1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.8

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Oct 20, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Warburg

Warburg Seventh Year

Heh.(I have no life)

2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @Warburg: I spent a minute staring at your avatar thinking "that's a strange fucking picture of a Big Daddy" before I realized it was a space marine.

3. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Let me rephrase - the first phonetic language. Phonetic languages in the written form tend to lengthen over time, while the pronunciation in the same language tends to smooth out and shorten. An example is the changing possessive - Russ' is now Russ's because it's how it sounds.

Of course, with the expansion of literacy in the last couple of hundred years, all of that could be out the window.

------

Loved your description of English, by the way. Dead on, I think.

4. Warburg

Warburg Seventh Year

Comparing that mutant with one of the Emperor's chosen is nothing short of heresy. The Adeptus Astartes are without equal!

5. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

You know what I'm really sick of? A character, generally female though often Harry, being extremely insecure all the time and wondering if X person(s) will still accept him after they know about Y.

Or any variation there of. It's even worse when it's romance related.

6. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

And yet a lack of insecurity is clearly cause for labeling the character a -Sue of some sort.

All peeves are valid; I'm just noting one of mine.

7. Ghosthree3

Ah true. But I don't mean a little insecurity. I mean the type of insecurity that writes itself 4 whole chapters. And even after being reassured the character remains as insecure as ever.

8. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I don't think I've ever met anyone who was insecure about something, then had just one person that it was okay and suddenly everything was better. Gosh good thing it's so easy to cure dogs of their attachment disorders, and abused children will now be able to accept the affection and care of their new guardians.

9. Ghosthree3

Regardless of how realistic it may be. It's torture to read about for 5-10k words.

10. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    That's why I never write about that crap.

11. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's usually why I hate angst/abused!Harry fics. The author usually goes on for a dozen chapters with Harry bemoaning how no one will want to be his friend when they find out x y and z.

It's horribly tedious.

12. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's just not a subject that's fun to read about. It's lose/ lose. You either write it well and it's uncomfortable to read, or you do it poorly and it's obnoxious.

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Or you just write everyone as repressed as fuck, carrying that shit in silence for their entire lives. Like real life.

14. Ghosthree3

I don't think I've seen much of that. I support it, do it.

15. someone010101

someone010101 High Inquisitor

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. To be fair, I don't think many writers could pull that of well.
    Like a theater, the characters have to be exaggerated or the reader won't get what's going on. And repressed silence is pretty darn hard to show.

16. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Snape suddenly becoming really nice because Harry was sorted into Slytherin. I just can't imagine it so when I read fic like that I cringe. At the very best I think Snape might just be indifferent to Harry is he was a Slytherin, but more likely is he'll still hate Harry. I can't see him hating Harry public ally though, can't make his house look bad after all.

17. Ghosthree3

Yeah I can agree with you there. He'd definitely be less hateful, maybe even reserve judgement. But he wouldn't randomly show favouritism or anything.

18. Reptile3607

Reptile3607 Third Year

Sigh.
    Why does everyone hate Ron? I mean... I am so utterly sick of everyone constantly bashing the poor fella. I think the only really well written Ron I've read about was in Renegade Cause.
    I'm so bored of it.
    Another relatively new peeve (for me)- This scene:
    Harry smiled at the goblin.
    "I remember you!," he exclaimed, "You're Griphook, the goblin that first served me!"
    Griphook looked up at the young wizard in front of him, and torrents of tears began pouring out of his eyes. The wizened goblin immediately fell to his knees.
    "Most honourable sir Harry Potter remembers my name?" Griphook sobbed, "That is the greatest complement a wizard can give!"
    Harry grinned, and his aura alone made every female goblin within 100 metres immediately orgasm.

LATER...

Ragnok looked down at the parchment...
    "It looks like you are the heir to the houses of:
    Gryffindor, Slytherin, Ravenclaw, (but not Hufflepuff- why never Hufflepuff?) Merlin, Morgana, Black, Flamel, Aizông, and The Secret Order of Magical Ninjas. You also own half the ministry, most of the shops in Diagon Alley, and are the rightful owner of Hogwarts. In addition, you have over 12 billion galleons, and 47 different manors."
    Harry fainted

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  19. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Ever read Mirror Mirror? It's got a decent Ron too. Sadly, it's abandoned.

20. Stan

Stan Order Member

Forging the sword, Backwards with a Purpose and Prince of the Dark Kingdom have great characterizations of Ron as well.

Will he really? At best, I believe it would only make him hate Harry more, but the Slytherin unity thing would prevent him from outright mistreating Harry in public. Then again, he can always take fuckloads of points from Harry while compensating by giving away free points to the other Slytherins, which would make Harry public enemy no. 1 in Slytherin for costing them points. This happened in the Grey Maiden series as well as in Lily and the Art of Being Sisyphus.

Either way, Snape cannot not hate Harry, as that is pretty much the crux of his character in canon. The only non-antagonistic Snape-Harry relationship done well was in Prince of the Dark Kingdom and even there Snape almost killed Harry twice, one of them being a blatant murder attempt.

Not open for further replies.