1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny Threa(t/d) IV

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Sep 1, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    If you wanted to do the "purebloods are better" thing, you can just sort-of-merge it with another piece of fanon - "Purebloods can cast magic at home because the magical sensors can't detect who did what".

Not that kids cast spells, but that certain areas seem to be saturated in magic, and others less so. And as a child grows, if they are in a magically rich environment, then they are permeated with magic as they grow. They'll live longer, be more beautiful, have faster reflexes, have greater control of their own body, and so on. Whether or not the people know this in-universe is different. Because a child of a witch and wizard will nearly always be brought up around large amounts of magic, and muggleborns will be exposed to very little.

This could also explain the Gaunts - they moved further away from the nearby conclaves, because the others were not 'pure' enough. And as each generation was raised with less magic, they received fewer benefits.

This can sort of work with the Taure-theory. Because saturated wizards have better reflexes, and a higher level of control, their wand motions are always significantly better than unsaturated wizards. They don't trip over their tongues, so the incantations are always crisp and clear.

It also can explain why students of Hogwarts are better than those from the little hedge-schools. Not because of any actual superiority, but because of the leaky magic dripping from the walls. Miss Undertown's cottage was only raised twenty years ago, so hasn't had enough time to become saturated itself, let alone start leaking into the air.

Harry's abilities could be swung either way - he had a magical/soul based construct living in his head for most of his childhood, and lived under not-understood protections, but there was little-to-no actually cast magic around him.

2. ehrenyu

ehrenyu Fourth Year

That... that was beautiful. Seriously someone needs to write this. Brainwashed Muggles with magic tools is always a plus in my book. Plus they have awesome outfits. ;)

3. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Also, don't forget my evil conspiracy to take over the world. :facepalm

And, I wouldn't start a magic vs science discussion. Not here at least.

4. Heosphoros

Heosphoros Fourth Year

Well, I don't quite want the 'purebloods are better' thing more than I would like some expansion on their cause's motives, a noticeable superiority, even if by product of nurture instead of a inborn one would be a start, for that your idea is definetly good one. Still, I feel a little weird defending this point, pro-pureblood fanfics tend to be on the slashy side, hardly something I want to be associated with. Although now that this site became Dark Lord Fanfiction perhaps I may embrace those magnificent fanfics openly.

Changing subject, I have a very vague HP/Dresden Crossover bunny to offer. Simply, we would have the typical transference of Harry to Dresden's Universe, the means for that doesn't really matter, but with a change, Harry's magic become that of the new world. By my original idea, Harry would be extremely powerful by mortal wizards standards, closer to Mab's than a Senior Council member, since HP's magic is not really quantifiable and can easily and casually violate physics in ways that Dresden's can't, I expect that it would be worth quite a lot if transmuted into the later's magic.

From there we would have a very valuable Harry Potter, with everyone wanting to either recruit, eat him or both. Whether he remains capable to actually use magic reliably or is just the extreme of Strong but Unskilled would be to the author's discretion I suppose. Alternatively, HP is not that exceptional powerwise (near Dresden's level instead of inhumanly above) and simply goes on learning his new magic. Though the later option, with the Dresden'verse Wizard Potter, might be better in a fusion crossover.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  5. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Actually, that one also comes up pretty frequently too. A lot of your characters certainly like the idea of ruling the world, either at Voldemort's side or as the new Dark Lord.

Shutting up about Magic vs. Science bit now.

6. Vandy222

Vandy222 Fourth Year

Question...

In my story, Slytherin's Resurgence, we have Voldemort, Bellatrix, and Lucius in a room discussing what is to become of Harry Potter (this is after the prologue, baby Harry is present). Voldemort has an idea that Harry could possibly be a horcrux after his interaction with Nagini, or some form of connection to him.

Is it reasonable for him to propose the following plan and points...

- I am weak and it could take several years for me to regain my power and physical entity.
    - This child is an opportunity for us to come back stronger than ever before.
    -I will be proclaimed dead and Harry Potter will be hailed the hero, all thought to be dead as well.
    - He will be raised as a Black, as Arcturus will be dead, Sirius will be killed off, and he will be the head of the Black family.
    -When he is of age, it will be "accidentally" discovered that the Black heir is Harry Potter. He, of course, will pretend to have no clue that he was actually Harry Potter.
    -His fame will only be superseded by his admiration, at which point he can eventually rise to the top in politics.
    -He will be subservient to me only (Voldemort), and hopefully he will be powerful enough to be trusted as my ally (Darth Maul to the emperor if you will). He will grant me the opportunity to be at two places at once.
    -Thus... He can infiltrate the government, he will obey me, and together...along with my death eaters, we can kill off the order and continue to infiltrate the govt, enact laws favorable to our cause and eliminate muggleborns....in a lawful manner.

