1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny Threa(d/t) V

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Mar 1, 2015.

1. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

Voldemort = Dumbledore with the Elder wand > Dumbledore without the Elder Wand > Grindelwald with the Elder Wand> Grindelwald after 50 years in prison without the Elder Wand.

2. ExperiencedGamer

ExperiencedGamer Fourth Year

I'm pretty sure what @Download means is that Grindelwald is used as a scapegoat, because Fudge wouldn't budge on the Voldemort topic. (So, to be prepared and on a war footing, they present Gellert as the villain).

But yes, Voldemort wasn't an international war criminal like Gellert. As such, it would most definitely backfire and get everyone out for blood.

3. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This. I thought that was clear.

4. Advice Needed

Advice Needed Banned

Another Ron-centric fanfic idea, a crossover/fusion with H2O: Just Add Water.

Let's say instead of going to Egypt the summer before third year, the entire Weasley family goes to Australia. Ron somehow falls into a magical pool during a full moon, becomes a merboy and tries to keep it a secret from everyone.

The main conflict, I'd imagine, would be how he would control his newfound power(s) over water (In the original show the girls got powers over water - one could increase or decrease the amount of water present, manipulate it into shapes and later control the wind, one could heat water up and later control fire and lightening, one could freeze water, and later develops the ability to control clouds, ice, and snow and the last could change water into gelatine and a crystalline substance), deal with the “you become a merman ten seconds after touching water” thing, dealing with full moon weirdness (the girls couldn't look at the full moon, either directly or indirectly, or else they began acting strange and out of control, with the occasional weird shit happening to everyone else) and keeping it a secret so that he doesn’t lose his human rights (merpeople are considered beasts in HP). Could make the Second Task and the aftermath more interesting if it goes on that long, or work as a fun one-shot crackfic.

5. James

James Unspeakable

I've read every HP/aSoIaF/GoT fic there is on ff.net - with the exception of obvious "This is utter shit" and "Written by 12 year old girl because slash is dreamy" - and I've dreamed up a couple of fics I'd like to read, or possibly try to write. It's based on things I liked and things I particularly disliked about the crossovers I found, and it's a rough setup for each way of magic merging from Taure's HP Wizard in Middle-Earth

1.) North/Tech uplift - HP reborn as a younger brother of Eddard - either Benjen or fourth brother

Would start after Robert's Rebellion - Harry Stark was gone from Westeros for X years, comes back, takes Moat Caitlin and starts to rebuild:
    - HP magic replaced by:
    - either really talented greenseeing - and I mean really talented. Control over nature, seeing stuff from past and future, great talent in warging - honed by previous occlumency/legillimency experience
    - some sort of runes stuff (hey Royce) / other magic from all over the world
    - canal happens, becomes merchantly center of north
    - Harry Stark knows what stuff is available in the future, but doesn't know how it works. Would include building a centre of knowledge - Marwyn the Mage (hello), Qyburn, alchemists - to create shit for him, so he isn't one man font of knowledge
    - he loves the Stark family and dynasty, but dislikes current Winterfell branch

I've no idea what would be the endgame.

2.) Harry reborn for a full life and once he can, he decides to ignore the world and travel and discover/learn magic and stuff

Starts with Harry on his way to Griffin's Roost for hopefully magical birds so he can build a fully working wand and enjoy the quality of life of previous life. During this he somehow stumbles upon King's Landing being sacked and saves Elia. Arc 1 is travel to Dorne, interspersed with history up to this point>
    - born in Pentos
    - enslaved ~4-6 years old, brought to Fighting Pits
    - fights with a staff made of Goldenheart, somehow discovers that covering it with blood of defeated foes and then cooking over fire somehow imbues the wood with "power" - makes a decent magic tool for magic of asoiaf
    - harry remembers, but not well and 100%
    - in this story, occlumency is sort of just knowing self really well and magic, so part of "occlumency training" is small quest to Qarth and House of Undying, and unlocking the previous life's memories and meshing with this life (I want the occlumency to provide some benefit to user, i.e. recall and thought speed, but dislike the "walls and shields" type of occlumency learning/training)
    - from here, he goes to find a wand parts

Arc 1 ends with Harry, Elia, and Ashara Dayne just going travelling.
    Arc 2 would probably end with a functioning wand, some more skill in magic
    Arc 3 would be recreating the Weasley tent and enchantments and Harry just cheerfully traipsing the world and experimenting with stuff in Asoiaf

Further content would possibly include Harry actually getting into pollitics, but I'm not sure how yet; One option is just cashing in on saving Elia and requesting some small part of Dorne, and building from there. Other is actually being a dick and somehow taking Tarth, because Tarth is beautiful, and this Harry went Second War => death => reborn => slavery => fighting => hunting a wand and now just wants beauty around

3.) world turned to shit and Harry leads people to westeros

There a few of these stories, but none include actually using magic to the fullest, or rebuilding the magical world, or stuff. They just end with nonsense like fighting with swords and stuff. This one starts at first look at planetos. Arc 1 would be learning about the world, selecting where to settle, and then learning about the world, and deciding how to connect wizarding world to westeros.

