1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.11

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    There's a reason HP/YM is used, because it takes up less characters than Harry Potter/Your Mother or even Pother.

2. Noble Korhedron

Noble Korhedron First Year

Yeah, I was pointing out to @Silirt why that is the case, i.e. less character usage, etc. His gripe was that he hates portmaneaus, I was trying to point out why they're necessary...

3. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

I'm down to read a HP/YM parody now, lmao.

4. StrangeReport

StrangeReport Squib

Special wand that has the core from a super rare magical creature, or more than one core (I wouldn't be against this one depending on the execution) just to say that the character (Harry, usually) is a snowflake in any magical area. I'd prefer playing with wandlore, which can foreshadow character development, if used in moderation.

5. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    Yep, and I was pointing out why Portmanteaus are unnecessary. It's better to just use letters to explain the relationship as it saves space.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Don't have a problem with more than one core as long as it doesn't overpower a wand or lend itself to some kind of stupid silliness. But, if they have one core to tame the eccentricities of another core so it fits the user, there's nothing wrong with that.

"I think I might try . . . this—" The wand barely touched @Arthellion's hand before a hail of conjured rocks shattered the front window.

@Oz stomped his way from the back room. "Damn it, Arthellion. That's the third time. You know you can't handle a Dragon-Heartstring core unless it's paired with Fairy Dust or Fairy Hair to settle the explosive qualities."

Oz looked around the store one more time. "That's it. You're banned."

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  6. zugrian

zugrian Fourth Year

I've got a new one. Why is it that so very many Harry/Slytherin girl stories have to feature sexual assault? Fuck, that puts me right off stories, and even worse when there's no warning. Fanfiction is supposed to be escapism. If I want to be depressed, I'll watch the news.

7. quixoticcool

quixoticcool Third Year

High Score:
    While I think the inclusion of sexual assault in fanfiction is usually ham-fisted at best, I think it's a bit much to expect an author to tell you beforehand anytime they might push you outside your comfort zone.

8. zugrian

zugrian Fourth Year

It's not a question of comfort zones. If I'm reading something in the humor category, a massive tonal shift to dark depressing rape is just bad writing.

And its almost always when Harry's with a Slytherin girl.

9. Pathological Liar

Pathological Liar Second Year

Lack of a deep psychological relationship between Harry and Voldemort.

I mean, Harry had a piece of Voldies soul stuck in his head for years, it must have influenced him somehow, or even if it didn't, the relationship between Harry and Voldemort is not up to what I would like.

Voldemort killed his parents, his friends, his godfather, basically most of the people he cared about, and still he uses only an Expelliarmus to beat him, that's in Canon.

In most fanfics, he kills Voldemort just out of necessity, not out of revenge or anger. That irks me out, a normal person would have tried to use more powerful spells or even use his anger to power his spells if ever confronted with the guy who killed his loved ones.

Basically, I think I like a deep and complex psychological relationship between Harry and Voldemort. And I have only seen it in only a handful of fics.

10. Donimo

Donimo Auror

In canon when Harry confronts Voldemort he's doing it from a position of strength. Harry is such a badass he asks Voldemort to repent before he kills him.

I'd love to see more made of connections they share though. Elsewhere but not Elsewhen is the only fic I've ever seen that went the other way with things. Harry has the pure soul and stronger will, yet it fanfiction he's always the one influenced instead of Voldemort.

11. Noble Korhedron

Sorry, I misunderstood you point; also, regarding wand cores, is there any canon rule set as to the ins and outs of wand lore? O rhas that been left unknown by She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named...?

12. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Pretty largely unknown. I think.

Taure and a couple others would know more.

13. MrBucket

MrBucket Fifth Year

14. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    It happens. No issue.

It depends on how you view Ollivander. Is what he says canon fact for wandlore, or is he fallible in his information? I tend to think his words can be taken as canon fact. I don't believe he was ever shown to be wrong, and in his parts of the story, there's always an air of authority dealing with wands. So . . .

