1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Path of Decision by lulu42 - T - HP/Sandman

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Vorpal, Sep 14, 2008.

1. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I tried to force myself to read more, but this sentence about Ginny made me stop.

2. David

David Squib

Author mentioned in that will never ever happen.

3. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Just read this one. The incorporation of the Endless and their place in JKR's world is pretty inspired. I read probably the first couple dozen issues of Sandman and I vaguely recall the "Death: High Cost of Living" mini-series, so I'm not completely uninformed. But it was many years ago.

Still, while the Endless and the power they possess relative to the wizarding world is genius, I'm hesitant and skeptical of the clumsy inclusion of "assassins." So far, I don't see any point to the childish romanticism of hired killers nor the strange kidnapping and forced tutelage the author rewrote canon for.

In general, assassin!Harry is handled about as well as martial arts master!Harry. Basically something the author thinks sounds cool but serves no real purpose to the story.

The early Hogwarts stuff was a little tiresome as it stuck so close to canon that it wasn't interesting. Typical rewrite flaw. But it seems to be diverging more as we go.

I'm very curious how the Endless are going to be worked into the fic's conclusion, but a little worried the story may get tedious before we get there. The author asks for a beta but there weren't enough errors in the chapters posted so far to bother me at all.

Too many unknowns still for me to get a good idea of where we're going (for example, Harry's morality, ethics, and ruthlessness could lean either way, and his apparent ineptitude with a wand is worrisome). But so far it's somewhere between 3/5 and 4/5 for me.

4. Illution

Illution Seventh Year

He fixed that right on the next chapter. He know DLP has found his story now. :D

5. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

I'm really liking this story. It's very original.

I am a bit confused about what Destruction has to do with the story. Did he just meet Harry once, or is he the mysterious guardian that took care of Harry, to an extent, before he went to Hogwarts?

If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure that 'he' is a girl.

6. SunderBolt

SunderBolt Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Loving this so far 4/5, I always save my 5/5 for exceptional stories.

7. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

Interesting story, some parts made me scratch my head a little.

Other than a brief glance a wikipedia, I have never heard of Sandman, so I am unsure where everything is coming from in that regard. Also, the assassin bits of the story come across a little "forced". I am not too sure about what they are really there for, except for the obvious.

Are they there with another purpose to the story, or are they "what you see is what you get?"

Anyway, I'll keep my eye on update for this fic before giving it a final rating.

There are no girls on the internet...

8. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've read the Sandman series, which is freakishly deep and involved - and I don't think anything fanfiction can rarely compare, but this is quite an inspired tale. Yes, I think the assassins bit is a little extraneous and "off" at times, but in general I enjoy the crossover elements. It seems like a real "Harry Potter" story, where the only true difference is the style and external factors. I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

4/5
    -J

9. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

I'm not through it all yet, but I'll rate it a 4/5 for now.

As for the Sandman series, go to one of the torrent sites and download it. It's well worth the read. Neil Gaiman did an excellent job on it and the Lucifer spinoff was excellent as well. It's not what you can call a "good" read so much as it has a power of it's own that makes it exceptionally hard to describe.

@ KrzaQ
    Soulmate? Guess not.She would have to live that long, for one thing.

Finished it and I have to downgrade my rating a bit. The assassin angle is starting to get a tad annoyingly useless. The fact that draco hasn't been put into his place yet is even more annoying. 3.5 for now.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  10. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

I don't know if it's that inspired. I've always thought that Neil Gaiman was an author who was well-known enough to have fanfics of his work written. And there have. I've read previous HP/Sandman crossovers, so it's not as if this is virgin territory.

The reason why I think more HP/Sandman crossovers haven't been written is Dream's time line conflict. Lulu's decision to not follow Sandman canon with regard to Dream was a fairly bold move that has so far proved to be successful.

11. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

This is coming from a huge fan of Sandman series....and this story doesn't do much justice.

12. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

Updated, the chapter however was a dull canon rehash. Hopefully its setting itself up for something else.

13. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

I want to have sex with your signature.

14. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

I think we all do...Even the chicks.

15. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

New chapter posted, judged, and found to be awesome.

16. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

It was indeed.

17. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Great chapter. Things are really starting to get interesting.

I just hope that

Harry doesn't keep falling back on the sand as a deux ex machina to get him out of trouble

18. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

Second Task chapter posted, and it's one of the most original responses to the Second Task that I recall reading.

19. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

New update, I have to say this is my most anticipated story.

20. lulu42

lulu42 Second Year

I suppose I should crawl out of my dark hole and thank you for the compliment. I know that I didn't really have many plans for books 1-3, and looking back on it now... it makes me cringe on how flat some of the story is. But I sort of know what I am doing now. The next chapter is pretty awesome, not quite as much as the first and second task, but it has Luna!