1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny Threa(t/d) IV

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Sep 1, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Vandy222

Vandy222 Fourth Year

So I'm back after posting the prologue, and someone brought up an obvious but fair point.

Why would Voldemort bring Bella and Barty along in the first place? I need to go back and add a scene to the prologue I feel now.

I've received a couple of ideas...

1) Maybe Voldemort had a dream that has haunted him about his fate at Godric's Hollow
    2) Maybe the explanation should be rather obvious. He knows of the prophecy. He know's the Potters were already able to defy him on three sepaparte occasions. He also knows that he is dealing with a powerful and ancient charm....the Fidelius Charm. Perhaphs he simply believes that back up is warranted in case anything goes wrong.

Anyone have something else? I am assuming Bella and/or Barty would have no idea about the prophecy, right?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  2. Peace

Peace High Inquisitor

I don't think they would know about the prophecy. As for why they're there #2 seems like your best bet. You might have Voldemort assume that Dumbledore or the Order will respond quickly to an attack on Godric's Hollow and take Bellatrix/Barty along to hold them off while he kills the Potters.

3. Vandy222

Vandy222 Fourth Year

Yea I'm thinking you're right. An argument could be made that It would be more reasonable than what happened in canon. The counter argument, of course, is that its Voldemort...he doesn't feel the need for back up or anything like that. Still....I think that's reasonable enough. Too many reasons to bring back up for the option to be ignored completely.

4. South of Hell

South of Hell Third Year

Speaking of the Prophecy; what if Snape isn't there to hear half of it and then subsequently blab about it to Voldemort?

5. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Then the prophecy becomes null and void and there is no Boy Who Lived.

The prophecy only worked because Voldemort believed it would.

6. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I disagree. The prophecy could have still been valid, and Voldemort still could have marked Harry as his equal. Can't recall any stories that used that plot device.

The possibilities are virtually endless from that point on. Do Lily and James survive? Is Harry marked at a much later age? Does he grow up without his parents and goes to Hogwarts without the knowledge that Voldemort is responsible for his parents' death? Does Dumbledore even need to protect Harry by placing him with the Dursleys?

7. Vandy222

Vandy222 Fourth Year

Now that is interesting....

Why would he still go to the potters that night then? Because they defied him 3 times? Maybe he wishes to kill all the potentially powerful newborns of those that defied him? Trying to see how this fits into my story here...want to post some more later today.

Why were the potters placed under the fidelius charm in the first place again?

8. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

They probably were tired of moving from one safehouse to the next. Had it been only them, and no Harry, they perhaps would not have opted for such a way to try and keep safe. Hogwarts was probably out of the question since too many people passed through there.

9. Vandy222

Vandy222 Fourth Year

Well I just posted that quick scene in my prologue. Decided to abstain from the Voldy didn't know of the prophecy idea. Great idea, just don't think it's going to fit into this story, unfortunately.

10. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Ok, I just came up with a Game of Thrones Crossover story that is either really brilliant or really stupid.

Dumbledore gets Mind-Switched into Edmure Tully's body, Voldemort into Littlefinger, and Grindelwald into Viserys Targaryen, all just before the books/show start. They do get the respective memories of the former bodies. They may or may not be allowed to immediately use HP Magic.

11. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

If they were given access to the magic they wielded in HP, then Westeros is well and truly fucked. Fuck the Others, Fiendfyre's going to take care of them.

12. Andrela

So what? They're still enemies. I don't see Dumbledore conquering the world, but I do see him defending it from Grindelwald and Voldemort.

In fact, Grindelwald may realize that Voldemort is not the best guy to have around and may help Dumbledore eliminate the Dark Lord.

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If they don't have access to HP powers, Dumbledore has a pretty huge advantage in being the heir to one of the great families.

14. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

I'd say Grindelwald would have the greatest advantage in that regard, actually. A Viserys with charisma and intelligence could make an enormous impact on the ASoIaF world.

15. Andrela

And now for something completely different...

The Core of the Issue.

The Battle in the Department of Mysteries goes much differently causing Harry and Voldemort to end up being sent to another universe. They arrive each in separate locations, Harry appears at the Dursleys while the Dark Lord appears near Wool's Orphanage (or whatever remains in its place).

There are some problems, though.

It is the year 1991. They're separate entities, meaning there are now two Harrys and two Voldemorts. This is clearly a world very different from what they remember. For one, wizards in this world have strange limits, which they call 'Magical Cores' or some nonsense like that. Harry and Voldemort of course don't have these 'cores' and their magic works like it always did, meaning infinite spells and no 'magical exhaustion'.

So that's the setup, Harry and Voldemort, both sufficiently powered by the fact that their magic doesn't 'run out' in a world where everyone is inherently inferior to them.

A few predictions: Canon!Voldemort will destroy the Core!Voldemort and take his place, there's no room for alliances among the two. Canon!Harry on the other hand, doesn't have the Trace on him as in this universe the Trace works through the magical cores. Harry is simply invisible to most if not all tracking spells (including Homenum Revelio). Of course, Voldemort has this boon as well.

Harry is also older than his AU counterpart, so he may aid him and teach him stuff. He will most definitely contact Dumbledore and attempt to warn him about Voldemort.

This obviously would not be a canon rehash, with Canon!Voldemort having a body and infinite magic as well as Harry as his Horcrux, the Second War starts immediately before Core!Harry's first Hogwarts year.

Why such an idea? Well, I'd like to see a world with magical cores completely owned by canon Harry and Riddle.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  16. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

So long as Lily and James stay dead, without the whole 'No, I mustn't bond with my not-parents, the angst is too strong for me to resist' shit, I'd read that. But then again, I seem to be up for reading most of the plot bunnies you pop out. Has anyone ever taken up one of them and written a story, whether one-shot or more?

17. Andrela

Well James and Lily are dead by 1991. So, they're not in the picture.

Not that I'm aware of. Though, I enjoy writing them too much to care either way :)

18. meev

meev Groundskeeper

Not really? He's still the Beggar King. He has nothing to bargain with. The only people who have the power and the motive to assist him based upon who he is don't actually have the motive because they are and always were behind someone else. The only person willing to make a deal with him (which is the only way he can get any power from his position) was always going to be Drogo, because Drogo never intended to honor said deal.

Viserys is the worst possible option. Because the only thing your heritage gets you is people trying to kill you. It's like being Daenerys without Dragons or Dothraki.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  19. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

The Martell's intended to marry Arianne to Viserys and ally with him.

Hal
  20. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Also, since Grindelwald is/was a wizard, he could conceivably hatch the dragons himself. Or at least master one when Danaerys did so.

Not open for further replies.