1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Overwatch

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Nemrut, Oct 29, 2015.

1. stormfury

stormfury Unspeakable

Actually, I make it a point to avoid changing characters mid game unless the game desperately needs it (like lacking a tank or a support). That would be a logical explanation, but its outside of my normal playstyle to do so.

2. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

Tomato: etiquette dictates you run whether you're going to invite someone to a group lead by someone else before you actually invite them. A mate of a mate who is an autist is not appreciated, especially when all they play is a really shitty sniper or offense class.

If you want to play with them, go play with them in your own game. Don't bring them into DLP games where they're literally a hindrance despite communication existing. But holy shit. I didn't even know I could turn off group invites but playing with those fucking idiots for three games in a row made me do it really quick. The games we did win were a phenomenal struggle due to just tunnel-vision on the parts of everyone.

Edit: And just to make the point clear: I don't fucking know who that person is, they aren't a DLPer and the MMR system will more than likely place someone on our team who will be less of a hindrance.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  3. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Are you actively trying to make this game as toxic as League, or is this just your default state of mind?

4. BioPlague

Games don't last long enough to be as toxic as league over. The only way you can become toxic is if you have to play with the same people for a long period of time, which is pretty much the equivalent in league. If you have to play with someone in a team-oriented game for an hour who thinks he should play a sniper every single game because he's a selfish cunt (while I play a support), it's a recipe for not having fun.

5. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'll give you the etiquette part, but holy shit man. We're not playing ranked here. If you wanted to do a DLP only game you should have said; I would have fucked off and done a group with them. Would have done the same if more DLP folks had rocked up and pushed us over 6.

We won more than half our games, and of those we steamrolled a good few of them. You'd think we'd lost them all from the salt I'm drowning under here. Did we lose any matches with the people I brought in beside Route 66??

As for MMR...we're not going to get an even spread even with pure DLPers. 57% win rates vs 46% win rates on the same team will do that. But I'm sure your generous Mercy instapicking is the only cause behind that.

Edit: Dude he didn't even go a sniper for every game :facepalm.

6. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Chiming in on this, I do think there should be group invite etiquette in that people should ask if they're going to invite someone outside of DLP to a group they were invited to. I always ask if I'm going to, or vice versa tbh, if I'm going to invite someone from DLP to play with my mates.

Re: Wize's friends were hit or miss, his previous friend Hiddenpants was pretty damn good, so it's definitely a case of you get what you get, you'll never know how good people are until you play with them.

Also, I do think we should institute a majority rules vote on snipers on a per game basis. x)

7. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I propose a different rule. If you want to play Widowmaker, you have to pass the Sniper Test.

The test, you ask? Complete three headshot kills after launching yourself into the air with your grappling hook before you hit the ground. Do this three times in a row, then you pass.

Pretty reasonable, imo.

8. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

3 shots per grapple, or in total? Because I can do in total, but 3 with one grapple? You crazeboi

9. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I'd rotate first pick on casual games. We all get pigeoned-holed into a role usually, but we mightn't actually enjoy it much or want to play another character badly but never get a chance because of certain others who 'main' a hero. I know I get sick of playing tank and damage and wouldn't mind playing more def and sup.

Makes it more fair, but you would still get the same people picking the same hero again, and again, and again... no matter the situation. At east every now and then you get to do something you enjoy.

I play with one scrub group with zero synergy and quite shit play, but they are fun to play with and I just roll with it and pick anything I want. If your going to lose might as well have fun doing it.

10. BioPlague

That's a really abysmal understanding of how MMR works, but it's cute. I've had a sub-50% win rate in Platinum 4 in league before I stopped playing. Wins and losses are not going to tell you your MMR.

Jon and Fenraellis are sub-50% players, were on that team, and I'd rather have either of them on that team than those two clowns since they at least play the objective and switch roles. I think all three of us have probably gotten the majority of our losses from playing with friends (I think Frank in Fen's case). I know I got the majority of the twenty losses I'm in the hole from the other day when it was another all DLP team with two people who were just starting, and we lost six or seven in a row. So that's a stupid fucking point.

