1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny Threa(d/t) V

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Goten Askil

Goten Askil Groundskeeper

A few things that don't add up to me:
    - Why the "trust issues" between Lily and Dumbledore? What did he do to make her wary of him? That sounds like most all-knowing letters from the past left in Lord Harry James Potter-Black-Peverell-Gryffindor's family vault.
    - Why would the war be "slowly brewing" for ten years? Voldemort was at the height of his power at Halloween 81, so why should he wait so long if he doesn't lose his body? Plus many followers would still be around (the Lestranges, Crouch and Rookwood are the first to come to mind, Wormtail too could still be of use).
    - As BTT said, why not telling Dumbledore? Snape could serve as an intermediary if she is afraid of talking directly to Dumbledore and thus "betraying" Voldemort.
    - The simple idea of Lily/Snape makes me puke, but I suppose it can work off-screen. Although, please, if you write that, don't give Harry any half-siblings. I'm a sucker for BigBrother!Harry stories, but that would be too much even for me.

Overall, I like the idea of Lily being ready to anything to save her son, even sacrificing her estranged sister. And Sirius acting against her can be quite interesting too. Who would Harry choose after his mother disappearance?

2. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Nope

N O P E

N O P E

N O P E

N O P E

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  3. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

No, no, no... Baltus Van Tassel of Sleepy Hollow, surely? :) Hell, Vernon Dursley would be there, too.

Hehehe. I once wrote a total crackfic that was nominally set in Secret Garden. Purely for my own benefit and amusement, since there were lots of jokes based on the dramatic and sometimes barely discernible pronunciations used in the musical's songs, and so many obscure references in it that I was probably the only one that would understand it... or find it the least bit funny.

Mary Lennox was the only normal character, so the story was basically about how she had to deal with all of these people who are acting like lunatics.

The rest of the people were amalgamations of the actual Secret Garden characters, their counterparts from the broadway musical, and the other roles the actors played...

Dr. Craven was just plain nuts. He almost immediately refers to Mary as Annie Lennox, then tells her she has to get the Eurythmics back together, before he starts muttering about Lily's legs, instead of her eyes (which was actually a Blazing Saddles reference).

Mrs. Medlock seems normal enough, until she tells Mary that she's the youngest seeker in a century and that there will be no magic in the hallways. She says 'colloportus' every time she locks a door with her keys, tells Mary not to let the Dark Lord find out where she is, and when she mentions Hogwarts, Mary fears they're some communicable disease.
    "That's Martha's brother, Dickon."

"That pervert is that other pervert's brother? Well, that explains a few things," Mary muttered under her breath. "What's he doing? It looks like he's waving something about at those animals that were following him."

"He's conjurin' with that stick of 'is."

"Oh, you mean like Mrs. Medlock?"

The old gardener screwed his mouth up and squinted at Mary for a moment, one eyebrow raised, before answering, "Mebbe..." and stomped off muttering about witchcraft, pitchforks, and torches.

And Tonks, and Argus Filch... Shit, Filch will think he's traded up and then some! Tonks will just long for the days when the only half giant she knew could say more than his own name.

That 'stache would look super weird with no nose above it.

4. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

I've seen many fics where Harry dies/disappears/whatever, and Voldemort simply stomps everyone and rules Britain for many years. This idea that Harry is the only one that could stop Voldemort really bothers me, so I came up with a new bunny.

Voldemort and his Death Eaters attack the Potters, and while James and Lily are busy fighting the Death Eaters, Voldemort kills Harry. Then he goes and kills Neville. James and Lily manage to escape, and vow revenge upon Voldemort. In this story, they will become ruthless, actually killing and torturing Death Eaters left and right. James will be the protagonist, but POVs may be switched to all the Marauders, including Pettigrew in the Death Eaters' ranks.
    Another POD will be that Regulus didn't die. Kreacher managed to transport him away from the cave, and Snape heals him. He goes to Dumbledore and tells him about the Horcrux, and the Horcrux hunt begins. Regulus and Snape will both become spies for the Order.
    Voldemort is on his way to control the Ministry, the Order is desperate, and the story will become rather gritty showing the Marauders fighting Voldemort.

