1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Perfect Slytherins - Tales from the First Year by Jeconais (Series: WiP)

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by knothead, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Brielle

Brielle Squib

I love most of Jeconais work and this one is no different. Jeconais is one of the few authors who can pull off a superpowered!Harry without ruining the story.
    The line:
    nearly made me forgive the Hermione/Wednesday scene at the end.
    This story, like all of the stories on FFA is pure quality and I cannot wait for more.

Just like nearly everyone else who has posted in this thread infact.

2. mathiasgranger

mathiasgranger Slug Club Member

It is a very entertaining take on a rarely used premise.

The Addams family always made for interesting viewing, and add a certain something to the Potterverse that is otherwise lacking.

4.5/5

3. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Updated today.

For a story with the Addams family, this chapter sure lacked humor. Actually, I find the characterization of this story to be one of its main weaknesses. The characterization of Wednesday and the other Addams in Tenhawk's "Alexander Harris and the Shadow Council" is far superior. In this story, by making Wednesday and Harry so uber compared to their classmates, along with their droll personalities makes for boring main characters.

The chapter itself dragged. The fact that Hermione has friends in Slytherin made for a poor impetus to resort her into Slytherin. Every Ginny scene was just plain awkward. The exposure of Lockhart has been done better by other authors. Frankly, the only virtue of this story is the characterization of Snape.

Compared to Hope and Perfect Situations, this story is naught but a pale shadow.

2/5

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  4. squiz

squiz Squib

Hopefully jeconais won't take another 2 years before updating this story again. You can always count on having a few laughs during this series as long as you don't take it too seriously.

5. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

... He just updated again this week.

And once more I struggled to read it. My previous comments still apply.

6. BioHazard82

BioHazard82 Squib

Wow, you never really apperiate a good summary until it catches your attention to a story, who's crossover you thought wouldn't go well together, and ended up really enjoying it.

Can't wait to read the next year for the story. It looks like it takes a while between years for it to be updated, but should be worth the wait.

4/5

7. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Story has updated, in case anyone's still reading this.

8. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

He's claiming to be posting one part of year 3 a week (3 parts?), but I have my doubts.

Regardless, I quite like this. I actually like the Snape PoV, even if his characterization isn't perfect. He's at least...changed as the stories went on a bit, so I can respect character development. Just need to suspend belief a tad.

9. aaltwal

aaltwal Auror

Somehow, the part with the Hellraiser didn't fit well with the rest of Perfect Slytherin so far.

Having a Cenobite Addams relative that may or may not destroy Harry and Wednesday is not really in line with the Addams Family motto theme.

It was still an excellent read, but I'd prefer seeing a Harry that doesn't submit or lower himself to anyone, even if it's an immortal being or not.

He's on his way to succeeding Gomez as the family head when he marries Wednesday, so other than his future wife, he shouldn't kneel before anyone.

10. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

I can agree with the Hellraiser aspect feeling like it was thrown in simply 'becuz it seems kewl lulz'. I'll refrain from passing judgement on it, because it could be interesting later on - just seems out of place currently.

11. Hugo

Hugo Second Year

I love the way this Super Harry is turning out but bowing before anyone, is not in the character of an Adam...

And I get that Harry is supposed to be the center of this fic..especially the way Jeconais writes, but what about the other Adam family members? If you do a cross over, isn't it your duty to make sure that all characters (from whatever series) are equally represented? The point of this rant is I can't find scenes where Pugsley is the center of an explosion, confrontation...anything...he's sooo focussed on Harry that he's disregarding the main characters of the series he's using; totally Jeconais's style but still...

End Rant

Story Rating: 3/5

12. aaltwal

aaltwal Auror

It's Addams. Addams Family. He's an Addams.

I disagree, he's done the Addams Harry Potter fairly well. If you focus too much on the other character's development, then the plot would not be moving at all. He's given equal time to Harry and Wednesday, both the main protagonists of their own genres.

He twisted the Addams cartoons into something deeper, serious and even sick, yet remaining faithful to the theme of Family first. He got inspiration from Ishtar's excellent story Family Values, and added his own style to it.

I forgot to give a rating: 5/5 for me.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  13. AAli

AAli High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

14. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

Wednesday smiled faintly. “Tell them,” she whispered.

“We started in this room,” Harry said in a voice that was barely a whisper. “We could see ourselves, and we could see that our bodies were just shells. So we went, up, speed was irrelevant as we had no mass. We were pure thought. We stopped and looked down on the planet, but it wasn’t enough.

“We moved away, slowing for the planets, and then speeding up again. We tried to find a limit to how far we could go, but we couldn’t, we were imagination itself.

“We paused, when our solar system was barely a blink of an eye and looked around. Everywhere we looked was beautiful, colours you can’t believe, sights never before seen, we could hear the sounds of the cosmos.

“But it wasn’t enough, and we knew that there wasn’t much time, so we flew, faster and faster, through our galaxy, through the next, doubling in speed every minute. We flew through solar systems like they were dust, galaxies like they were cardboard boxes.

“And the more we saw, the more we felt it. The more we felt what the price was. The knowledge we held was too much, too big, and it demanded payment. It demanded our sanity. But we didn’t slow down, we knew we were running out of time, so we kept going, kept viewing the next horizon.

“Until we stopped, or maybe we didn’t, the price was demanded. The universes stood before us and demanded we pay, they were horrible, they were incomprehensible, indescribable, they were creation and destruction, life and death, trillions of planets making up billions of galaxies making hundreds of millions of universes, and we could see it all. We stared infinity in the face, and it demanded our sanity.”

“What happened?” Pugsley asked softly.

“We spat in its eye and returned,” Harry said calmly. “Our sanity is our own.”

I cannot stop laugh at how fucking terrible this passage is.

Seriously how in the hell is this story in the library? It might have been good enough when it started but it's so bad now it barely makes the grade for Almost Reccomendable.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  15. EthyleneGlycol

EthyleneGlycol Second Year

It's amazing how far the quality of Jeconais' work has dropped over the last few years. He used to be able right things like that and make you believe it, because the quasi-fairy tale world he had created was engrossing enough that you didn't care if something was absurd or totally implausible, he was a good enough writer to be able to pull it off. For instance,
    The dragon scene from This Means War is a good example.
    You knew what you were reading was something totally implausible and shouldn't be in a serious work of fiction, but he was able to make it work.

Now his prose is very bland, and his "epic" moments are laughable. I don't think he's even trying anymore. I haven't actually read this particular story since the opening chapters, but I'm basing my critique from the little bit I have read of his most recent stuff.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  16. AAli

AAli High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

17. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

It's an okay chapter. I've just been accustomed to his stuff when he was actively trying to be published professionally. I think that the 3rd Year series wasn't as nearly as good as the first two years.

Incidentally, it's a pity that Ishtar's not added anything to her Harry/Wednesday fanfic. I think that's superior to this one.

18. FreakLord

FreakLord Professor DLP Supporter

That really cracked me up. :D

19. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  20. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Thanks for the info. I fixed the link and added the sequels.