1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny Threa(d/t) V

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I mean, it can't be that much worse than dealing with the incarnation of your worst fears and traumas in front of 15 of your peers.

Edit:
    As for the idea itself, I quite like it. IMO, it'd work better if it focused more on trying to teach the kids the why something happened, rather than focusing on rote memorization/screenplays. Basically, recreate the scenario and insert the kids into it from the perspective of their assigned person, and then let them go to town and see how things play out differently, then once it's done, give a lecture on what changed and talk to them about why they made the choices they did. Get the kids thinking about how the people they were RP'ing as thought and what could have led to the different decisions being made.

2. Tempest

Tempest Third Year

High Score:
    That reminds me of reading Remus as the History of Magic professor in a fic. Can't remember which one.

3. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Power He Knows Not is three hundred wheels of cheese rolling down a mountainside. Voldemort never stood a chance.

4. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    “Harry Potter. The Boy Who Lived. Come to di-“

“FUS-RO-DAH!”

5. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Voldemort getting pinged by a x16 arrow from a shadowy corner is still less anti-climactic than the real ending.

6. Stephen McGuinness

Stephen McGuinness Muggle

Plot bunny : Expanding on Avery and Mulciber as characters during the marauder era. Their family, their beliefs and subsequent recruitment into the death eater circle.

I should really start at the beginning of my childhood. At a time when my parents were transfixed on the idea of the dark arts – but I’d rather not do that. What I will say, however, is that they both became crazed researchers intent on developing new spells for contemporary use. Most, in part, brought about by my father’s frenzied idea in late 1916 of disguising himself as a muggle soldier during the height of the war. Subsequently, he had this crazy notion that muggle’s capacity for destruction was unlimited. According to him, they had these mechanical objects which moved without magic, and devices which shot projectiles as fast as spells – demented I know. But, alas, I was not there. This story, rather than that of my father, is about a chance encounter I had in fifth-year, and on how I came to duel with my friend Mulciber – who had progressively become more erratic.

We both started a tradition in fourth year, where we would sit on a bench adjacent to platform 9 ¾. From that vantage point we could see all manner of odd muggles, some looking crestfallen at the prospect of work, others not. Meanwhile, we enjoyed watching the muggle-born parents who had failed to read the pamphlet “So your child is magical”. Some seemed aghast at the prospect of running into a wall (while holding their child’s hand) to get to the platform. Others would mutter something incoherent while waiting for someone to help them out. Last year, we helped one of the muggle-born families onto the platform and received a ton of gratitude from this portly fellow named Mr Evans - not out of kindness, mind you. Mulciber thought it would be funny to terrify the red-haired daughter of Mr Evan’s with stories of the forbidden forests and the sorting hat initiation during a brief conversation on the train. She went wide-eyed.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  7. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Response to the Q3 'What the Professors get up to the in Summer' prompt, since I'll never write it well enough in the few days left to submit and I don't feel like subjecting the readers to another hasty, unfinished project.

Charity Burbage, the Muggle Studies instructor, hears about a roaming Ford Anglia on school grounds. Naturally curious about such a thing, she attempts to track it down(with the aid of Hagrid, who knows the Forbidden Forest and the various creatures that dwell there, and would have mentioned the Ford at breakfast in passing-- something like the centaurs getting irate at the car and the wizards at the castle really ought to handle it after over a year running wild, so this would be post-third year summer break).

The bulk of this would be the hunt. Getting close, only for the car, with a wild temperament and a surprising amount of cunning from adapting to angry acromantula, pissy centaurs, and whatever else it runs into, to escape. But as the weeks go by, it is becoming clear that survival here has pushed the Ford to its limits-- it is breaking down. Getting pummeled into the occasional tree has not helped. It can barely fly any longer, but it makes up for that with rumbling its engine and belching black smoke, slamming the doors, and generally being as menacing as possible.

