1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.11

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jun 10, 2016.

1. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Harry's first name comes from his great grandfather and his middle name from his father, it's really not that weird.

2. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

It's a far cry from straight up naming him/her the same.

3. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Honestly, the authors of WBWL!Twin!Harry fics are so original and creative that if instead of twins they wrote about triplets, the third kid would've been named Potter Potter.

4. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This fucker keeps writing "oops" as "ups". And the protagonist says it constantly.

Absolutely killed the story for me.

5. Donimo

Donimo Auror

I occasionally see cos or cuz or similar in place of because and it immediate infuriates me.

6. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    Could be a native German speaker, but yeah, I‘d find that infuriating as well. :wall:

7. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I hate it when people have no bothered to read/watch the source material, or have and just shit on things for no reason.

The other week I came across a Star Wars fic that had Leia land on Tatooine with C3PO and R2D2. It was a cool concept that was completely ruined by every interaction Leia had with Obi-Wan having some bizarre sexist undertone. I don't ever recall Obi-Wan displaying sexist views. In fact, I've never even seen such a thing in fanfic despite having read thousands of Star Wars fics.

8. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

Well of course space is sexist... no bras to burn.

9. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Not really a pet-peeve, more like a MAJOR FUCKING HATRED. I keep seeing stories full of shit about Harry "honouring his blood" or doing stuff just because his ancestors were known for it, and I can't stand that cringy crap.

Firstly, the whole point of the series was that blood and family don't really matter, and you can make your own path and your own decisions, whether your family was good or bad. The pureblooded Death Eaters were mostly useless or incompetent, and so was the general, traditional wizarding population. They certainly weren't sophisticated, well-mannered, Victorian lords and ladies.

Secondly, what kind of shitty protagonist just does things because that's what's expected of his bloodline? how pathetic is that? imagine having so little agency or personality that you'd do whatever your dead ancestors would want you to, simply because. It's the least interesting or relatable motivation possible, creating a boring and rigid, soulless character. And the most baffling thing about this is that this element is so common in independent!Harry stories, even though that's literally the opposite of an independent and free-thinking hero. Absolute mind-numbing idiocy.

/end rant, just had to get this out of my system

10. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

As I haven't posted anything on DLP in years I thought it fitting that I drop a post in here.
    My current pet peeve is that there are no fanfictions doing anything original anymore. When I open up a fanfic, I more often than not discover that I have read said fanfiction in some form or the other in the past.

11. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

"Harry Potter and The Harry Potter"

It kind of irks me when stories use titles that refer to Harry by two different names, as though they represent separate people. They're meant to imitate the actual book titles, but none of those ever say, "Harry Potter and A Euphemism for Harry Potter."

Harry sure as shit isn't a Chamber of Secrets, given that most of the people around him know more about him than he does, he isn't a Goblet of Fire or the Half Blood Prince and, unless you're writing about him having D.I.D., this kind of thing just strikes me as slightly dimwitted. A somewhat weak excuse is if you're writing "Harry Potter and The Last Werecentaur," and you're misguidedly hoping to keep secret the painfully obvious fact that Harry is, in fact, going to be the titular werecentaur, for some 'shocking,' mid-story, reveal. Come on, though.

Hypothetical Examples
    • Harry Potter and The Master of Death (wherein Harry is the Master of Death).
    • Harry Potter and The Boy Who Lived (wherein Harry is the Boy Who Lived, there's never any debate that he is, and a false BWL never makes an appearance).
    • Harry Potter and Voldemort's Submissive Butt-Boy (wherein Harry is written by a weirdo with one hand on their junk).
    • Hermione Granger and The Totally Correct Queen of The Ancient Society That Was Correct All The Time, So Why Aren't They Around Anymore, Shit I'm a Terrible Writer (wherein Hermione is... you get the idea).
    It's Harry Potter and The Harry Potter. They're just emulating the canon title pattern for the sake of doing it, whether it makes any sense or not.
    There are far worse things in the world of fan fiction but it gives the initial impression that the author might be a little soft in the head; unless the author really manages to justify their choice through their writing, my opinion tends to remain unchanged.

12. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Damsel-In-Distress!Fleur.

You know... when it turns out that Fleur is abused by one of her parents, or is a pariah due to her heritage, or whatever other cheap cliché authors use to change her from simply a pompous girl with relative talent, to a poor destitute damsel, just so that Harry could nobly swoop in with his decent attitude and save her from a lifetime of misery. I’m not a fan of Fleur either way, but this seems so common to the point of disgust. Can a 14-year-old boy not get a superhot quarter-veela trophy gf 3 years older than him by just being charming? Well, obviously not, but the alternative of them being together just because he saved her is just so... lame. Reeks of insecurity.

13. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    I mean, Harry's a bit of a sports star and he has the whole BWL thing going for him too. You really don't need to put in the whole abusive parent thing, or lack of self esteem or whatever to get them together.

14. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

"Chocolate eyes"

"Why is there no pizza in Hogwarts"

"muggle" used as qualifier for things that have no wizard equivalent anyway ("He had seen it in a muggle movie once")

15. James

James Unspeakable

I am, once again, hating the "Blushing to Wedding" kind of romance.

16. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Do you mean that you stopped hating it for a time?

17. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Authors who let their audience decide who they want the main pairing to be via a poll, because I suppose they don't care about actually telling their own story, and pairings are completely interchangeable without affecting the tone or direction.

Apparently now there are authors who actually let their Patreons decide on this. Because money rules.

18. James

James Unspeakable

No, I just remembered the Bernie meme.,

You know the romance is of high quality when the partner is decided via poll.

19. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

When Harry thinks of Hermione as "his best friend". Bitch, he barely cared about her emotional breakdown in PoA, was bored with her company in GoF (while dearly missing Ron), was constantly irritated by her in HBP, and barely talked with her for months despite being alone with her in a tent in DH (while dearly missing Ron). I can get it if your story has a different history for his character, but otherwise it's just bad revisionism. Or the result of watching the movies too much.

When the Wizengamot is divided into "light faction" and "dark faction". How fucking simple minded and one-dimensional can you get?

When Pomfrey inspects Harry’s health with some diagnostic spell halfway through his schooling and is astonished to find out that he is malnourished/a horcrux/has basilisk venom in his blood/has fractured magical core/is actually a girl/mentally retarded. She had him in her care for long periods of time for several years, she’s not gonna find out some entirely new revelation about a condition he had since forever. Just cringy shit made for drama’s sake.

20. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

But the reason she's astonished to discover this is because it's happened before and she was obliviated each time by evil Dumbledooooooore! Evil Dumbledore, guyzzzz! :wizard:

No lie, though, if a writer can make it entertaining enough, I'll totally read about a Dumbledore who's full of himself enough to obliviate Pomfrey, just because his plans are too important and foolproof (or, paradoxically, too fragile) to bother explaining to his little worker bees.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022