And I don't think anyone has a problem with people joining, so long as they don't join the group with the intent to just be a waste of a space and play a fun champ. Then it just becomes I can't get rid of this fucking person in between games, I have no lasting connection to them and I can't yell at them on DLP.

And the sniper test is simple. If you aren't ahead in eliminations and damage, you shouldn't be playing sniper.

And to your edit: Dude was a Hanzo or Widow every game, and changed to another class for 5 seconds before switching back to being a really shitty Hanzo or Widow.

11. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    We're clearly going to disagree on how things went down in regards to their picks so I'm not going to continue this. I'll catch you next time we do a game.

12. Gengar

High Score:
    Per grapple. Totally reasonable. Don't bitch out! lol

13. Gengar

High Score:
    Hearing D.Va buffs and McCree hammer nerfs imminent? Anyone know the source? Unwilling to cite twitter...

Edit: Redditer linked to blue posts here.

Not sure what form the buffs/nerf can take. A tweaking of defence matrix, or removing her slow while she's shooting might help.

As for McCree and Fan? I dunno. He's always good, but nerfing his damage against high health targets just makes him an anti-Tracer/genji. Which is fine, I guess? I never thought it was too big an issue, but maybe I've just not come up against really great McCrees.

14. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

League of Legends games are long. A very, very fast game is 20 minutes or so in length. That means than an average Overwatch game is still only half as long as a very fast LoL game. Most games of League last 40 minutes or more. In that case, it's a time sink. You put in time out of your day and effort into trying to win this match. So when someone goes Cassiopeia jungle or something, you can understandably be upset, because they're wasting your time.

Overwatch games are short. You have the option of leaving after 10 minutes if you don't like your teammates. You also, you know, have the option of not being a toxic fuck, and just enjoy playing short games. They aren't big time sinks, you aren't investing near the amount of effort you would in a standard LoL game, you have no reason to be bitching about bad players or whatever. There isn't a ranked mode in the game yet, so you're bitching about shit that doesn't even really matter in game or otherwise.

When I played during Beta, I had fun. When I play with Syaoran or Menace, I have fun. When I play with you, your toxicity infects me and makes the game not fun. I just stop enjoying it. You don't get to be all high and mighty and act like a martyr just because you play Mercy all the time. No one is asking you to. No one will care if you go anything else. If you don't have fun with her, don't play as her. It's a fucking video game, if having fun isn't a higher priority than winning, in a non-ranked mode, then you have problems.

15. Gengar

High Score:
    No lie, I have those problems.

I don't cuss people out though, lol. You may hear me banging my head against the desk though...

16. Krieger

Yeah it's weird I wouldn't say McCree needed to nerfed, maybe his too powerful when teams pick multiple McCrees?

Up the Maroons.

17. Xepheria

Xepheria The Benefactor

High Score:
    It's the fact that flashbang- FTH - roll - FTH will kill literally any other character in the game, whilst they can't do anything to react to it.

His gun is also stupidly accurate at long ranges, and is hitscan, so the bullshit doesn't even stop there.

I hate McCree with a passion.

18. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

McCree really is a faceroll character, and he feels a bit out of place in this game. I probably hate him the most, though then again, my enjoyment from this game is pretty much just trolling people with knockback rockets and trying to hit them off of maps.

19. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

I find that the biggest problem with McCree is that I think he was supposed to be some sort of anti-flanker, mid range hero but with Fan the Hammer, Flashbang and the fact that rolling reloads his gun, he ends up just being amazing against tanky heroes too.

20. Krieger

Nothing more enjoyable in the game, nothing. It's part of the fun of being Lucio on control maps, not just the speed and AoE heals on point, but most control maps have knockoff points aswell that make Lucio extra deadly. Control maps are also one of the few times I pick Pharah.

I use to pick Pharah alot, but because I'm getting up in the levels she becomes a weaker pick because people can kill her easily once they have some experience behind them. If I join some mates who have just picked up the game and the average level of players is like below 30 or so, I'll feel safe with her. Atm I'm in groups where I'm in the lower level spectrum at 45 and if I even touch Pharah I get a new arsehole. She use to be fun, but is very vulnerable in the air with people who know what they are doing I've found.