This might be far fetched....but I am trying to come up with some creative plans for Dark Harry. Any help is appreciated.

Here is a little sample of what I have on the chapter so far so you know where I am going.

Chapter One

The sound of ivory upon wood filled the room as Lucius Malfoy gripped his cane and stepped forward, his fingers relaxed upon the handle of a serpent's head cast in silver.

"Follow me," his voice was just above a whisper, close enough for Bellatrix to scent the spiced wine on his breath.

Leaving the parlor in tow of Lucius and entering the emerald carpeted library she had been present in just an hour ago, she spotted the dark lord sitting in a leather arm chair next to the fireplace. His head was resting upon his hand, his index finger pressuring his temple and his thumb stretching beneath his chin. Only the mutterings of parseltoungue could be heard as Bellatrix eyed Nagani coiled at the feet of her lord.

"Harry... Potter..." Voldemort broke his prattle, the embers within the fireplace reflecting within the gloss of Barty's eyes. "Bring him to me."

Stepping forward and placing the infant in Voldemort's lap, Bellatrix retracted her steps towards Lucius at twice the speed with her head tilted in a bow. Standing next to him, she only managed to swallow a lump in her throat, her submissive posture maintained as if she were to be cursed at any moment.

The dark lord outstretched his arms and lifted the infant above him, breathing a sigh of contemplation while he stared into Harry's eyes as if he were searching for an indiscernible flaw - something he had missed in his previous examination of the boy. Sweeping over every feature of the toddler, his eyes finally landed on the dark bangs covering his brow, halting his search and staring at them as if he had found the boy's only remaining ally of concealment.

Bringing the boy closer to his chest, Voldemort took his hand and brushed the bangs aside, revealing the fresh cut scar of a lightning bolt engraved upon the boy's forehead. The dark lord's penetrating pupils lured his head closer to the boy for further inspection, his eyes squinting as if trying to read indecipherable text, his lower jaw dropping as slow as the growth of winter's grass.

"Nagini..." his whisper of parseltongue trailed off, provoking the immediate attention of his familiar. "Nagini...do asss you pleassse."

Placing Harry at his feet and next to Nagini, Voldemort watched, his attention captivated by the Potter heir. At first, nothing in particular transpired but the peculiar absence of fear in the boy's eyes. The grandfather clock ticked as the fire crackled, moments passing with only the awkward stare between boy and snake.

Then, without warning, Harry's arm reached forward to touch Nagini's head, a boyish smile emerging upon his lips.

"Nagimi!" Harry screamed, his parseltongue mangled by his youth but coherent enough to trigger a smile from Lord Voldemort.

The dark lord's grin was as cruel as one might expect from a demon fresh from hell, sitting and watching his familiar slither toward the humored infant as if his experiment had proved him impervious to error. Bellatrix and Lucius, on the other hand, only stared at one another with baffled expressions, not knowing if they had heard broken speech or butchered parseltongue.

"Do you..." Bellatrix began, interrupting Voldemort's amusement. "Do you not wish me to get rid of him for you, my lord?"

Voldemort peered up, his smile vanishing within a blink of his eyes.

"You will make this clear to all of my followers, Bellatrix....Lucius. The first one to so much as touch this child without my expressed and explicit permission will lose an appendage of my choice, followed by crucifixion, humiliation, and death under the cruciatus. Do I make myself unmistakably clear?"

Lucius's and Bellatrix's eyes met again for a brief instance before their faces went white, both rendered dumbstruck and unable to respond.

Lucuis, however, recovered first.

"I...uh...well, yes my lord. Of course. Unmistakably."

"Good," Lord Voldemort's smile reappeared. "Now, fetch me your most recent book on the pureblood lines of England, Lucius. Surely, you of all people must own such a copy."

"Of course, my lord," Lucius bowed his head.

With a swift flick of his wand, a leather bound book the size of an encyclopedia flew from Lucius's desk on the far side of the room and into his hands.

