1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Peace Talks - Dresden Files [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Erotic Adventures of S, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

He says this is a transition book. On the scale of Changes if not more.

2. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    But it doesn't follow that pattern. Every book in the Dresden Files is two words, both words the same length (and syllables?). Except for Changes.

So I'm wary of how much to expect.

3. Raiko

Raiko Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

4. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Not to mention that where Changes was a huge shift in the status quo, right now the Dresden Books don't really have a strong status quo. Harry's life was still heavily in flux all through Cold Days and Skin Game. He might have started settling down by the end of Skin Game, but that still leaves us without much in a way of a new status quo to be broken. Especially since we still haven't even seen all the consequences of Cold Days, like seeing all the fallout of Molly becoming Winter Lady.

5. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Very true. Perhaps this is the formation of a new status quo.

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I hadn’t read this either. I thought it was cute and fun with a hint of the plot appearing at the end probably.

I think they’ve been smart to release bits early. I could see this making luke warm fans pick up the book, if only because they’re already two chapters in.

7. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, I am slowly getting interested in the series again. Gonna have to said aside the time to re-read some of the books. I just haven't enjoyed Dresden as much since Changes tbh.

8. Raiko

Raiko Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

They are going to be releasing at least 2 additional chapters, potentially more, before Peace Talks releases.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  9. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

It could be though any status quo won't hold for too long considering that the series is suppose to be about 20 books and then the BAT.

Someone should ask Butcher if adding a book is going to make it impossible for the 20th book to have its traditional villain or if he restructured the next ones too.

10. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I suspect it'll be less of a new status quo, and more another big game-changer that's about on par with some of the big events of Changes (end of the Red Court, Harry becoming Winter Knight, etc).

11. yargle

yargle Professor

I've got $5 that says the Accords are going to fall apart.

12. Ched

Reasonably sure that Butcher said years ago the "20 book and a trilogy" thing wasn't still in the plan - it'll be more than 20 books before the trilogy because ideas keep expanding, etc. I'm not gonna go look for a quote though, so I could be wrong.

I liked Skin Game a lot. Ghost Story and Cold Days didn't do it for me though. I've recently re-read Skin Game at least.

13. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

I love Maggie and Bonea’s interaction. As Ched said, it’s just so cute. These chapters are definitely getting me interested again.

14. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

15. Ched

So two things from this chapter:

A question!
    Did Harry’s staff always glow green/emerald or is that a new color? I recall it glowing red with Hellfire. I think it’s glowed straight white before. Blue would make sense if Winter was in play. Green feels new. I usually think of green in this series as either Summer or Denarian. And it was emphasized. Does that mean anything? Or is it standard?

A prediction!
    Things are going to come to a head with Thomas and Ebenezer finally, with Eb figuring out the relationship.

The first three chapters all have a family focus (brothers/kids/grandfather) as a primary character dynamic. Those two and Maggie have some focus - and Thomas has his own kid on the way.

Authors at Butchers level don’t set the stage like that without having a payoff in mind.

I’m 50/50 on whether or not it results in the death of one of the two of them at a point designed for maximum feels.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  16. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

It's also interesting to note that Maggie stayed hidden the entire time that Eb was there. He still doesn't know she's with Harry now.

17. Ched

Noticed that too and found it slightly odd/curious/interesting. It might get revealed in Chapter 4 though, once the more 'serious' aspect of the discussion is over.

Interesting that Mouse came out though.

18. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

I'm doubting it, IIRC, Harry explicitly told him not to ask where she was going back in Changes. I don't think he's going to be very charitable in handing out any extra information now. Every extra person who knows about her is a potential danger. Dresden's mother and Eb's relationship being found out partially triggered the events in Changes, limiting that info might prevent some threats (not sure I think the logic really follows all the way through there, but since when has that stopped Dresden either).

19. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Chapter three is a definite improvement on chapter two. It was far more concise and it feels like they might have been written some time apart.

I have no major predictions, it feels like it's set up so that
    Butcher wants people to think that Thomas will betray Harry only for it to be someone else at the last minute. My bet is on Ebenezer reluctantly having to betray him and saying something like, "I tried to warn you."

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  20. Ched

Yeah - the ‘obvious’ setup is too obvious. I like where you’re going with that, especially if...

Eb ends up having to betray Harry only to be thwarted by Thomas sacrificing himself for Harry in some way.

Still find it curious that Mouse left Maggie in the closet or whatever to visit. Yes, Mouse is smart enough to know if his presence would be missed and to make an appearance. But still curious.