Wand lore (or better said, all we're told in canon about wands from Ollivander):
    1. The wand chooses the wizard.

2. Only two wands were ever made from Fawkes's feathers.

3. Veela hair is temperamental as a core.

4. Wands can and usually do change allegiances (but not always) if it has been one from another person (context indicates a duel).

5. Ten and a quarter inch long wands that are swishy and made of willow are "nice for charm work."

6. Mahogany wands that are 11 inches long and pliable are more powerful and excellent for transfiguration.

7. 13.5 inch Yew wands are very powerful.

8. "You will never get such good results with another wizard's wand" (but see number 4, winning a wand makes it much more loyal).

9. Wands can carry connections with other wands based on the base material (core in canon, but perhaps others) coming from the same living entity.

10. Severely damaged wands (as in snapped wands) cannot be restored by normal means (the Elder wand is not a normal mean).

11. Wands and wizards have symbiotic relationship in that they learn from each other and have a mutual question for experience.

12. Wands do not act on their own (as Harry's did in the Battle of the Seven Potters). That was a unique situation.

13. There is a bunch of wandlore about the Elder wand, but frankly, it bores me.
    We also know that wizards refuse to share wandlore. And, if we take Griphook at his word, wands extend powers.

15. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

As far as actual wand construction is concerned, it seems like just about anything goes, as long as you follow the basics of "stick part of a magical creature in a piece of wood."* And we know that "magical creature" can include something as human as a veela.

Isolt Sayre knew jack about wand construction, and she still built two (in a cave, with a box of scraps) with nothing but horn shavings from a horned serpent and wood that her completely muggle husband carved, after she looked at a pair of broken wands and said, "Ay op, that is definitely magical animal bits in a piece of wood."**

It really makes you scratch your head and wonder why Ollivander is the only wand crafter we know of, who operates in England. It also raises questions about how useful it really is, in a criminal investigation, to check someone's wand. If making a "burner" wand is as easy as boring a hole in a nice stick and cramming a kneazle hair in it, everybody and their maiden aunt would have three stuffed in their sock, just in case.

Yeah, it works like shit, but it was good enough to cast Imperius on that muggle over there, and then I just break the thing in half and go on about my business...

All those stories with indie!Harry learning how to craft wands... The canon on the subject would seem to indicate that the notion is much less complex than most authors make it, but simultaneously something Harry could much more realistically manage to pull off, were he so inclined.

*I'm sure though that, any day now, JKR will retcon that the materials have to be collected on a certain day, in a certain way, by a strictly diverse group of very special snowflakes, so keep your eyes peeled.
    **And I just retconned an Irish lass into a Yorkshire girl for no reason.

16. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    While I'm sure making a wand isn't difficult, making a good and reliable wand is. Though for a criminal burner wand you probably don't need good and reliable. It probably only needs to work once if you get the drop on someone.

17. Pathological Liar

Pathological Liar Second Year

Idiot! Ron
    SuperSmart! Hermione
    Ultra Powerful! Harry, and wand.
    Neglectful and abusive parents in WBWL fics.
    Idiot! WBWL Bro
    Son of a Marvel/DC Superhero! Harry
    Adopted by a super hero! Harry
    Fem Harry for no reason other than to pair him(her?) with another Fem character
    Drarry and any slash pairings, for Harry, Ron, Draco, Snape, Voldemort.
    Unable to kill anyone! Harry.
    mod! Harry fics where he absorbs all Hallows and gets Hallows tattoos in his 'rock hard' biceps.

18. zugrian

zugrian Fourth Year

Personally, I wouldn't be so against slash if the authors ever paired Harry with a guy that made some amount of sense. It's seemingly always either Malfoy, Snape, or Voldemort. Villains that want to kill him, or at the least hate his guts.

What the fuck is up with that?

But then again, there are apparently a ton of Dramione fans out there, which is just as nuts.

19. Donimo

Donimo Auror

You can tell a lot about a story by how they address Snape and Malfoy in the narrative.

20. Noble Korhedron

Who's Isolt Sayer?