All three would be somewhat lighter than the world of asoiaf, and are mostly "interesting stuff" - my pet peeves.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  6. Cuirassier

Cuirassier Banned

Cailin, not Catelyn. Ned wouldn't be too happy if he took her moat.:p

Every single story introduces (or befriends) the magical OC to the main characters very quickly. That should be done organically, if at all.

ASoIaF should remain a low-fantasy series. Mixing too much magic just kills the story.

7. James

James Unspeakable

yeah, fatfingered that

that’s intentional - in medias res, as opposed to stories that lose all steam before they even reach arc 1, or, god forbid, are full of “flashback start” shit.

thatks actually quite against what i wanted - the first one would be swords & sorcery, I’d say, one would be magical adventure and the last would be “nation buidling”.

8. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Harry Potter and The Snap

Inspired by @Erotic Adventures of S thread in Real Life Discussion.

The scenario is similar but happens in the HP universe.

There are no Avengers or other Marvel characters on Earth. Thanos snaps his fingers on a very distant planet. The Snapped return after 5 years after someone else defeats Thanos.

The Snap takes place in June 1996, during the Battle of Department of Mysteries.

When the Order fights the Death Eaters in the Death Chamber, suddenly several people in the room vanish.

Harry sees as friends and enemies alike simply turn to dust and disappear.

So, who got Snapped?

I made some dice rolls for the more important characters (1,3,5 were Snaps). Since this is Harry's story he gets plot armor and survives by default.

Lord Voldemort - Snapped (includes Horcruxes, the one in Harry too)
    Albus Dumbledore - Snapped
    Hermione Granger - Snapped
    Ron Weasley - Survives
    Bellatrix Lestrange - Survives
    Lucius Malfoy - Snapped
    Narcissa Malfoy - Survives
    Draco Malfoy - Survives
    Cornelius Fudge - Snapped
    Severus Snape - Snapped
    Minerva McGonagall - Snapped
    Ginny Weasley - Snapped
    Sirius Black - Snapped (Snap happens before Bella would have killed him)
    Luna Lovegood - Survives
    Neville Longbottom - Survives
    Remus Lupin - Snapped
    Nyphadora Tonks - Survives
    Alastor Moody - Survives
    Kingsley Shacklebolt - Survives
    Rubeus Hagrid - Snapped
    Filius Flitwick - Survives
    Pomona Sprout - Snapped
    Dolores Umbridge - Snapped
    Molly Weasley - Snapped
    Arthur Weasley - Survives

Bonus: All Dursleys get Snapped and Harry's blood protection deactivates. Of course, there's no Voldemort anymore so it doesn't matter.

That's the ones I used the dice rolls for, the rest would be decided as the story goes along.

With both Voldemort and Dumbledore gone, there's no way for Harry to prove to the Ministry that Voldemort really was back during all this time. However as Fudge and Umbridge are gone as well, it does help Harry for a time.

The battle of course grinds to a halt. Bella and the remaining Death Eaters see their Dark Marks fade almost entirely, this combined with people disappearing causes them to abandon the mission and escape.

But of course this is just the beginning as both the Magical and Muggle worlds go into absolute chaos.

And yes, this does include the rule that ALL life is halved, including all animals and plants.

9. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Roll for the Ford Anglia

10. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I had an idea for a Post-Dragonborn Skyrim.
    Basically, a few weeks after the player logs out and quits playing the game, the character is declared missing. Skyrim has portals to other dimensions, and before the twentieth century irl it was relatively normal for nobody to know exactly where you were, but the Dragonborn is rather notorious for hastily travelling between towns and dumping his valuable inventory on the shopkeeps. The fact that none of them have seen him in a while is somewhat concerning.
    Life goes on. Various groups like the Companions, the Dark Brotherhood, and the Silver Hand continue to vie for dominance, the painful stalemate of the war devolves into the worst possible conclusion for Skyrim, an armistice in which the province is divided and ripe for the taking by the Aldmeri Dominion. The Greybeards send out a call to the two commanders for a summit, where it is agreed that the Dragonborn must be found if he still breathes, but as neither side trusts the other, it will come down to the nine holds to search. Little did they know what they would find.
    Basically, the player wanted to try out the fortify rest -> fortify enchanting -> fortify alchemy loop, resulting in the creation of nine totally broken items that he stored in his various properties after creating superior or just cooler-looking replacements. Each of the nine holds conducts a search of the nine properties for clues as to his whereabouts(Winterhold doesn't have a house buying option, so their search party goes to the Raven Rock house) and in each search party there was a thief, a scoundrel, or someone with something else in mind. The broken items are stolen and quickly end up at the discretion of the following people:
    Silver Necklace of Speech - Maven Black-Briar of Black-Briar Meadery
    Boots of Sneak - Mercer Frey of the Thieves' Guild
    Iron Dagger of Life Drain - Astrid of the Dark Brotherhood
    Copper Circlet of Alchemy - Savos Aren of the College
    Hide Shield of Fortify Health - Ulfric Stormcloak
    Iron Ax of Ice Damage - General Tullius
    Gloves of Fortify Unarmed - Krev the Skinner of the Silver Hand
    Hunting Bow of Fear - Delphine of the Blades
    Fine Clothes of Fortify Smithing - Vittoria Vici of the East Empire Company

11. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Note: The AU point of divergence is that Hogwarts accepts students from Canada which in this world is part of the Commonwealth of Magical United Kingdom.

---

The sun was shining particularly strongly today. Birds were singing, bees were flying from flower to flower...

"Bottle kids!"

Glass bottles shattered on the door and walls as he ducked behind a car for safety. He heard an animal screeching in pain.

He lit up a smoke and after making sure the kids were gone he left his hiding spot.

"Ricky? You ok? Damn kids hit an owl," he heard nearby. It was Julian, one of his two best friends.

"No shit? An owl? Come on, let's have a look before Bubbles' cats eat it or something."

The owl was bleeding, a piece of glass stuck in its wing. It also had something attached to its claws, a letter.

"Who the fuck sends letters with owls?" asked Julian.

"Come on, let's open it. There could be cash inside," said Ricky and took the letter.

"Look, there's a name and an address."

Ms. Trinity Collins
    Sunnyvale Trailer Park
    Dartmouth
    Nova Scotia

"What the fuck? Somebody's sending letters to my daughter?!"

"Could be a creep! Quick, open it," said Julian. He was initially against opening the thing, invasion of privacy and all, but creeps sending letters to kids was fucked up.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

Headmistress: MINERVA MCGONAGALL

Dear Ms. Collins,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

Term begins on September 1. We await your owl by no later than July 31.

Yours sincerely,

Filius Flitwick,
    Deputy Headmaster
    "What kind of a fucking name is Hogwarts?"

12. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

I've been thinking about how to make a Harry Potter/Warhammer Fantasy story enjoyable.

I'm not really a fan of a fusion in a case like this (simply casting Harry, Voldemort, etc as characters in Warhammer) as it tends to seriously undermine the characters. At the same time, you have to be really careful with the dimension hopping approach, as Chaos is kinda a big deal. You need to really address why it's not a problem in HP-world.

So here's what I've come up with.

Backstory

The Old Ones were an intergalactic civilisation, thus it stands to reason that the Warhammer World was not the only one which they decided to play with. They found another world teeming with life. A completely different set of Old Ones took it upon themselves to direct this world towards a harmonious future, but the Old Ones are not some amorphous blob without individuality. These Old ones felt that a lighter touch would yield far better results. So they did not spawn Slann or Skinks or Saurus to do their bidding, instead they intended to spawn some interesting races which are sensitive to magic, such that they can be subtly steered in directions which the Old ones deem best. They eschew the polar gates because the strength of the magical races, and the inherent geomantic web of the world would have made them unstable.

As they are doing this Xholankha the Lost becomes displeased with the way his brethren are forming the Warhammer World and jumps ship. He does, however, miss his most recent creation: Mankind, and so spawns them on HP-earth too. When the gate system of the Old Ones collapse, and Chaos washes over the Warhammer world, and the unnumbered other worlds in the Old Ones' domain, Earth is spared, but to save their beloved creations, the Old Ones of Earth flee, and leave it to develop on its own.

Actual Story

Enter Indy!Harry. Um. Archaeologist Harry. He's on an expedition in the Congo and finds the sanctum of Xholankha hidden among the trees. During his investigation of it he uncovers an artefact left behind by the Old One. It pained Xholankha so much to leave behind his children in the Warhammer World, that he created an item capable of transporting him between the two if he so desired. Harry accidentally activates this item, which acts like a Portkey and deposits him in Zlatlan, the greatest temple city of the Southlands.

He is greeted by the Lizardmen there, who revere him as a messenger of Xholankha. His arrival was prophesied long ago. They claim that he will wipe the stain of Chaos from the world, but he wants none of it. He just wants to get home, so the Lizzies eventually tell him how.

