1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.7

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jan 31, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

I still find Albus Severus abhorrent. who the hell wants to remember Snape of all people? :confused:

I can just see Ginny complaining that Al refuses to wash his hair and it is all Harry's fault. :facepalm

My suspicious side says Albus Severus was born out of adultery and this was Harry's way of sticking to Ginny. ;)

2. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

Might have something to do with who the minister was at the time :)

3. Nocturnesthesia

Nocturnesthesia Fourth Year

The fucking epilogue wasn't canon. Let's just agree it was a fever dream of Harry's after severe emotional upheaval, too many healing potions and a bad burrito, ok? :facepalm

Most next gen fics that feature these fever dream characters immediately send up a red flag anyway. Part of it is that I just plain don't have any reason to give a fuck about Lily Luna, Victoire Weasley or Terry the Chocolate Orange Fred Jr. but we also know and love characters who already have those names, so it's disorienting and they come off as cheap copies of the originals. That's not to say good ones aren't out there (Backwards with Purpose and the sequel are the only ones I can think of) but most next-gen fics automatically piss me off by using these characters.

4. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Hufflepuff! Harry. I just can't. A Harry in that house can never become a hero no matter how round Sprout's bosom's are.

5. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

Not that a Hufflepuff!Harry can't be done, but I've yet to see anyone successfully pull it off and have cringed at every story that features Harry in Hufflepuff. Gary-Stew alert screams loud with this one.

6. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Here you go.

7. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

I swear that the last dozen fics I've read (or tried to) have had multiple uses of 'that's so Slytherin of you' and mountains of variants. A Hogwarts house as an adjective really, really needs to stop.

Please.

Edit: It's prevalent in all of the latest Harry/Daphne fics. Without a doubt I'm seeing it in more of these fics than any other pairings I've read in the last couple months.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  8. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

Thanks! Best Hufflepuff!Harry ever.

9. theronin

theronin Order Member

http://xkcd.com/859/ - relevant link. I couldn't agree more.

10. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

11. Rache

Rache Headmaster

BajaB's stuff is gold alright. But the story was primarily written as a crack with humor being the focal point.

Good!Voldemort stories. Yeah. Go ahead and justify an insane mass murderer who doesn't even have the slightest remorse of killing babies. The same can be said of Evil!Dumbledore series. Canon Dumbledore deserves to bashed to the maximum, but him being evil is too far fetched.

Dark magic is called such and classified dark and dangerous for a reason. Dark Wizards are certainly not some misunderstood portion of the society.

12. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

:colbert:

Well, as good a segue as any to one of my (and I'd guess many other peoples') bigger pet peeves: Dumbledore bashing.

13. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Every Dumbledore bash fest make him look like an idiot. Harry Potter cannot even come anywhere near Dumbledore's magical skill in his teen years and Dumbledore is beyond awesome. If only he did something regarding Harry's scar instead of sending him off to die.

14. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

I imagine older Harry like Moody(paranoia and all the jazz). One step above his peers but still one step behind the Dumbledore.

Older Hermione would be like Mcgonagall, knows her stuff but still no Dumbledore.

15. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

Characters repeatedly acting stupid by doing the same thing over and over again, even though they know that it didn't work the first time, wouldn't work the second time, nor would it work the third time, fourth time, fifth time, and so on.

Offender: Delenda Est and Harry's stupidity about getting himself a proper wand. On the beginning of chpt 12 and am seriously getting fed up.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  16. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

Ah, a kindred soul. Had the same problem with it, not going to spoil anything but personally I thought the midpart of the story best, the early ones have lots of problems like that and the latter just don't interest me as much.

17. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Harry getting any other wand other than the 11' Holly and Phoenix feather. Harry's probably is THE best wand in possession of Ollivander seeing it takes ages to fit Harry.

Wands made of Yew and Dementor droppings don't exist. If they did, Voldemort would definitely go for a superior wand to his.

18. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Come again?

19. Thyestean

Thyestean Slug Club Member

Don't worry I am baffled too.

First point, I would agree it is the best wand, but only because it is simply the brother wand of Voldemort. God knows he would get destroyed without the brother wand effect.

Voldemort did go after a better wand. It is called the Elder Wand.

20. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Harry's got an 11 foot holly and Phoenix feather wand? Holy fucking shit!

Not open for further replies.