episodes into the first season and it's awesome. Mads is just excellent in his role, Dancy and Fishburne are also amazing.

8. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Hannibal is amazing. Though neither of the follow ups are as good as season 1, I think, it's a great show. A very *indulgent* show in many ways, which is very thematic in itself.

One of my favourite shows of all time, I think.

9. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Pantheon is another greet show that is currently airing. If you haven't checked it out please do.

BUT, the most fascinating, thought-provoking and mind bending show I have seen in a long time is, Nathan Fielder's The Rehearsal

I urge everyone here to check out the Rehearsal, its a genuinely great show that forces you to question everything you see on a screen.

10. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Anyone watch Wendsday?

It's like fem!indy!Harry went to an alternative school in the US.

11. DR

High Score:
    I watched the first 20 minutes and had to turn it off. It's truly awful, imo.

12. KGB

KGB Headmaster

It's not great TBH. I don't think they wrote that show for 8 episodes. Feels like they gutted out character development for all the side characters.

But I did manage to sit all the way through.

13. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

The Boys is definitely overrated. It has it's fun moments, and I watched all the way through to about halfway through Season 3 before I realized I was forcing myself to continue and I just couldn't do it anymore. While some aspects of the show get better after Season 1, the preachiness is not one of them. If anything, that gets steadily worse.

It's a show that very clearly and unambiguously approaches events, characters and the world from one particular American political slant. Basically, if your views about society and the world are identical to the CNN/MSNBC party line, then you are the target audience of The Boys. If you differ even a little bit from that worldview, the preaching just grates more and more as the show goes on. The whole thing just starts to feel like less of a piece of entertainment, and more of a mean-spirited attack on every other viewpoint after a while, where they're portrayed by nothing but awful, hateful caricatures that exist only to get a rise out of the audience.

It's really too bad, because I actually liked some of the characters and plotlines, but I'm just so fucking sick to death of being preached at by what's supposed to be entertainment.

14. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Really? I rather enjoyed Wednesday. It was silly and cutesy, but with enough surprises to make it interesting. Quite funny.

15. Sowaka

Sowaka Second Year

Wednesday was enjoyable in the same way guilty pleasure HP fanfiction is.

16. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    So the Willow show has 3 eps under its belt.

It's... okay?

The choice to use so much modern parlance in the dialogue was a big mistake (I cringe hard whenever someone uses a swear word), but other than that, it's sort of fun.

Unrelated: The Dragon Age series on Netflix was kinda meh, but it has me pumped up for Dreadwolf. I feel like a Tevinter-centric game is just going to go hard.

17. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

Concur, and I am both guilty and pleased. The acting is somewhat stilted by the adults, but the kids seem to be having a good time.
    Special shout out to Thing's actor, who is working hard for a non speaking role. I hope he's getting paid well despite that.

18. Othalan

Henry Cavill has announced that he's signed on with Amazon for a Warhammer 40k series now that Superman is a no-go. Depending on who Amazon puts in charge of that, this could be fucking epic! And if anyone's going to be involved in the production, someone like Cavill, who is an avid 40k fan, is probably one of the best possible picks. No word so far on any details of the show, no other names, no showrunners, no dates, etc. Just confirmation that Amazon has negotiated the rights to do it, that they plan on quickly taking advantage of those rights, and that Cavill is on board.

Sources:
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/henry-cavill-warhammer-40000-amazon-1235283251/

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/h...warhammer-40k-series-for-amazon/1100-6510114/

https://gizmodo.com/henry-cavill-warhammer-tv-show-amazon-games-workshop-1849901758

19. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Talk about a match made in heaven. As long as Amazon actually listens to him this series will be good for fans though not necessarily for others, but if you want Warhammer then you should make Warhammer and not a generic space fantasy.

20. Othalan

Exactly. Not every show has to appeal to every audience. At best, trying to make it so just makes the whole endeavor completely generic. At worst it becomes less of a story and more of a collection of irl ideological dog-whistles. If I watch a 40k series, it's because I want stories from the darkness of the far future, not a thinly-veiled lecture on modern day social issues.