"My lord," Lucius extended his hand, grasping a text labeled "England's History and Lineage of Pureblood Relations," by Alberta Flemmings.

"Excellent," Lord Voldemort retrieved the book and searched for its glossary.

"We have come across a most interesting opportunity," Voldemort mused as he flipped through the pages. "An opportunity any Slytherin would deem foolish to deny. If I'm not mistaken, we have here an extension of myself - a bastion of hope and resurgence for the pureblood lines in England."

"An extension of you, my lord?" Lucius questioned.

"Yes...an extension of me," Voldemort looked up from the text. "We'll leave it at that for now. In the aftermath of disaster, such as the one tonight, opportunity often presents itself to those who are willing to seize it. You, my dear Lucius, are keen on these endeavors. Surely you must see what I do."

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  7. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

Canon Voldemort would probably just kill Harry, no matter if he could speak parseltongue or not. Don't forget that Voldemort believes in prophecy. In fact, best course of action would be to write this without prophecy. There would be more troubles with it than it is worth.

You could also make Voldemort ooc, so he wouldn't kill Harry even though that he is a threat, but as I said, there would be unnecessary troubles with prophecy.

Why? In canon, Voldemort didn't have any followers that could help him with gaining his body back. That's why was disembodied for thirteen years. Once he met Pettigrew, he could have his body immediately, but he decided to wait instead until he got Harry's blood, which would negate a blood protection. In your case, Voldemort has both Harry and followers, so he doesn't have to wait at all.

That's a lot of assumptions. Voldemort would have to assume that Harry will be born politician, and a loyal one to boot.

It does seem farfetched to me. Voldemort is capable enough to control ministry with the help of his followers. We've seen that in canon. He doesn't need Harry.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  8. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

If you want to do purebloods are better, just do it the way Type-Moon does it.

9. Vandy222

Vandy222 Fourth Year

Yea all that makes sense, I guess I'm just over thinking it. No prophecy just solves that problem out right and could simply be stated in the summary. But then, you have to ask why he would try and spare Lily, why he would care enough to kill Harry, and why he would go to the Potters in the first place.

Perhaps since they defied him three times already? Maybe Snape knew of Voldemort's intentions regardless of the prophecy? Why not Kill their child? I just feel like their needs to be a solid explanation for all of that.

The only thing I disagree with is that Voldemort would kill Harry anyway since he knew of the prophecy. If Voldemort had a feeling that he created a horcrux within Harry, wouldn't he want him to be protected? Perhaps put him to some use?

10. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

I am not sure now, but I think that Voldemort systematically targeted and killed off all members of the Order. Potters were in that Order too, so they would be pretty high in Voldemort's person-to-kill list.

That too.

We don't know what Voldemort did to young children when some've gotten in his way. We can only guess that:

1) He would kill Harry too.
    2) Harry was last member of Potter line, which is supposed to be old. Voldemort would spare Harry for that reason and just leave him alone in his crib.

This is of course pure speculation. First option seems more probable to me, so for Harry to survive, maybe he would have to be somewhere else at the time of the attack. Maybe James and Lily were in the battlefield where they died? That seems like the best option to me, but you can come up with whatever.

If prophecy didn't exist, then sure. Voldemort would probably just leave him alone. It would be meaningless to destroy his own horcrux.

If prophecy would exist, then... I just don't know. Voldemort would be in a dilemma. To kill, or not to kill? That's a question. Maybe he would give some potion to Harry so he would be asleep forever and placed him somewhere safe. That would be supreme protection from Dumbledore, which would surely refuse to kill defenseless child.

In the end, I don't think that he would leave Harry alone. He would want to dispose of him somehow to get rid of the prophecy.

11. Vandy222

Vandy222 Fourth Year

Yeah I guess that's it then. It is still more than reasonable to assume that Voldemort would go to Godric's Hollow at some point to kill off the Potters...and probably Harry too, with or without the prophecy.

Within this context and in the event that he fails, takes over Barty Crouch's body, and learns that Harry is now a parseltongue...and possibly a horcrux, he MIGHT want to use the boy instead of just keeping him in the dungeons or what not. After all, he is Slytherin, and if that means anything at all he might look for opportunity in the situation rather than just giving him a potion or locking him up somewhere.

But how would he use him? Maybe he doesn't initially believe he is a horcrux, but somehow distantly related to the Slytherin line from the Peverells? That might be an outlandish and unfounded assumption, but he might not immediately assume that he somehow created another horcrux....so, how does he figure that Harry is a parselmouth?