What do you think?

5. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    $10 says both have been done before.

6. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Lily doesn't tell Dumbledore because Voldemort swore to kill her and her son if she revealed her actions, his intentions or simply goes to the Headmaster for help. I fail to see how it has to do with letters.

Did I say slowly brewing? I meant, resistance is slowly deteriorating. Dumbledore, Hogwarts and the steadily declining power of the Ministry is all that's stopping him and it won't be much longer before he completely decimates the latter. (Kind of wanted this aspect of Hogwarts being so well-defended that even the Ministry falls before Voldemort gets into Hogwarts)

No half-siblings. In fact, Snape/Lily aren't even romantic, other than this lingering backstory with James now out of the picture and Snape still in love with her. He comes to see her, mindful of the fact that she inadvertently killed off her husband. Doesn't exactly sound like sound reasoning for a boyfriend. The romance is a long, drawn out thing where Lily knows Snape is in love, feels some manner of affection dating back to the past, but has too much trouble dealing with James' death and Harry's outright dislike for Snape.

I imagined it as per canon: when Snape dies, Harry understands the depth of his love for Lily and how much he lost trying to take down Voldemort and grudgingly respects him for it. Only difference is that Lily would realize she does love Snape, but its too late to do much more than watch him writhe around in his own blood. (Your welcome, DLP)

As for 'who does Harry choose', there's just the Weasleys, Dumbledore and Sirius. Take your pick (see: Sirius)

7. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Could be, my knowledge of fanfiction isn't very extensive, but I'm fairly sure I never encountered that plot. If you do know fics like that, do link.

8. Tarnished Blade

Tarnished Blade Professor

Came up with the following after reading the thread."Which magical school would you attend?"

Instead of consisting of the big three euro schools (Hogwarts, Beauxbatons & Durmstrang) the ICW negotiates that the Tri-Wizard-Tournament will allow potential participation from all schools in ICW member nations.

The Goblet of Fire picks the best candidate from each school and then picks the the top 3 schools/champions to compete in the tournament.

Considering that the current seventh years had Lockhart for their DADA OWLs (and had a singular year of competent instruction under Lupin), and spent the last six years being sabatoged (light-sided purebloods/halfbloods) or coddled (slytherin/pureblood-bigot), though abet well taught, by Prof. Snape . . .

Hogwarts gets major egg on its face for being the first school to host the TWT without having a legitimate Champion.

I exclude mudbloods because they simply were not worth Snape's time to target, the wizarding world would do it for him. In a world where Granger didn't run off with Harry to get famous and recruited by Shacklebolt, she would have been a 3rd-rate citizen who's job interviews would probably consist of a wizard dropping his drawers and telling her to show him why she should get the job. (If her authority worshiping stupidity didn't get her killed by Voldemort's ministry)

Don't know if I would keep Beauxbatons & Durmstrang in the picture. I'd be more prone to keeping keeping the Frenchies, including including muggleborn students would give the a larger student body/better chances. That and my big-brother-mindset goes into fits about Krum. (Then again maybe that's a good reason to keep him involved, no reason to limit us to a single villain).

[EDIT] Bonus points if the day school that Hermione's parents actually wanted her to go to (so they could at least have her for the weekends) produces a champion.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  9. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

Giving Harry the dark mark won't make him his equal but rather his subordinate. Just a thought.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  10. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

I had an idea similar to the TLiL version of the TWT. Each school competes in 3 different fields. First is the general tasks that Harry does in canon. Each school also has their two best duelers compete in a dueling contest, and each school has a Quidditch team playing against the others. Seems much more entertaining, and more reflecting on the schools' levels, than the canon version...

11. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Ron drops dead in Slughorn's office after being poisoned because they aren't any bezoars around and Slughorn is too slow to do anything.

The Weasleys are bereft, but more than that, they are angry. They gave Dumbledore the benefit of the doubt after the Chamber because Harry brought back Ginny safe, but the death of Ron hits them hard, and Molly is unwilling to compromise. Even Arthur, the more logical of the two, decides to quit the war effort altogether before he loses more or all of his children. Bill, Fred and George want to help even more so. Percy comes back to his family a year earlier. Ginny is smothered in kisses, hugs and by her mother, who is unwilling to let the vivacious and quarrelsome girl out of her sight. Fleur is left waiting in the wings as Bill goes off on missions for the Order (and is not pleased about this). She ends up venting to Ginny of all people and the redhead realizes she's actually got something in common with Phlegm.