In the end, Charity and Hagrid are able to capture the car. After all of that time, she's grown a sort of respect for the Anglia, not unlike a hunter with a dying wolf. She's like to save it if at all possible. It has other ideas. The magic keeping it 'alive' finally fails and all that they have left is a cold, lifeless automobile ready to fall apart from top to bottom.

I was thinking at that point, she would reach out to the Weasley family and specifically Arthur, since this was his car and he was the one to enchant it, even if she doesn't know that just yet.

I figure they'd work out an agreement and Arthur would ultimately be delighted to assist her, as they swap stories about muggle inventions. Maybe swing it so with the Tournament taking place that year, Arthur would have an excuse as a Ministry official to be on the grounds and help her experiment on more muggle tech or old cars or what not. No real clear idea for how to end it, maybe just skip the Weasley's and close out with the Anglia dying.

8. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

What if time travel was impossible with magic? Time Turners didn't exist, etc.

I'd be interested to see how the plot of Prisoner of Azkaban would be different if Hermione wasn't given a Time Turner, cause they didn't exist.

9. Goten Askil

Goten Askil Groundskeeper

@Andrela : For one, Hermione would be forced to take fewer courses. Or Hogwarts would have to implement a timetable where Gryffindors can study both Divination AND Muggle Studies *gasp* without missing half the classes. Shocking.

As to serious (ha ha, I'm so funny /s) things, I suppose 1) Dumbledore would help Sirius escape himself (boring rehashy deus-ex), 2) he would pull his weight, get Veritaserum that Snape totally wouldn't lace with poison and somehow clear Sirius (fix-it fic), 3) Sirius would get Kissed. Harry is under even more pressure the next year without him, but I don't think he got too much info from Sirius (I can be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the only thing he learnt was the red-earing about Karkaroff being a DE, which he also got from the Pensieve trip) so Voldemort is still back in the end.

The Order needs another HQ (unless Sirius already had his will in favor of Harry), Harry doesn't get a knife-master key he never uses only once anyway, and Voldemort needs another bait for the Prophecy (Lupin, probably, or a Weasley). Perhaps Snape is happy enough with himself that he doesn't let it slip that Lupin's a werewolf, but with the curse still in effect, I'd bet Lupin resigns and goes to look for Wormtail. That's it for the main plot, really, Sirius never was that important in the story for the things he did.

However, he was for Harry's emotional state, so things can change if you make Harry a little more vindictive. His only family, that he just discovered, was just killed because of Snape's grudge and Fudge's unwillingness to even listen. If Dumbledore openly refused to let Sirius escape (which he clearly has the power to do in Harry's PoV), or if he keeps defending Snape's actions, that's also a pretty nice place to drive a wedge between them. You want a motivation for Indy!Harry to start accumulating political power? Well here you are: his only family was Kissed without a trial while real Death Eaters are still free to have fun with Muggles at the World Cup, all because they have Fudge in their pocket.

That would be a fun start to Harry trying to gain influence in the Ministry, with Hermione as a kinda moral compass and vicious plans maker and Ron as a pureblood informed by his father on the way the Ministry works (even though canon!Ron apparently knows less about Wizarding World than canon!Hermione despite how nonsensical it is).

10. Andrela

AU.

British wizards conquered all other magical nations a long time ago.

All young witches and wizards from all over the world attend Hogwarts now, there are no other schools anymore.

Hogwarts is much bigger than in Canon, resembling a town more than a castle. There are more teachers as well.

Hogsmeade is not a village, but a big city, concealed with strong secrecy charms from muggles.

11. Andrela

Apologies for doubleposting.

What about a Lucius Malfoy Peggy Sue?

Say he dies sometime during the Battle of Hogwarts and wakes up on the day Draco goes to begin his first Hogwarts year in 1991.

Do you think that ultimately he'd change things for the better or worse? I would think that being treated badly by Voldemort might have changed his mind about a lot of things.

12. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Depends if he lived to sit in the Great Hall with his family amongst the victors or not. Either way, he'd have no loyalty to Voldemort and would use his knowledge to advance the standing of his family. How altruistic he is to 'the other side' or Harry would depend on if he got that moment of shellshock sitting with the winners wondering why they were being tolerated

13. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Malfoy is a worm, he'd use his future knowledge to look better to Voldemort, but still place himself in a way to avoid betting swept up in Voldemort's fall.

14. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah I think Peggy Sue Lucius would still side with Voldemort.

The problem with switching to Dumbledore's side is that he doesn't know how Harry beat Voldemort and therefore doesn't know if by changing the timeline, he eliminates the possibility of it happening. The last thing he wants to do is to switch sides then lose. Especially as there's the possibility that Voldemort will kill him for turning traitor well before the war is over anyway.

No, his best bet is to stick with Voldemort and do it better. He only really has to make two major changes. Step 1: don't give away the diary, thereby avoiding Voldemort's fury. Step 2: when he is face to face with Harry in the Department of Mysteries, just hit him in the face with a Killing Curse, prophecy be damned. Once Harry is dead, the Dark Lord will forgive him.

15. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

I think it'd be more interesting to make it Draco, as many warning bells as that might set off in a summary. Draco doesn't have the freedoms and influence that Lucius does. A sudden change in Draco's attitude to life, while also still be on a rail-road to the dark lord and desperately trying to save his family from their future. I think there's more opportunity in that.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  16. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

[​IMG]

17. Longsword

Longsword Banned

Option 3 :
    Lucius does not try to bring back Voldemort at all. He will try to enhance his standing all the while trying to stop the resurrection.

Life before GoF suited the Malfoys just fine.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  18. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The only reason the Dark Lord wanted to know the prophecy was because he thought it could explain why Harry kept surviving.

If Lucius Malfoy returns with no prophecy but can report that Harry Potter is dead, the Dark Lord will be upset, sure. Upset that he was disobeyed, upset that he didn't get to kill Harry himself. But ultimately... he will be pleased with the result, and I think Lucius would come out of it with Voldemort's favour.

Similar to how he was upset that Draco didn't kill Dumbledore as ordered, but was pleased enough with the result that no one really got punished for it.

19. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Wasn't he in the Great Hall when Harry explained the whole thing about the Ownership of the Elder Wand? Though I think that would rather make him stay with Voldemort since there is no safe way for him to repeat that.

How can he be sure that this would even work? He pretty much just saw Harry come back to life from being killed by Voldemort, he wouldnt even be that wrong, there is a decent chance that it wouldnt work since Voldemort was still tethering Harry to life(its not guaranteed, but there is a chance).

Generally I think he would have aided Voldemort actively in first year, for one, he knows of Voldemorts presence in Hogwarts and his attempt to steal the philosophers stone, he also was there when Harry revealed Snapes true loyalty to Voldemort and knows that Snape opposed Voldemort then, he should also know about the presence of Peter Pettigrew in Hogwarts, which is basically a Death Eater nobody except him knows about, theres also Voldemort having been angry the last time when Lucius didnt try to restore him by himself.

Lucius as member of the board of Govenors also has an actual possiblity to enter Hogwarts without causing suspicion. I could see him using his chance to contact Quirrel and Voldemort and tell him both about the brother wands and Lily Potters protective magic on Harry and how the Philosophers stone wouldn't protect him, then use the chance to recruit Wormtail too, so he can aid them in kidnapping Harry while he still has the identity of Scrabbers.

They would have a decent chance of restoring Voldemort in a couple months.

20. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Harry as Care of Magical Creatures professor.

Pretty much an excuse to take field trips camping in exotic environments and teaching the older students how to survive, since they are by definition 'magical creatures' compared to muggles. Get some time in learning about the local magical wildlife they are supposed to be studying as well, but yeah. I just want to see Harry lazily rocking in a hammock as the pure-bloods complain in their poorly fashioned tents about how this class is complete bollocks, with one or two eager muggleborns taking right to it. Dunno. Just some simple fun, not very serious.