1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Peace Talks - Dresden Files [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Erotic Adventures of S, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Raiko

Raiko Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I'm thinking the betrayal will be Ramirez. He and Ebenezer are the two people from the white council who would cause Harry the most pain, and Butcher loves to make Harry suffer.

I think Eb will play the role of the older mentor who dies later in the series.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I’m not sure if that by itself would be surprising enough or generate enough feels though.
    Yeah, it’s true that they’re friends and that Ramirez has been around in the series since he as an apprentice.

But I don’t have any trouble to seeing a potential path to his ‘betrayal.’ Just make Ramirez loyal to the White Council and put him in direct conflict with Harry over a big enough issue.

No one - Harry himself included - is pretending that the Winter Mantle isn’t affecting him. He hangs out with the white court. He’s into all sorts of shady shit and always scraping by to get out of them.

Friends or not I can easily see a situation where Ramirez has to choose and doesn’t choose to side with Harry in a “sorry about this but no choice” way. Harry probably sees that too and will have planned for it, at least to some extent.

3. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

My long running guess
    for the big traitor in the Council is Listens to Wind, but he won't out himself by backstabbing Harry. I think it's a few books too early for it to happen yet, but I think that when he does it'll be by killing McCoy. He strikes me as the perfect traitor, simply because he really is a good character. Both in the amount of care and effort Jim has put into him, and in the sense of being portrayed so strongly as one of the good guys. There's also his backstory of having to choose between upholding the ideals of the council or involving himself in mortal affairs to protect his tribe, and choosing the council is such a fitting setup for him to have become more and more disillusioned with the council when he rose through the ranks and saw time and again that it does not live up to that sacrifice, every time petty politicking and person gain is placed above the ideals he sacrificed everything for, being a slap in the face. It's not hard to imagine the scene when he's exposed to Harry, trying to make him see, that with all Harrys experiences with the council he has to be the one who can understand how betrayed LtW feels. Throw in a callback to how Harry felt when he found out about the Blackstaff, and just what McCoy really is. Serious guess, because we pretty much know McCoy has to bite it at some point, and this feels

As for the immediate
    issue of just who is going to be sticking the knife in while Harry is distracted by his expulsion from the council? For giggles, I'm going to take an absolutely wild stab in the dark and say that Lara has gotten to someone, maybe Karrin. Because come on, when has Jim ever given us reason to expect him to let Harry off as lightly as Carlos turning traitor? Also plays well into McCoys distrust of Thomas, Thomas being set up as the initial suspect, and the big reveal to McCoy of just why Harry trusts him. That's a wild stab on Karrin being the knife, bit stronger guess on Lara being the one holding it. Something about Skin Game, it just really felt too much like an ending to her story for Karrin to survive this book.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  4. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Am I the only one who thinks that it's a red herring with how obvious it is?

5. Ched

You’ll have to be more specific. I think that there are obvious red herrings here as indicated above. I suspect that what I suspect will happen instead may ALSO be a red herring.

I’m glad the damn thing will be out soon. This chapter release thing is damn good marketing.

6. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I mean, we could always be hopeful and guess that
    the betrayal is Molly killing Karrin.

That would work, right?

7. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

Would work for me.

8. Psychotic Cat

I think what Jon is referring to as a possible Red Herring is
    McCoys theory that the reason their enemies want Harry distracted by council politics is to stab him in the back. Which is a good point. Even if it isn't about Harry himself, it's just common sense to take his potential interference into account if they're going to be doing anything in Chicago, and make plans to avoid it. It wouldn't even be the first time either, Harry spent Changes thinking he was the one Arianna was after too.

Also, sorry Seratin, while that would be one hell of a plot-twist, there's one very important thing to consider that makes it impossible for me to subscribe to.
    That shit would sink my ship harder than the Titanic.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  9. Seratin

High Score:
    Nah @Psychotic Cat Harry would be understanding about it. The mantle made her do it.

10. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

You know the most amazing backstab? Maggie being replaced by a changeling who then stabs Harry in the back.

11. Seratin

High Score:
    Maggie was a Thalmor spy all along.

12. Ched

Strike that. Reverse it.

13. Donimo

Donimo Auror

He made it from a tree on Demonreach and it glows with the same color as Alfred.

14. Psychotic Cat

So, what you're saying Ched is that...
    after Cold Days, Murphy developed a taste for that sweet sweet fairy blood? God, imagine the next conversation between Mab and Harry after that. Talk about awwwkward

15. Ched

Anything to remove the most annoying character one of the most annoying characters in the series - bye Molly!

Edit - I bet if you could give me a thumbs down I'd be rolling in 'em right now! Mwahahaha... and yes, my dislike of Molly is played up for my own amusement. She's actually meh moreso than she is the worst.

16. Hymnsicality

Hymnsicality Seventh Year

It's pretty much a given that Murph dies right? What with her being based on Jim's ex wife and being oddly absent in the post Battlegrounds short story set at Christmas.

17. Donimo

Donimo Auror

She can't come back as a Valkyrie if she doesn't die.

18. Ched

19. Seratin

High Score:
    I'd completely forgotten about that and it hit just as hard this time around. Even more excited now.

20. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Is that confirmed as being after both of the next two novels? It was published back when we only knew about Peace Talks (not doubting, just been super out of the loop).

Since we're on the subject, there are 4 microfictions that got published to Butchers website, you need to scroll a bit but all of them are at - https://www.jim-butcher.com/?s=Microfiction&searchsubmit=

The Morgan one is ... revealing. I really hope this shows up in the main series