As for Harry, he's emotionally torn but too busy worrying about everyone else's problems to face his own. After all, Harry is aggrieved, sure, but he's used to loss. More than that, he's angry at his best friend's 'mysterious' killer (he's increasingly certain its Draco, but with no proof, an outright attack would land him in Azkaban) and furious with Slughorn (and himself) for being unable to save Ron. He's also trying to save Hermione who is somewhat broken by the loss of her first love and blames herself; she wishes she would have done more to stop the 'love potions' from reaching Harry, and subsequently Ron, which caused them to seek out Slughorn to start with. It's not until the fervor from Ron's death dies (pun) down a bit, after a quiet, emotional funeral near the Burrow, that Harry realizes there's another girl who cared about Ron Weasley: Lavender Brown.

After noticing her absence at dinner for a few nights, Harry catches her crying atop the Astronomy tower when he goes up there to get a bit of air himself. Feeling sorry for the girl, he makes an effort to deal with her watery tantrums, though he can't do much more than hug her warmly and whisper consoling words. She eventually comes to the determination that, though Ron was cute and funny, she would have never ultimately ended up with him (partly because he cared more about Hermione).

Lavender has been changed as much as anyone by Ron's untimely death. All at once, she becomes reclusive (to Parvati's great concern and fru, quiet and determined to learn more in case something similar ever happens to her. She turns to Harry for help as they are only a year removed from the DA, and he grudgingly offers to help the admittedly pretty girl improve. He finds that she really isn't all that annoying now that she's spending less time around gossipping girls and doesn't have the irritating affixation on dolling herself up (for no reason, in Harry's opinion).

She actually becomes friends with Hermione, after apologizing for virtually ruining her chance with Ron. Hermione takes some convincing (she thinks Lavender is such a slag she is trying to hook up with Harry right after Ron's death), but with Harry's urging and Lavender really acting differently (answering questions in class, working with Harry for the purpose of learning) she comes around.

Dean and Ginny are having problems, but not as badly as in canon (Dean is unwilling to really fight with her because she just lost her brother. Ginny doesn't have the energy, so she's just distant) therefore their relationship survives for the time being. Dean even seeks Harry for advice on ways to cheer Ginny up, to which Harry honestly tries to help but can't think of a worthwhile solution.

Hagrid doesn't send a letter to Harry about Aragog's death, thinking that it would be too much for him to experience another funeral so soon. Therefore, Harry must think of another way to get the memory from Slughorn.

(Harry/Lavender/Hermione during DH)

12. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

What's the point of this, though? just fluff? it doesn't sound very interesting... unless it makes Lavender lose her mind and become some sort of insane "Black Widow" who seeks revenge and has no qualms about blowing Death Eaters to bits. Dark Lady Brown.

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    AU set in the 1960s. They should have known better than to meddle with the power of stars. The Muggles have changed the world forever, for every time they detonate a hydrogen bomb, a magical entity of great power is born. Can the wizards resist the new gods, or will they fall in line as part of the new world order? Voldemort centric.

14. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I cannot stress how awesome this sounds, especially since it is Voldemort centric.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  15. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

Here's a bunny I've had hopping around for a week or so now.

It's a crossover with the tv series Dark Angel.
    If you're not familiar with it, the basic premise is that terrorists detonate a nuclear device in the sky over the United States, knocking out every computer system in the US and overnight turning superpower to third world. It is into this world that genetically engineered child soldiers escape from their secret lab.

The plot bunny.

It wasn't terrorists, it was in fact a final resort developed by wizards to preserve the statute of secrecy in the face of the information age. A sort of obliviate for computers, if you will. I've kicked around a few reasons as to why it'd be needed, leaning towards an idea where the American ministry is found to be getting a little too close to its muggle counterpart, hoping to improve its influence in the wizarding world to be more on par with the muggle side.