They claim that the item he used to get there can only be reversed in highly specific circumstances. Both Morrslieb and Mannslieb must be full, and he must do it at the centre of the world: within the vortex at the very heart of Ulthuan. Only when those two things are true, they claim, will the magic of the plaque be reversed, allowing him to return home.

In reality, none of that is needed, but the magical properties they claim are true. It's just that it will be the Vortex being reversed, not the artefact. It will cause all the wild magic to be pushed from the world, back into the polar gates, stopping chaos from ever being able to gain a true foothold in the world again.

Harry, unaware of this, agrees. The Slann offer to send him as far as they can through their geomantic web, so he is sent to Tlaqua, the most northerly point they can connect him too (seems reasonable to me. Zlatlan is unable to contact Lustria due to the curvature of the earth, supposedly, and Tlaqua is a similar distance away according to maps anyway).

Tlaqua has, for the past two generations, been allowing human traders from Sudenburg within sight of their city. In the knowledge that Harry would arrive soon, they have been trading with enterprising individuals from Sudenburg so that they have connections. It is important that Harry remain unknown to the servants of Chaos for as long as possible, so they don't try to send him with a Lizardman retinue. Instead, they pay to have one of the traders bring him to Sudenburg, where the plan is for him to book passage on a ship to Lothern. No ships run that far from there, but he's able to find one that will take him as far as Lashiek.

Insert some fights with Arabyan raiders and corsairs. A run in with some Dark Elf slavers in Lashiek, and maybe a hot Elf Waifu or two on his way to the Vortex, and this shit might actually work.

Nothing great, or deep, or meaningful. But it might be fun.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  13. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Harry Potter/Fire Emblem Three Houses Xover.

Harry Potter dies...and awakens in the body of Byleth. Basically, Harry as Teacher in a slight different fantasy world.

14. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Alternative take: Harry finds his spirit bound to Byleth in the same way a certain someone already is. Cue 2 voices in Byleth's head arguing over tactics, supplying power-- what Harry brings to the table being less plot-breaking than rewinding time on the battlefield.

15. MuggsieToll

MuggsieToll Seventh Year

What if, after Halloween 1981, Dumbledore actually does something to protect the wizarding world?

He sees scores of former Death Eaters get away with their genocidal actions scot free due to their wealth, influence, and ability to capitalize on a corrupt Ministry and Wizengamot. Worse yet, he sees them worm their way back into positions of social and political power. He knows, with almost 100% certainty, that some of them are involved with black magic that is keeping LV alive. He knows that LV was delving into the darkest of magic. He's not a fool, only one thing can twist a man like that which he saw in his office when a young Tom Riddle applied for the DADA position.

He sees that the muggleborns and half-bloods of Hogwarts are furious, elated that LV is dead, but eventually resigning from Hogwarts and leaving Wizarding Britain in protest due to the lack of justice following the war. His own paramilitary group, the Order of the Phoenix, is filled with scarred veterans who want nothing more than exact justice against the DE's that raped and pillaged and tortured and murdered their way from Scotland to Stonehenge. Remus Lupin, werewolf who has lost every friend he ever had. Rubeus Hagrid, framed by LV himself and set to be exterminiated. Mad-Eye Moody, whose battel scarred face causes children to faint in fear. Molly Weasley, who lost two brothers to Antonin Dolohov. Augusta Longbottom, whose heir and daughter-in-law were tortured into insanity and her grandson traumatized. Severus Snape, whose only friend and woman he would ever love were murdered by the Dark Lord.

He sees the Goblins protecting the wealth and treasure of men and women who attempted to overthrow the government, hiding behind the flimsy bullshit they called 'neutrality'.

He sees the spawn of these so called 'reformed' Death Eaters continue to bring their blood purist nonsense into his school, harassing his staff, and making life hell for his students.

What if, instead of sitting on his ass doing nothing for 15 years, Dumbledore takes the fight back to these Death Eaters who sit in their lofty positions, thinking they are safe and secure from retribution? What if Dumbledore shows the world why he was considered a prodigy? What if Dumbledore shows the world what happens when they raise the ire of the Defeater of Grindlewald?

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  16. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I would guess that I wouldn't read it.

17. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Daphne Greengrass: pureblood princess, calm, composed, immaculate... and she hates all of it. Wanting to be free of that life, she spends much of her time at Hogwarts either drunk or high, and kicks off a friendship with Harry Potter just to spite her family.

18. Cuirassier

Cuirassier Banned

Composed and immaculate yet high. Must be on wizardly drugs.

19. Donimo

Donimo Auror

She only thinks she's composed and immaculate.

20. aAlouda

aAlouda High Inquisitor

She uses the imperius curse on herself, making herself behave exactly as she is supposed to, while she enjoys the high.

Just a reminder how Harry described his first experience with the Imperio.