1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

[PC] Pillars of Eternity

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Cruentus, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

You're not hearing me: Oblivion was relatively fine on the PS3 on release, because Bethesda took a minute to make sure it worked and didn't need to be patched. Moreover, unlike the PC, they don't have to anticipate 1,000 different configurations - it's the same shit, so really all they have to manage is to make sure their own code works, which Obsidian seems to shit the bed on nearly constantly.

I'd much rather a better developer be doing this, because right now I feel like Obsidian is the kind of trash dev that's propped up by EA, not hindered by it. And yes, wahh consoles, but fact is they're releasing it on those and they're responsible for the content they put out - end of story.

2. Solomon

Solomon Heir

You realize that Skyrim rapidly became unplayable on PS3, and the bug that caused it wasn't patched for a fairly large period of time, right?

3. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I do realize, my point is that's not actually a trend with Bethesda's console releases [in my experience] whereas it very much so is with Obsidian's. And actually, it "Rapidly became unplayable" after you'd been playing, what was it, 100 hours-ish? Again, very excusable that beta testers might have missed that. Not that someone shouldn't get thrown out on their ass for not being more thorough, just that I can at least see how it could've been missed.

4. Hello

Hello Professor

When you make a game that can take 80+ hours just to finish the normal plotline without all the divergent quests, you had better fucking test past 100 hours of gametime. 200 would probably be too far, but 120? 130? No way you release a game like Skyrim without testing into 130+ hours.

5. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

And I personally can forgive them for missing that. That said, VATS is something you use right off the bat most of the time, especially in lower levels when you have shit for skill levels, so how the hell was it missed?

6. Drake

Drake Seventh Year

You realize that Bethesda is the one that did QA for F:NV right? So in fact it is Bethesda's fault if there were bugs still present in the game because they could have done a better job at QA instead of doing the shit job they did and pushing it out the door.

7. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

It's a fallacious argument. You can only polish a turd so much; if we're building a table and I put you on QA, and then I deliver you a table with only three legs that's wildly unbalanced, made of wood that's chipped and hacked everywhere, and say "Make it awesome" - there's only so much you can do besides scrapping it, and they were never going to let Bethesda say "No. You need to just take another year and fix all the code you wrote so fucking poorly." Too much money was already sunk into advertising, release dates were already out, etc.

8. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Whether or not Bethesda did the QA, Obsidian's CEO accepted responsibility for both the buggy state of FNV at release and their general reputation for buggy releases. The blame for FNVs bugs shouldn't be laid at Bethesda's feet.

I wouldn't ever call FNV a turd just because of a crummy console port. The game played well on its target platform and bugs were quickly squashed.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  9. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

While Obsidian should do their best to release a bug free product, it's generally the publisher's responsibility to properly QA the products they release. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the list of Obsidian games with serious bug issues and the list of Obsidian games where the publisher decided to pressure for an early release are exactly the same.

I'm much less forgiving of Bethesda, who haven't been able to release a game without serious issues in at least a decade despite publishing their own titles.

10. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Pretty much all of Obsidian's games have been buggy at launch, ElDee. You can't blame all of that on publishers. The only possible exception is their latest game, Dungeon Siege III, which is the first time Obsidian has released a game built on their own engine. The theory being that the inhouse knowledge and control of the engine would allow for a smoother bug hunting and squashing process.

I don't know if Dungeon Siege III was a less buggy experience at launch compared to Obsidian's earlier games. It sounds like its flaws were gameplay related, rather than bug related.

11. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

I had no problems with Dungeon Siege 3.. The most problems it had were console related stuff like fixed view etc.

yak
  12. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

Rather than thinking about how bad KOTOR 2 or some other game was at release: think about how awesome Fallout 1+2, Baldur's Gate 1+2, and Planescape were.

I actually haven't played any of the new Obsidian games other than New Vegas (which I thoroughly enjoyed). But the old Black Isle games stand out as some of my fondest memories. They managed to ruin JRPGs for me. Games like FF7 felt two dimensional compared to Baldur's Gate 2.

Maybe some of the games Obsidian put out in the past few years weren't so great: but hopefully they can repeat the magic they managed back at Black Isle.

13. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

So the Kickstarter ends in a hour or so and it seems it was a full success. Nearly 4 million means every Stretch goal achieved. Now we can only wait and see what happens.

14. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

For those who may be interested, Project Enternity will close in about sixty minutes. As a last stretch goal every penny above 3.5 will go to general improvements to the game, such as real instruments for the game music and such. Now is your last chance to back if you're going to!

15. CBH

CBH Sixth Year

Final tally was around $4,120,000 when paypal is added to the kickstarter amount. Paypal is supposed to stay open for a while so it will probably rise even more.

16. Cruentus

Well, here we are. Two or three years later and the game comes out on the 26th. For those of you who will receive a copy, or have been in the beta, are you as excited as I am? They've been very consistent with updates and everything I've read in them seems promising.

What are your thoughts?

17. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

I'm exited for this like hell. This is the true spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate. I won't have as much free time that I would like to when this hit the shelves, but come Easter and I'll have almost an entire week to go into this.

I don't excpet it to have the same impact that BG had on me (heh, played the entire saga at the end of primary school, good times), but hopefully it will have the same level of epicness that the second BG had.

Also, ONE MORE DAY :mad:

18. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Just started pre-loading woop! Even though I'm pretty sure it's official in 12 mins or something.

19. Cruentus

DL is done! Hoping it unlocks at midnight.

20. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

According to the PoE website the game will be aviable 17:00 CET/09:00 AM PDT.