1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Pick A Card by Glazt - T - Worm

Discussion in 'Worm' started by TheWiseTomato, Nov 23, 2018.

1. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: Pick A Card
    Author: Glazt
    Rating: T
    Genre: General
    Fandom: Worm
    Pairings: Taylor/Arclance
    Summary: Pick a card, any card...and hope that the dastardly Discard has no designs on your valuables. Or the vault door protecting them. Summary improvised by TWT. Altpower Taylor, with the ability to seal objects into cards. She's a villain who went to the same school of capeing as Mouse Protector.
    Link: SB reader mode

So this is probably one of the best fics currently updating in Worm atm. No grim, grinding grimdark to be seen. Taylor is written well, with a different trigger and complications surrounding it that are slowly being revealed as the story goes. Her interactions with the heroes, the Wards especially, are great. Her interactions with the Undersiders neatly avoid retreading the same ground almost every other fucking fic seems determined to cover. The 'combat' is enjoyable, the drawbacks to her power are interesting, and the subtle mystery of her trigger is compelling. The writing itself is well done, flows smoothly, and character voices are nailed. I give it a 4/5, with the potential to go up to 5/5 when more is revealed.

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

There is 11 votes on this thread and not a single review. Can we fix that please? Out of the 11 of you, I'm sure some of you have read it. I haven't yet. I'm going to go through and read it and review later, but please. If you're going to vote, can you take the time to tell everyone why you enjoyed it. Defeats the purpose of having a library if there is no commentary on the subject matter it contains.

3. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

I enjoy it as a non-serious romp through Worm in the vein of old stories like THE TECHNO QUEEN! or Silencio. There's really not much to say that hasn't already been covered.

Though apparently the grimdark is coming in the next arc.

4. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I liked it, but it's gotten a bit cheesy and lately it's gone down a bit because
    of the gamer-like antics TINO is getting into with Alec.

I'd give it a 3.5/5 right now but I'll do a quick reread and review more later.

5. Donimo

Donimo Auror

I really enjoyed this when it started. The Taylor-in-name-only of it wasn't an issue since it was literally shard induced kleptomania, which is a reasonable enough explanation for me. It dropped off after awhile though, it's been too long since I read it to be very specific, but I remember a lot of things didn't make sense. The wards always happened to be at work in costume simultaneously and in the middle of the night. Just things of that nature that shows the author doesn't give much thought to what the fuck is going on. I was okay reading it still though since it was a very amusing crack-ish story.

I was actually quite pleased when the Undersiders were introduced and Taylor dismissed them, or maybe even attacked them. It's rare enough that the Woodiesiders don't show up to be something worth remarking on. Then that was reversed in the next chapter so I dropped the fic and moved on.

6. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Didn't realize there's a thread for this. Might be my favorite worm fic at the moment (though that's not saying that much). It's very entertaining, very whimsical. It's just so different than the typical escalating antivillain altpower nonsense that plagues the fandom, without actually being a crackfic.

I actually thought this story was abandoned, since when I read it (2 weeks ago) it hadn't been updated in months, but I was pleased when I saw that it quickly started updating again shortly after. So with that said, there still really isn't that much to go on. The first two arcs are better than the most recent arc, but I wouldn't call the most recent arc bad. I'm just not really a fan of the apparent Squealer!redemption since it was kind of appeared out of nowhere, and I'm still on the fence about the attempts to game her power, though I guess that's to be expected with what her power is.

Anyways, 4/5 for me right now, with my leaning closer to a 5/5 once more chapters are laid down to define what kind of story this is actually going to be.

7. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

I didn't really get the appeal of the story. It's not a serious story, that I understand, but the author seems hesitant to cross the into full on parody and keeps this (painfully thin) veneer that it's somehow not crack when it is, if that makes sense. Never really struck me as particularly humorous.