1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.8

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Oct 20, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Other fandoms...

2. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Wouldn't that rather belong in the "Other Fandoms" subsection?

3. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    What are you daring to suggest?

4. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sigh, never mind.

As an aside, browsing using tapatalk isn't really conducive to seeing subsections.

5. Reptile3607

Reptile3607 Third Year

The incredible inconvenience of robes and quills.
    After all, it's not like they could possibly use something like- I don't know- magic to make them easier to use. That would be silly.

USE YOUR FUCKING MINDS, PEOPLE!!!

6. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I don't think this belongs here.

7. blizzarrrd

blizzarrrd Fourth Year

I think the pet peeve was about fanfic authors who say wizards are stupid for wearing robes and using quills when muggle clothes and ball pens are so much more convenient to use. They directly compare the wizarding world to the muggle one without taking into account that a magic quill might be much better than a muggle ball pen. They don't give magic enough credit which is annoying and makes the whole thing a pet peeve. Or at least that's how I understood the post.

8. Warburg

Warburg Seventh Year

Well objectively speaking, it's much harder to write with a quill than a pen. The only reasons I can image why quills are used would be tradition and possibly calligraphy. It's of course different if you have an enchanted quill but as far as I'm aware, most Hogwarts students don't use those.(except Roonil Wazlib) At exams they even go as far as to provide students with "anti-cheating" quills, so we can assume that it's frowned upon to use most forms of enchanted quills to your regular homework as well.

9. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I expect some people use fountain pens at Hogwarts. I doubt the teachers can tell the difference. You're fucked, though, once you get into your exam and are forced to use a quill only to mess your exam up.

10. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

I've always assumed that by the virtue of using the same tool over and over there are hundreds of little adjustments to the spell-work of the quills, same as with quidditch brooms.

It would be cheating to use an illegally charmed broom, same as there could have been a potential curse on the Firebolt to wound or kill Harry, no one tries to remove the magic from the brooms before the game.

I suspect the anti-cheating quills simply have more enchantments on them.

Also, if I had a self-inking quill, I'd never come back to pens. Quills are pleasant to hold, you can scratch your nose pleasantly, and they are perfect to hold behind your ear...

Anyway.

11. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    So, in your world, Quills have an Anti-Write-On-Yourself Charm for scratching purposes?

Plausible, but I think that'd be an extra few Sickles, no?

12. esran

esran Professor

Sickles? When its a charm someone can probably put on in a few seconds with a wave of a wand? The whole quill probably costs a few sickles. These don't seem to be complex charms.

13. gorgonfish

gorgonfish Second Year

How many people will actually take the time and effort to learn a simple quill charm though? Why not just buy the quill already charmed and use your time to learn something else?

14. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    Seriously? You've never heard of proprietary goods? I'd almost guarantee that Quills would quickly be hit with proprietary spells by the makers disallowing any other spells on them, otherwise, they'd go out of business rather fast.

Not sure if canon contradicts that, but it is most definitely the reality of business.

15. Warburg

Warburg Seventh Year

Do you honestly believe that the wizard that invented some new unique spell that makes it possible for a broom to go 10% faster or a quill to auto-correct would just share it with the world? Two words; trade secrets. The economy would collapse without them. All your hard work at spell-creation would essentially be for naught if the spell got out to the public.

16. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hardly anyone would become spell crafters if they couldn't make money off it.

17. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Well I'm sure there's a quill equivalent for Shooting Star.
    "Oh, this old feather? It was my grandfathers. Qurky spellwork, but works like a charm for what I need."

As for anti-writing on yourself there's always cleaning up with magic if quill enchantment fails.

18. esran

esran Professor

You all misunderstood. I don't mean the BUYER can cast the spell, obviously he can't. My point is, the seller is likely selling thousands of them, and each one probably takes only a few minutes to make. Why would the cost be overinflated? a few sickles for a quill with auto inking, and no accidental writing, almost sounds overpriced.

19. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:

Once again, you miss the keyword: business, and I'm sure it'd be a few Sickles. After all, if a knut is about the same as US ¢ .02, and a Sickle about US ¢ .34, then it's more than possible to charge an extra two or three Sickles. (based on the much abused "About five Great British Pounds...." quote from Rowling).

20. esran

esran Professor

I was thinking of sickles as being worth a few dollars. I don't get the impression form canon that they are basically quarters.

Not open for further replies.