1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.7

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jan 31, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

That sounds like some kind of terrible disease.

"You remeber Tim? I heard he has been diagnosed with hagriddle!"

2. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

It is some kind of terrible disease. It plagues the mind forever.

3. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Sounds like some kind of haggis pancake to me.

Bloargh.

4. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wolfstar. I mean... really?

5. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This one hit me on the ride home yesterday: when 'hand crafted torture' (usually by Bellatrix or McNair, but sometimes Malfoy) is even more painful than the unforgivable torture curse. Seems like a pretty stupid idea and one I've never bought. If it wasn't so bad, I doubt it'd be an unforgivable.

6. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

To be honest I don't see why Crucio is unforgivable. Harry pretty much jumps right up after being hit by one, so it's not like it's all powerful. And it doesn't leave permanent damage unless used for too long. Only thing that makes it worse than a dozen other spells is that it goes straight through shields.

"Hand crafted" torture is definitely more personal, and adds the more visceral aspects that the clinical torture curse lacks. It might not be more painful per se, but there is a reason why "to the pain" means more than just pain...

7. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I have always assumed it's because of the intent behind using it as opposed to anything else.

The Cruciatus curse is used to make someone feel pain. Even if all the indy-fics are right, and it can be used to re-awaken coma patients, the primary use of it is simply to cause pain. And given what we see in canon, I fail to see a reason why Coma Awakus couldn't be another spell.

Compare it to a piercing hex. Certainly, it can be used to hurt, or even to kill. But it can also be used to bore holes through things - maybe to put a new doorknob in place, maybe to stick a peg into so you can hang a picture, maybe to pierce a girl's ears. On top of that, using it in those ways is sensible.

Or a leg-locker curse. This stops someone from walking, and would presumably have no effect on something that has no legs.
    However, you could use it to make sure that the town drunk doesn't go wandering off a bridge, or to keep somebody's legs still during surgery, or even in a duel.

The cruciatus curse is used to make things feel pain. That's it.

Sure, you can use that for 'good' things - nerve stimulation, fending off a murderer - but it isn't exactly a nice spell in any situation.

Unless you're into that kind of stuff.

8. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

I've really started hating stories that have pairings advertised in their summaries. For example a summary and then they say its going to be Harry/Fleur. I don't why the moment I see this I just immediately lose interest and I'll have to force myself to read but never really enjoy it.

I do have a question though , why are a lot of people so fascinated with pairings especially lately. I haven't seen any popular story right now discussed here that doesn't have pages and pages of discussions about pairings(kind of turned me of from cjenexious' fic to be honest)

9. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

I'm not saying it's nice, it's just that the whole "unforgivable" category of curses seems like a pretty badly thought out thing. It's not like murder, torture and mind control shouldn't be illegal anyway, regardless of the method. And the way various people get away with using them in canon makes them actually pretty forgivable.

I once thought out a conspiracy theory idea that the three unforgivable curses are just smoke screen by people like Malfoy to keep the government's eyes out of other nasty stuff they do, and to keep a trio of efficient and easy to use spells out from the hands of peasants who might not like the current distribution of wealth. It's not like the ministry is shown to be exactly efficient and incorruptible.

10. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

The only Unforgivable that is unblockable with magic is the Killing Curse. Pretty sure this "All Unfogivables are Unblockable" is fanon crap. Am I wrong?

Where's Taure? Where is my root beer schnapps?

11. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There's nothing in canon which explicitly says that the Cruciatus and Imperius are unblockable.

12. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

It would be pretty unrealistic if Magical Britain didn't have any badly thought out laws against doing things which were illegal anyway.

T3t
  13. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, in case you didn't know, real life is like that too. See: felony murder, conspiracy to xxxxx, xxxxx with a gun, etc. Oh yeah, and wire fraud.

I am not a lawyer. Nothing in this post is legal advice.

14. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I always figured it was because the curse was the most effective pain causing mechanism on the map. That is to say that it causes so much pain that even the other obviously painful curses (throwing up hurts after a while, after all) and other actively harmful spells for people, the cruciatus curse is just the best that there is at causing pain to another person.

Also, I somehow doubt that you can wake coma patients by stimulating their pain receptors. Otherwise, why the hell wouldn't we just do that and wake them up?

Similar with Harry getting "crucio'd" then getting back up, number 1, it's a kids book, and number 2, I doubt Rowling ever experienced actual torture, so she probably has no idea how it affects the nervous systems in an immediate way. Wiki says she has 3 kids, so she must have given birth, so either her perspective on pain is skewed (I've heard childbirth sucks) and 1,000 white hot knives stabbing you doesn't seem that bad from her perspective, she wanted to make a point about how determinator Harry is by him shaking off the effects, or she really just doesn't understand how pain affects the body.

All of those seem equally likely to me to be honest.

15. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I always found that they existed in a weird inverse proportion of effective potency in relation to the sadism needed to cast the curse. The cruciatus needs the most sadistic state of mind. What happened to the Longbottoms is arguably worse than death, and the desire, not even to end another's life, but to see them in abject suffering and humiliation, seems more malicious than a curse that Aurors were able to cast in the general interest of national defense (why authorize them otherwise). In battle however, or used only once, it seems to be the least potent or overpowered of the three.

The Killing Curse, while extremely effective, does have limits. It cannot be magically defended, but can be blocked with objects or evaded, and, as already said, seems to require (even with a cost of utter hatred or intent to murder) still less sadism than the Cruciatus.

From Harry's use of the Imperius Curse, it would seem that it could be cast almost casually, and yet its effects are some of the most broken in all of HP, offering, except in extremely rare or prolonged cases, seemingly total control of a target, able to be cast recursively at that.

16. redlibertyx

redlibertyx Professor

I'm sort of getting tired of people believing that the Deathstick is some sort of end-all super wand of supering. If you think about it, the Elder Wand is kind of a crappy wand. I'm also getting tired of people thinking the "Master of Death" title isn't meaningless drivel. Harry "mastered" death but it didn't turn him into some supernatural Merlin figure.

17. Damask

Damask Seventh Year

Romance arcs running completely parallel to the main plot, almost without any intersection. It's like fanfic writers just plop pairings into the story without thinking about how to properly integrate them, as if the point is just to have the pairing there rather than for it to enrich the story in some way. Simply put, if you could take the romance part out and put it into a separate story and both of them would still make sense, you're doing it wrong. A gear that doesn't turn other gears isn't part of the system, etc. ...

18. Russano

Russano Disappeared

Master of Death Harry is probably my favorite Harry.

19. PomMan

PomMan High Inquisitor

These are two descriptions of it. Both of these sound more effective than home made torture. Saying "That's it" about this sort of pain... well, I don't really agree with that. The quotes from GoF seem to be saying that the Cruciatus is THE pain spell. Nothing else can even compare.

20. Photon

Photon Order Member

As pain goes - no. But there are worse things. Especially with Imperius, Obliviate, Polyjuice and other types of magic with obvious horrific possibilities.

Example from Resistance by Lorien829 (Polyjuice)
    In case of memory charms it gets even further - for example Hermione's parents (assuming that Hermione restored their memories) have no way to check whatever she restored true version or modified for some reason.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
Not open for further replies.