1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Peace Talks - Dresden Files [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Erotic Adventures of S, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Donimo

Donimo Auror

It was published last Christmas, we didn't know about Battle Ground then, but Butcher was already in the publication process, so they knew.

2. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Yeah, after thinking about that for a second, I remembered that they were supposed to be one book so it doesn't really matter. I blame the beer tonight :cool:

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Not sure on confirmation about the Christmas story. Hadn’t read any of these microfictions. There’s a survey for who he writes next too.

The Kincaid one got me.

4. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

The same. I really want them to appear in this book and considering what information we have about the next few future books there is no better opportunity. Unless something changed, three other themes that Butcher mentioned are mirror mirror, the wrestling with the gods and something about dragons. While Ivy could be involved in any of them, only the peace talks are a place where she could be expected to appear. The additional book about this Last Titan depends on what exactly is a titan in DF and if it's somehow connected to the Archive's job.

5. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Would anyone be interested in some re-read threads leading up to the release?

6. Donimo

Donimo Auror

We could just do them for the last couple. It's getting pretty close now. I'm on Small Favors in my re-listen.

7. Ched

I re-read Skin Game pretty recently as it is (last month sometime). Tempted to re-read Ghost Story and Cold Days but neither one really excites me.

8. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    LittleChicago and Zeelthor did a pretty comprehensive summary of the entire series a few pages back for those interested. Maybe snip those posts and put them in a thread of their own and start discussion from that?

9. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've been re-reading Cold Days. Figured I'd just start after Changes and get the quick refresh before the books. I'd be up for some threads.

10. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Two of those were heartwrenching. Damn.

11. Celestin

It has been a long time since I read them, but was Morgan's relationship with Dresden's mother ever mentioned in the books?

I'm not really into rereading books, sometimes I read scenes I liked, but I'm reading DF wiki to refresh my memory. One thing that I would like to finally get clarification about after all these years is how exactly the Outsiders work.

Unless I'm confusing something, they're suppose to be servants of the Old Ones, but there is where it gets tricky because other information suggest that the Old Ones are creatures of this world that were simply vanished and the Archive's job is to erase any mention of them because without humans being aware of them, they can't exists in similar manner to gods being powered by humans' belief. Could it be that the Outsiders managed to conquer some race on the Outside to do their job? Or did they create them there?

And since some Old Ones remain asleep on this world, are monsters trapped on the Demonreach another group of them or are they a complete different group of monsters?

Other thing I would like is to finally get some more info about parts of the world that aren't a secret to Harry. For example, he worked in earlier books with a demon, but we have no information about structure of their society.

12. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

The Old Ones are not Outsiders. Old Ones are creatures like Dagon, elder gods from a forgotten age, but still fundamentally a part of reality. They're immensely dangerous, but still belong to reality, that's why they're dealt with by being stuck in Demonreach and the like. The Oblivion War and the Archive are all about removing metal knowledge of them, because the way they interact with the world is through mortals and their beliefs.

Outsiders, on the other hand, are antithetical to reality, Other in the truest sense of the word.

As for the other questions, there's basically nothing in the books about Morgan and Dresden's mom. All we really know is that the Council at large really didn't trust Margaret McCoy, for a lot of very good reasons, and so Morgan almost certainly viewed her in a similar light to how he saw Dresden himself later. In fact, I imagine a lot of his treatment of Dresden came ultimately from "I saw how your mother turned out, and you've already started down that road".

And as for demons, there's no info on that yet, nor is there likely to ever be any. "Demon" is just jargon for "thing from the Nevernever that isn't a Faerie". There's not a lot of unity or standardization there. The closest we come to meaningful information is that it's fairly likely Chauncy, from the early books, regularly works with Hell and/or the Fallen

13. Celestin

That explanation works, but I was under impression that the Outsiders served the Old Ones. It's probably something from the fandom then.

My impression after microfiction about Morgan is exactly the opposite. To me it was more, "I promised to take care of you and I failed, I need to at least make sure you're a good guy or take you down myself".

14. Jon

They are the foot soldiers of the Old Ones. (dead beat)

Presumably there are tiers of Old Ones and while there are a few captured on demonreach, there are many, many more and much, much more horrific ones on the Outside.

15. Agayek

Certainly possible; I don't recall any mention anywhere of Morgan having any kind of personal relationship with Margaret Le Fay, so my assumption is that it'd be a professional one between cop and trouble-seeker. Morgan's definitely not my favorite character though, and I could easily have just missed/forgotten about some relationship being established there.

Re: Old Ones, I'm pretty sure "Outsiders serve the Old Ones" is fanon and comes originally from people conflating the Oblivion War and keeping Outsiders Outside. I re-read dead beat semi-regularly, and I don't remember any mention of the Old Ones in there, or much Outsider discussion at all really. You know roughly where in the book that's at @Jon ?

16. Jon

Okay so Chapter 31. It's after the remaining Wardens come to assist Harry after the Red Court smashes them.

17. Agayek

Oh yeah, right, when the Red Court rode up on the Council with Outsiders helping them. I'd forgotten all about that. Makes sense.

18. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This angers me because I like Agayek's version more, it's much neater.

19. Ched

Whoever has access to ‘Monsters’ from the last Anthology I’d be curious about it - haven’t read it yet but I really liked Goodman Grey as a character.

20. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Got a few rules on Warez so Ched edited this - anyone else reading this spoiler might want to PM this poster tho!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2020