1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.11

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

WTF.

My newest pet peeve are your posts.

2. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well she will if she doesn't want several little Harrys running about.

3. silentclock

silentclock Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

So, Lord Hadrian James Potter-Black-Slytherin is peachy, but Lord Hadrian James Potter-Black-Slytherin-Ravenclaw is too much? Got it.

My pet peeve is when Harry has more than 5.3 billion galleons in his vaults.

4. Rico Rodriguez

Rico Rodriguez Banned

Nice to know my posts have such an impact on you.

Harry being the Lord of one of the Founder House is good, but two at the same time makes me feel like he has all that power and he uses it just for showing off.

You should know I didn't mean it like that.

5. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

My peeve is bringing up his exact amount of money at all. I can't think of a single story where it actually mattered, with the partial exception of Bungle.

6. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I mean it was annoying for the first few years of fanfiction where Harry literally never used his money or title to his advantage. The fact that everyone is always making him use all of his resources doesn't particularly impress me, but it doesn't surprise me either.

7. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Its because they have no clear understanding of what a 'Resource' is or how to plan to use them. Its because if they knew how to write that out, they wouldn't be writing fan-fiction to begin with. To most people the amount of money, not just that you're rich is what truly means you're well off and that it would impress another person.

Like, people that give gifts, often they don't care about the gift in general. But you will pick something out that has a certain valued associated with it, because if they were to find out how much you paid for it, they would be suitably impressed by that. Because it means you value them more, etc. I'm rambling.

I'd really like a story where, much like canon Harry is faced with trials and tribulations associated with the defeat of Voldemort. But I'd like it to be wrote better. Characteristically remaining the same, but modifying and twisting the setting, exploring different relationships etc.

Not everything has to be about Lord Biggus Dickus and his money bags, and how much poon he's slain now, and will in the future. But that's the things people are obessed about

8. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Yes, the current meta is an amoral, proactive, intelligent Harry and that essentially requires that he use the resources at his disposal, as the excuse that he doesn't realize he has them just isn't as valid as it was in canon for some reason. I would hope not to be venturing too far by saying that authors have imitated other authors who have experienced success with these tropes and the current meta for Harry is as different as possible from the canon depiction, as well as the meta we remember from a few years ago(for the most part). Readers get tired of the same tropes and the writers respond by using different tropes. As far as I can tell, it really is that simple. If I'm correct about this, there's no need to worry, since readers will get tired of the current meta and we'll see something different.

I'd say people's evaluation of gifts would depend on your relationship with them and why the gifts are being given.

9. Plotless

Plotless High Inquisitor

Giving your main character shitloads of money just makes it really hard to relate to them to be honest.

10. Rico Rodriguez

Rico Rodriguez Banned

The Biggest Pet Peeve For Me (and I think for most of you): Abandoning A Story, and a story which is promising or great. (and I am directly looking at you Forging The Sword)

11. Download

High Score:
    "Herms". Who the fuck could actually think that is a good shortened version of Hermione.

12. Microwave

Microwave Professor

Thank god your story was absolute shit when you abandoned it, right?

13. Rico Rodriguez

Rico Rodriguez Banned

Not abandoned, trying for a better re write, while the new plot has many major differences from the old one, and toned down the length. If there is any advice you can give me, please give it. I am also looking through various writing advice threads, including Halt's and the dialogues thread.

14. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Professor

In Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga Herms are a genetically engineered third gender with both sets of sexual organs and mixture secondary sexual characteristics. From this we can conclude that if anyone should be called Herms it is Cho. :)

15. Noble Korhedron

Noble Korhedron First Year

Woah, banned already?! WTF did he do?

16. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

He bullshat the forum quite persistently.

17. Noble Korhedron

Noble Korhedron First Year

Noted; thanks for at least replying.

18. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

Normally I manage to skip over people confusing words but just read one that had violation instead of volition and argh.

19. Download

High Score:
    Anyone seriously referring to magical political blocs as "light blocks" and "dark blocs", as if some group would want to be tarnished with that name. Yeah, someone might say it derogatorily, but it's not going to be an official name.

Conservative and liberal or some variation.

20. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    "I have only supported the Dark Lord due to him casting an imperius curse on me. Now, do you want to hear about my political party - the Dark?"