1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.7

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jan 31, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

It is not a crack fic.

I still enjoyed it. Then again, I once had An Aunt's Love on my favorite fanfiction list. Once.

2. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

[Unnecessary overacting] Nnoooooo! They blew it! They blew it all to hell! [/Unnecessary overacting]

On a more serious note, my curiosity is too strong to resist, link?

3. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Now that's just lazy... it's on the previous page.

Alternatively, just googling An Aunts Love fanfiction will give you the other one.

4. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Fem!Harry. Seriously people, whats the point in turning Harry into a girl when she has the same friends, thinks the same way, is treated the same way and finally marries a Weasley and need I go on...

No offence to you of course @Taure. My rant was against the 'Harri' Potter authors.

5. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

"Non-magic AU"

aka

"I named the characters in my story after the characters from Harry Potter in the hopes that it would make people want to read it"

6. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Exactly Saot. SPOT ON.

/me pulls my hair whenever I arrive at a Non-Magic AU.

/me also rolls his eyes when a 'basilisk armor' concept comes up.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  7. Immet

Immet Seventh Year

Basilisk armour is really dumb. Especially form fitting armour that fits under other clothing. That said, basilisk robes are probably only slightly more constricting than normal robes, and I'd be fine with a basilisk skin robe.

I'd also be fine with basilisk armour if it was made from dozens of small basilisks writhing around on their body.

8. Rache

Rache Headmaster

What's up with powerful wizards throwing around school yard spells like a disarming charm of a stunner at each other. Also, they don't need to shout spells. There is this thing called silent casting.

Stories which came out after OOTP really have no excuse since we saw what Dumbledore and Voldemort could do with their wand.

9. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

I'll add to this with the usual cliche of long ass speeches that are nothing but gloating, which is the accustom precursor to one of these horrible duels. :facepalm

10. Henry Persico

Henry Persico Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Well... To be fair, Dragon Ball, Captain Tsubasa and Saint Seiya always were a bad influence in that regard.

11. Immet

Immet Seventh Year

I always get irritated at people inferring from the prophecy that Harry is as powerful as Voldemort. Harry gets 'marked' as his equal, but that does not make Harry equal to Voldemort. It also doesn't link them in magical power so they are always exactly the same power level.

12. Rache

Rache Headmaster

There is nothing called 'magical power'. There is only magical skill, talent and those too weak to seek it.

13. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

Almost every time Harry manages to befriend the goblins in Gringotts I cringe. May your gold always flow -__-

14. Rache

Rache Headmaster

And how can we forget 'Griphook'!!

15. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

And it's almost always him, like some of these authors are afraid of having Harry meet a goblin other than Griphook. And when he does meet others Griphook is always there to remind them how generous and honorable the twelve year old Harry has been to the goblin nation.

16. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

[IMGUR]oiMHory[/IMGUR]

There you go; you- you earned it.

17. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

Why... why does that exist and why couldn't I avoid knowing it exists by staying out of the wtf thread.

18. Rache

Rache Headmaster

I was into the whole 'super Harry' themes when I first entered the fandom. But slowly, the ridiculousness of the whole theme made me think. Dumbledore is 100+ and Voldemort is 65+ and Harry is like 16 or 17 when the whole super-Harry action reaches the peak.

And Harry isn't even a fraction of the wizard Dumbledore and Voldemort were in canon. Then, I read Santi's BWL story and the magic system made a lot of sense. Harry can only come close to Dumbledore or Voldemort's level if he learnt and practiced magic whatever form it might be for like 30-40 years since Riddle was like 34 when he could challenge Dumbledore in a duel and Harry is no Riddle.

19. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

To be honest you shouldn't need much skill to duel with HP rules. You really need only about five spells, and that's enough for almost any situation you can imagine: stupefy for non-lethal take down, AK for killing, protego for shielding, perhaps fiendfyre for mass destruction and some sort of animation spell for sneak attacks from behind. All of these are spells that can be and were canonically taught to teenagers.

All the rest is just application and killing instinct. Real skill with magic is needed when you want to create something, not for dueling. And it's a real pity that almost all stories focus on the fighting side of magic and totally ignore all the rest.

But of course epic duels are epic (even though proper epic duels are damn hard to find), and plot should come before boring logic.

20. Rache

Rache Headmaster

You really are reading too many fanfics where the dueling aspect is mediocre at best and the same concepts appear again and again in duels. A stunner is too easy to counter while there is canonical proof of the existence of shields far more powerful than a standard school yard 'protego'.

You need to learn transfiguration and charms to animate or conjure objects strong enough to block the 'Unforgiveables' and a wide variety of curses to keep the other duelist on their toes.

If you just used the 5 spells you mentioned, the duel would be dreadfully boring to watch or even to participate in. Keep in mind that only dark wizards use the AK in duels.

Be honest. The DADA curriculum of Hogwarts sucks big time. All the students are taught are simple jinxes with the most harmful spell being a 'confrigo'.

Not open for further replies.