1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pairing Preferences

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Skeletaure, May 18, 2023.

1. Pikachu

Pikachu Banned

The Harmony ship is the most annoying unbearable to read. Pretty much Hermione worship. I still don't understand how people read the books and got it in their heads these two belong together. Talk about failure of reading comprehension.

2. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    There is no pairing that will make me pick up a fic from an unknown author with a bad summary/bad tags. Aside from that though, I'd probably read most Harry/femHarry fics I came across because they're novel. Otherwise I play it by ear.

3. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    As some others have said, i'm indifferent to pairings.

I don't perse mind pairings, realistic characters will have relationships after all.

What I do tend to dislike though is stories that are *About* the relationship as opposed to the relationship being part of the story.

Like I don't perse care if it is or is not Daphne/Harry. But if the *point* of the story is their relationship (essentially the equivalent of a romance novel) im normally pretty meh. If it is just a feature of a larger story that's fine.

I will say the above is probably why i do tend to dislike things like Tonks/Harry or Fleur/Harry where there is such a power imbalance that if the fic isn't going to just be awful the author needs to spend a crazy amount of time focused on it to try and make it feel like "true love" and not "ick". There's always exceptions (i'm a believer that in the hands of a talented enough author any pairing or theme can work... even if you normally don't like X. )

And also why I tend to not like the 'in' pairings. Like, there was a time when there was a bazillion Daphne/Harry fics spitting out and they all tended to be rehashes of the same story. Same for Harry/Draco for a while. Those got a bit meh.

4. AutumnSouls

AutumnSouls Squib

The ones I always click on nowadays is Harry/Pansy, Harry/Narcissa, Harry/Fleur, and any fem!harry f/f pairings that aren't just bs smut.