1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Outlines

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Ched, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

Yup. One chapter and one interlude/omake thing are being edited.

http://www.smart-edit.com/

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

This is apparently a "Writing Cheatsheet" that I found interesting.

http://www.nowhitespace.org/writing/cheatsheet.pdf

I don't generally get any writing done during lunch (or the week in general) but lately I've been spending some more time on my outlining. Helps me get more written on the weekends.

It's been fun. Someone, I think NMB, mentioned the 7 Part Story Structure earlier. I ended up using that one for subplots and character arcs. The 8 Sequence Screenwriting Method turned out to be pretty neat too, though I've yet to find anyone online applying it specifically to novel analysis instead of movies (i.e. with examples).

But both of those seem to work well with what I was already doing (see my first post, with the Excel screenshot). Just it helps keep my bullet points a little more limited, which actually feels pretty good.

3. redlibertyx

redlibertyx Professor

That cheatsheet is definitely interesting but I think it's incredibly cluttered. I'm a fan of Dan Harmon's story circle which is a simplified, barebones version of Joseph Campbell's monomyth. Though to be honest I'm not sure how good of an idea it is to adhere strictly to something like that.

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I don't think it's a good idea to adhere too closely to the monomyth, but then I haven't sold a novel yet.

Things like that are, I think, more a way of analyzing something that's already been written. At least for me. It's brilliant, and it can help you determine what you're missing in your story, but I'd never start with it. (Personally)

I hadn't seen Dan Harmon's version -- thanks for adding it to the thread. ^^