12. ehrenyu

ehrenyu Fourth Year

Logically it makes sense; however, if Harry's got a piece of Voldemort's soul, you'd think Voldemort could tell. You know, cause magic. He wouldn't necessarily feel it if Harry was offed, but he should be able to sense that sort of thing, like Harry's Scarcrux resonating with the other horcruxes sort of deal.

13. Andrela

Time travel is tricky business. We are outright told in Pottermore that while it is technically possible to go back many, many years in the past (and then back to the future), you will be forcibly aged, some people may end up being unbirthed and reality itself may be damaged (there was a tuesday which lasted two days).

Not to mention all the problems with normal time-turner use. But we won't get into them now.

Some fics go around this by inventing new forms of time travel (the Veil, the ethereal King's Cross, Master of Death stuff). There's one method in particular that is very common: "Physical objects can't be sent that way, but memories can!" and cue in Harry sending his own memories to his 11 year old counterpart.

But let's go further with the limits and say that even sending memories or souls for that matter would disrupt reality (in fact, I'd argue that souls would disrupt it more than matter).

How about spells though? They are only a magical cause/effect. No actual matter involved here and most certainly no souls.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you The Time-Travelling Killing Curse.

It is the year 1999 and Harry Potter is currently hiding somewhere in Asia. Voldemort won the Battle of Hogwarts and took over Wizarding Britain completely. Why? Turns out that Dumbledore has made a mistake and when Harry returns to life in that forest, he brings back the Scrarcrux with him, once again making Voldemort immortal.

Or something else goes wrong and Voldemort wins (nobody actually cares about the dark future that is about to be rewritten).

Harry and his friends barely escape with their lives (in fact, Ginny dies, just because) and now they're planning what to do.

Hermione, ever the smart girl she is, finds some obscure mention about a method of sending spells through time (either to the future or to the past).

To cut things short: They want to send a Killing Curse through time to the day Voldemort was born and therefore prevent his rise and reign of terror.

Our heroes travel to Wool's Orphanage (or whatever remains of it) and through some memory-digging, find out what was the exact spot Tom Marvolo Riddle was born in.

They perform the necessary spells and rituals and everything and someone cast the Killing Curse which vanishes.

Quite naturally, it all goes wrong and explodes in their faces, killing all the heroes immediately. But, the spell is indeed sent back in time, kills Tom moments after he is born and the reality is altered.

You could go anywhere with this. Perhaps reality without Tom is even worse? Perhaps the Curse goes to another time period and instead kills Dumbledore who comes to tell Tom about Hogwarts. You could have the Curse weakened so it only does minimal damage to Tom (giving him a scar, for example).

All in all, that's the Bunny.

14. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Harry Potter/Frozen crossover.

When Elsa's powers leave Anna injured in the prologue to Frozen, her parents decide there's only one thing for it: she has to go to Hogwarts.

An Elsa-centric exploration of 1800s Hogwarts.

Holy shit I want to write this fic.

15. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, you would you details whore -.- .

16. Andrela

This is very suspicious.

First Republic writes an excellent Frozen/HTTYD crossover.

Then Don uses my plot bunny to start an excellent fic.

Now Taure wants to write a HP/Frozen crossover.

Either I won the galactic lottery, or there's a deep conspiracy on DLP to make my life much more enjoyable.

Either way, proceed.

Not only I desire to see the 1800s Hogwarts on its own, but adding Elsa into it just spoils me.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  17. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Where is Republic's fic? I'm intrigued. That fluffy Brave/HTTYD fic "Through the Storm We Reach the Shore" was pretty good for an all romance fic.

18. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

A Chance Encounter in Misc WBA.

19. Skyshayde

Skyshayde Squib

So, I had this idea after finishing Worm by Wildbow. Fantastic book, should totally read it.

Anyway, what if the events of Worm happened in HP. Scion showing up in '82, Parahumans in '87, and so on. While a lot of Harry's life at the Dursley's isn't shown, I bet it would be possible for him to have a trigger event. His power would be solid enough so that it isn't completely overshadowed by magic, but not broken as hell.

Any thoughts? Is it good? Terrible?

20. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Only if Voldemort (or other enemies) also have parahuman powers, so as to make the protagonist's life more difficult.

Not open for further replies.