1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.7

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jan 31, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

I've never actually seen this, and I hope I never do.

Of course, now that you've mentioned it, I'll see it five times in the next week.

2. Infidel

Infidel Auror

A pet peeve of mine is stories set in worlds with magic that hardly have an magic in them. That's the best part of the story and I want more... at least as long it doesn't involve giving a male a womb.

3. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Werewolf! Harry. For some reason, I click the bright red X whenever I read a 'Werewolf' Harry.

4. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

Rogue/Rouge.

It seems like I'm seeing this everywhere now.

5. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Eye-sight correction potion. If it were to exist, I am sure Dumbledore would use that and so would McGonagall.

And for fucks sake, Snape as far as I know isn't Draco's godfather or his secret 'real father'.

Luna is a weird girl, albeit a nice one. She is not a immortal goddess in disguise or a seer pretending to be insane. We have Trewlany for that act.

Cornelius Fudge would never even see the office of the Minister of Magic if the events of Halloween 1981 play out differently or if Lucius Malfoy went to Azkaban.

Amelia Bones isn't a super minister. Voldemort suddenly wouldn't start losing if Amelia survived and became the minister.

NO, Severus Snape can never become a mentor to Harry Potter. He is a bitter foul man and would die alone.

Keep 'em coming boys and girls.

6. Immet

Immet Seventh Year

I get really frustrated whenever Harry is some beacon of niceness - especially if its part of a reason for a polygamous relationship where he is so loving and nice that his love is enough for lots of people. It gets worse if Harry is somehow incredibly powerful so girls are willing to have only a bit of time with him because he's too powerful for one girl. Although I will give it a pass if he becomes Dr. Manhattan powerful where he really can fuck several girls at once by himself.

From what I recall Harry has a sharp and slightly nasty sense of humour, and is affected greatly by peer pressure. Like lots of other normal kids. If it weren't for the troll he'd probably end up joining in teasing Hermione and in his first few years he'd probably either help bully Luna or at the best pretend not to notice it happening.

7. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

I blame canon with it's power of love 'blah, blah, blah' that fanon takes way too far.

To add to this, I despise when the masses on FFN take the power of love crap and claim that all Voldemort really needs is a hug. :facepalm

8. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

When authors don't close their brackets.

(Saw this yesterday and it drove me up the fucking wall. How hard is it?) < See? How hard?

9. blab

blab Second Year

It annoys me when a story features a ton of Daily Prophet articles, all written by Rita Skeeter. It's just, ugh, you usually don't have to read them to know what's in there.

You're right.
    I had to convince somebody that this wasn't canon once. To be fair, it isn't explicitly said that Snape isn't Draco's godfather and the Vow he takes from Narcissa is kinda godfathery (watching over the child in case the real father isn't able to). On the other hand, in PS Draco says that Snape is a "close family friend" or something to brag about how he is going to be favored in potions class. If Snape were his godfather he would have mentioned that instead. And Narcissa would have used that while begging for that Vow.

10. Rache

Rache Headmaster

The vow wouldn't be required if Snape was godfather, except for the killing part. The fact that Snape favors Draco is proof enough that Azkaban is the place for him. After the murder attempts, even Draco gets a happily ever after. I can tolerate that, but 'Albus Severus Potter' is unbearable.

Which brings me to my next pet-peeve. 'Albus Severus', 'James Arthur', James Fredrick' or 'Sirius Remus'. WTF are these. Is creativity so low in wizards that they resort using the same names again and again. Blacks can be forgiven for they were 'inbred' to the fullest. But Harry naming his poor kids that way is sheer blasphemy.

11. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

Harry James. Ronald Bilius. Albus Percival. I think Ginevra Molly is also canon. Bartimaeus Sr. and Jr. Odds are I'm even forgetting a few. Let's not even mention the epilogue. Face it, lack of creativity in wizard names is totally canon.

12. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

James Sirius, Albus Severus, and Lily Luna is taking it a bit too far, IMO.

13. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Poor kids. If I were in their place, I wouldn't want to be named with such horrible names.

14. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I annoys me to no end when the whole school - often including all ages and even teachers - are apparently interested in Harry Potters normal day-to-day life. They are interested in his petty rivalries and who he makes friends with. Every little 'event' is immediately 'the talk of the whole school'. They have betting pools on who Harry will ask out on a date or who will win in his little duel with Draco.

Okay, Harry is a celebrity, but why would students several years above or below him care about whether he or Hermione will be the first one to master the new spell they learned in DADA?

If it's not something that is of importance to the whole school, like Quidditch games or something like the Goblet of Fire incident, I simply cannot imagine most of the other students caring that much about it. There are certainly some gossips in other years who would care to some extant what the 'celebrity' Harry Potter does, but in the stories I'm talking about it's never framed in such a limited way.

It's like every other student knows that Harry Potter is the main character of the story and they themselves are unimportant. Because of that they then care more about what's happening in Harry's life than their own.

15. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ah crap you're right! Now I have to rewrite something real quick...

16. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

Agreed. It's actually fairly common to have second names from close relatives (as far as I know, having one myself), and the "junior" naming convention does have it's point. But naming your kids after your schoolteachers in a blatantly obvious way is just creepy.

17. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

The fact that Harry honored Snape over Lupin is what pissed me off the most.
    Yes, kid, the guy helped save the world and was your mum's best friend, but he also emotionally abused you for six years. Lupin...well he's only been negligent.

Damn, he should've named the kid Albus Rubeus, shouldn't he.

18. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And Teddy Lupin was a figment of his imagiantion?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  19. Rache

Rache Headmaster

I dunno, but weren't Remus and Nymphadora the ones who named Teddy?:sherlock:

Auror!Harry. Canon pretty much tells us that Aurors spend more time grovelling near politicians's feet rather than catching and apprehending Dark Wizards and after everything, Harry still goes ahead and becomes an auror. Hell, he could be the next Dumbledore, albeit less senile and more 'action' minded and he settles for a job at the ministry.

Healer!Harry is cool though if Harry wants a 'peaceful' life. I mean being a 'healer' is the most plausible idea if Harry wanted a quite life rather than an 'Auror'.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  20. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    he still has a reminder of them, so he doesn't have to make his own.

Not open for further replies.