The actual story takes place a few years after Harry graduates, coinciding with the time the tv show is set. Rather than becoming an Auror for the British Ministry, Harry signed up with the recently established ICW organization created to take a more direct and proactive role in maintaining the statute of secrecy, finding and dealing with potential of breaches before they occur on the magnitude of the breach that lead to the Pulse.

Harry, having just graduated from being a trainee, is on his first case and stumbles right into the events of season two. The story then follows Harry as he investigates what turns out to be an ancient cult planning to destroy and/or conquer the world. While also finding out that the governments endangerment of the statute wasn't as completely destroyed as had been assumed.

16. Download

High Score:
    Whose life is instantly snuffed out as all of the ithium-6 deuteride in the bomb is fusioned...

17. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Shame the being wouldn't have some sort of special power that would help it surv-oh, wait.

18. Download

High Score:
    Harry Potter/Gunnerkrigg Court crossover

There is some suggestion canon that the Court was formed in the late 17th or early 18th century from the clothing of British soldiers. If we were to have a Gunnerkrigg/HP world merging that would put it just after the signing of the Statute of Secrecy.

In GKC chapter 23 it is suggested the Court was formed by a group of people and mostly magical creatures fleeing something. Jones suggested a war and 'humanity itself' as the reasons but then goes on to say they don't really know the real reason.

So, I was toying with the idea that they might have been fleeing the Ministry of Magic (or its predecessor).

Think about it, why would many of the more sentient magical creatures wish to follow laws made by humans telling them to stay hidden? That could be the reason why magical creatures were fleeing. Similarly, the humans who made up the Court seem to be greatly integrated with both magical and non-magical side by side mixed in with massive amounts of technomancy. What if the newly formed MoM objected to this gross breach of the SoS?

So, the SoS comes along, a war is fought between the two sides and the people who would later become the Court decided to retreat and create their safe haven in Gilltie Forest. Something about the Forest made it too difficult to attack or possibly the Ministry were satisfied that because they were holed up in a remote forest that they wouldn't be breaking the SoS no longer making the loss of life worth it.

Not sure where to take this; possibly something Voldemort does could drag the Court back into the wider world where they can't sit idly by.

19. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Plot Bunny:

Everything said by Lockhart and the Quibbler is the absolute truth. As such, the magical world is a truly different place.

I call this (in the vain of Gilderoy's books) Questing with Quibbler.

Lockhart first:

- He has expert knowledge in healing.
    - He is a master duelist, better than Snape or Flitwick.
    - He is well versed in a variety of charms.
    - He was easily able to locate the Chamber of Secrets and figured out what's inside.
    - He invented many useful spells.
    - Lockhart is great at potions and can easily make the Mandrake Restorative Draught.
    - He defeated the Bandon Banshee.
    - He dealt with Ghouls.
    - He was able to deal with Hags.
    - Easily defeated many Trolls.
    - He fought with Vampires.
    - He saved a village from Werewolves.
    - The Homorphus Charm can restore a werewolf to his human form.

Basically, Lockhart is the next Dumbledore and the magical equivalent of Indiana Jones and James Bond.

Now the Quibbler:

- The Rotfang Conspiracy works to bring down the Ministry from within using a combination of Dark Magic and gum disease. Aurors are involved in said conspiracy.
    - Stubby Boardman was the secret alter ego of Sirius Black.
    - Cornelius Fudge has plans to take over Gringotts and will not hesitate to use force, he's even had some Goblins already killed.
    - Minister Fudge has at his command an army of Heliopaths: spirits of fire which gallop and burn anything in their way.
    - Rufus Scrimgeour is a Vampire.
    - Tutshill Tornados (a popular quidditch team) was top of the league by a combination of bewitched brooms and torture.
    - Loser's Lurgy is a real disease.
    - Crumple-Horned Snorkacks, Moon Frogs, Blibbering Humdingers, Umgubular Slashkilters, Nargles, Aquavirius Maggots, Wrackspurts, Gulping Plimpies and Dabberblimps are all real creatures.

Basically, the Wizarding World is much more insane and illogical than we were originally led to believe.

20. Download

High Score:
    Were the pies tasty?