1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.8

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Oct 20, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I read a fic once which had a Gringotts vault near the center of the Earth. :facepalm

2. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

Well, the Gringotts entrance doesn't necessarily have to be the first entrance. They could have added more in front.

3. Immet

Immet Seventh Year

What really happens is that the goblins dig away under the bottom layer and let everything fall down, then build a new layer in the gap created just under the surface.

Or, they're magically making the world expand around Gringotts, making ground appear between Gringotts and the surface which they make vaults in.

4. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

Why? I mean if you are going that far might as well build on in the exact centre of the Earth or the centre of the Moon that works too.

5. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Maybe they have a way of cooling it all down so they aren't suffocated by the heat of the inner earth. Isn't it something ridiculous...like hotter than anywhere on the surface after some small amount of miles deep (far less than you'd think, and only a fraction of the whole way down).

6. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Depends where in the earth, but I had a friend who worked in a mine in south africa and its deepest shaft was over 3 miles and it was tipping 70C.

7. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Only Jules Verne can do something like that.

8. Alexx

Alexx Card Captored and buttsecksed

Ron being Head Boy in most of the fics. Out of all the students at Hogwarts Ron Wealsey is somehow the best candidate to be a Head Boy.

9. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Why wouldn't he be?

He has the magical aptitude, he has the real life experience in a society at war to protect others, and he's probably the best choice out of Gryffindor. Neville's just starting to grow up, and Seamus and Dean look to be just your typical 17 year olds. Slytherin is pretty much out, the way Harry's year is written in canon. That leaves Ernie Macmillan, who seems a little full of himself, and a few Ravenclaws that, again, have no real-life experience. And no, making Harry a head-boy is dumb as hell, IMO. If the war's still going, it's the last thing he needs. If it's over, well, it's the last thing he needs.

I don't really see a problem with it.

EDIT: If they're drawn from prefects, there's only three others to chose from. Two if you discount Malfoy: Macmillan or Goldstein or Ron.

Not much of a difference there, IMO.

--and I realized I was confused canon Macmillan with a fanfic Macmillan, but still, that's not a stretch at all to see Ron above those two

Unless you're into Ron-bashing.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  10. Alexx

Any fic that refers to Draco Malfoy as the Prince of Slytherin.

11. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    EC, I agree with everything you said, and I like Ron-as-prefect since I really really love Ron in general, but I think you skipped a mental beat there. We know Head Boy isn't just from Prefects because James Potter was Head Boy in his year.

Alexx, while it's a shitty phrase, I don't really hate it that much other than the cliche-ness of it all because he really does have the most ... popularity (clout?) out of the Slytherins... at least from Harry's viewpoint, and it's probably true.

I really like the systems in place in Hogwarts so a peeve with fics AND canon is the lack of any mention of prefects who aren't in Harry's year or Percy about 99% of the time, and also the fact that the House Cup is barely ever a factor in canon post year 3, and that most fics gloss over it.

I get that it's not very plot important, but it's part of life at Hogwarts and I really like when stuff is immersive (sp?) and actually talks about all aspects of school life there.

12. Alexx

I fucking resent that shit. The only one who has the legitimate right to that title is Tom Marvolo Riddle not Draco fucking Malfoy, who is an insult to most Slytherins.

Whenever I visit fanfiction.net it seems there are always loads of fics of centered around Snape, Malfoy, Hermione than around Harry. Are they more popular than Harry or something?

13. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Technically, Snape was a 'Prince' in Slytherin.

14. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Yes, Alexx. Hermione is generally the character girls identify themselves with. Malfoy tends to be the insert for whatever bad boy they're hot for. Or Snape, I guess, if they're hot for their teacher.

There are variants on these, but it pretty much summarizes a lot of Harry Potter fanfiction.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  15. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Everyone loves a redemption.

16. Alexx

How do Harry and Ron react to Hermione/Malfoy or Hermione/Snape in these fics?

17. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Probably not very well. It'd reinforce the whole love against all odds shit. Then again, I really don't read any fics featuring Snape or Malfoy, so I'm probably not the guy to ask. I hear Oz loves slash and fics with both Snape and Malfoy. Ask him. :D

18. Punt

Punt DA Member

They would probably have a chapter where Ron/Harry are shouting at Hermione that Snape/Malfoy are 'evil Slitherinz" when Snape/Draco suddenly sweeps in and wtfpwns them with his superior 'Slytherin Cunning'.

19. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

:facepalm, enough said.

20. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    True, and I thought about that when I posted it (or at least the general idea, forgot about James being Headboy). But I think that it'd only be in extreme cases that something like that would happen, since the headboy is over the other prefects.

In James's case, I think it probably had something to do with the war, his saving Snape from Black's trick, etc.

But yeah, it doesn't have to be.

---------- Post automerged at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

Long running Pet-Peeve in a new way: Ron bashing.

I've said it now and then around here, but what's really starting to get on my nerves is the way Harry and Hermione treat Ron in Ron-bashing fics. Ninety-nine percent of the time, the author makes one or both of them worse than Ron ever was in canon, turning their back on him and/or never forgiving him for being upset that he thought Harry was lying to him.

What's worse, someone being mad when they think they're lied to (after being told how they'd put their name in the Goblet the night before it was drawn), or severing a relationship the first time someone didn't believe you?

Yeah, way to paint your protagonist in a positive light.

Not open for further replies.