1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Peeves of fan-fiction

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sword of Elisha, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

I might have mentioned this already - I've certainly done my full share of complaining - but here's one:

Our Hero/Heroine goes to Ollivanders and it takes hundreds of tries to match their wand. Ollivander is a *professional,* he's done this for a long time; decades at least. He should usually be able to match everyone in four attempts or so, and certainly NOT while destroying his entire stock and wrecking the building itself.

HP&tPS made it clear that Harry's failure to match hundreds of wands is highly unusual. Ollivander was *thrilled* at the challenge. This implies that usually it isn't a challenge. Let's make the guy competent, OK?

2. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

In case you missed it:
    You've damn-near dominated this thread, pointing out stuff that is mostly ignorable. LOL why bother reading this shit if you're just gonna complain about it?

You've boo hoo'd enough; put away the Whine List, hmm?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  3. Kaz Hirai

Kaz Hirai Squib

"Why bother reading this shit if you're just gonna complain about it?" Because people like reading stories that aren't shit. Unfortunately, these stories are very rare, leading us to accidentally read scores upon scores of terrible stories. The decision to keep looking for good fanfiction despite the untalented hacks who flood communities with bad stories and the idiots who tolerate them is a subjective value judgment that each reader makes on their own. Pretending to understand the criteria for Banner's judgment better than she, herself, does to apologize for a prevalent contrivance like Olivander's newfound incompetence is nothing but grade-A FF.net style whining. Maybe you are the one who should stop boo-hooing.

4. azrael

azrael Professor

I hate repeated spelling and grammar errors. For God's sake, take the time to read through your own fic and see if what you wrote even makes sense first.

Another peeve of mine is when Harry runs into Dudley, Dudley acts apologetic and Harry just forgives him without a second thought. Really, this kid was a little bitch to you for your entire childhood, you are not just going to get over that right away and be his best friend. On a related note, I hate fics where Dudley ends up going out with or marrying a witch or a squib and does not have a problem with it. These types of huge personality shifts do not just happen randomly like I have seen in some stories.

Other peeves include Severitus, Redeemed!Snape, Harry forgives Snape. I do not like fics where James and Lily are portrayed as the perfect people, either. It is understandable that their friends would want to remember their positive traits, but it is not doing Harry any good to ignore the faults of his parents.

Another pet peeve, which I am sure other people have already mentioned on this thread, is fics where Remus steps in and Harry accepts him as a father figure to replace Sirius. For the one year that Harry and Remus actually spent with each other, their relationship was that of a teacher and student, maybe a little friendlier than normal. Aside from that one year, Remus has ignored Harry, and he has no right to expect instant acceptance.

I have more peeves, I just think they have already been mentioned in excess, and I have ranted long enough.

5. FollowTheReaper

FollowTheReaper Professor

Someone should do a full parody fanfic of this thread...
    Edit: I'm late, aren't I?