1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny Threa(t/d) IV

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Sep 1, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

I actually have notes typed up for a few historical events with wizards included. Mainly just things attributed to acts of God, showing how they were acts of the wand (maybe the Elder). Centered around a few people, like Joan and George Washington.

I'd be willing to get to work on the stories if I knew people would be interested.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  2. kjp

kjp DA Member

So I’ve had this idea bouncing around in my head for a while now but I want to wait until I’m a good enough writer to do it justice.

The basic premise is that instead of going into hiding the Wizards decide to overthrow the muggle kings. Without the muggles to unite them wizards begin to splinter into a sort of Feudal System. Rather than sharing knowledge at places like Hogwarts they choose to hoard it in an attempt to gain power over their rivals.

My story would follow Harry an orphan who doesn’t realize he’s magical. The first chapter would be about how muggles live when the world is dominated by wizards. I’d also want to introduce Dumbledore into the mix early on as sort of a kind old man who teaches Harry to read. One of the books in Dumbledore’s collection is titled Anslem.

Anyways as a muggleborn Harry gets drafted into Malfoy’s Army. This would be used to show how muggleborns and lesser wizards are treated, which is only slightly better than the muggles. The soldiers in the army would be kept deliberately ignorant of any magic other than what they need to fight .This serves to make them dependent on the nobles for things like medical care.

Anyways while he’s learning how to fight he meets Hermione a healer’s apprentice. She secretly teaches him about potion making and healing and he teaches her about fighting. She gives him a copy of Anslem, and we find out that it’s a protest novel and that merely possessing it is enough to get someone killed. After a while Hermione becomes fed up with being a second class citizen and runs away from the Malfoys.

A few months later Harry and the rest of the army attack a rebel settlement. Harry sees Hermione in the fighting with the rebels though after the battle he’s unable to determine if she lived or died. Anyways Draco does something stupid and Harry saves him. Harry also kills the leader of the rebels, Remus Lupin, who Harry recognizes as a friend of Dumbledore. As a result Harry is made a Warlock, basically a knight, and becomes Draco’s personal assistant.

Harry position near Malfoy allows him to see what life is like for those at the very top of society. Even though their rich, they live in constant fear of a rebellion. Anyways he discovers a copy of Anslem in Draco’s possession and as a result discovers that Draco is sympathetic to the plight of the muggles. As a result Harry and Draco grow to be friends. Indeed his friendship with Draco leads Harry to believe that maybe change can be brought about without violence.

Harry returns to the village he grew up in and is surprised at how differently people treat him. He confronts Dumbledore who admits to being one of the rebels primary ringleaders. Dumbledore asks Harry what he intends to do about it. Conflicted Harry walks away without arresting Dumbledore or joining him.

Sometime afterwards a Wizengamot is called to address the growing number of rebels. While accompanying Draco, Harry is cornered by James Potter a noble every bit as powerful as Malfoy.

Long story short Lilly and James had a fling but James’s father sent her away because he didn’t approve. James thought that both her and Harry had been killed. James offers to acknowledge Harry as his heir but Harry is happy with Malfoys and doesn’t trust James.

After returning from the Wizengamot Harry and Draco are part of a group sent to conduct a search of the Lovegood House. There they discover that Mr. Lovegood is the author of Anslem, and has been the one sheltering Hermione. Lucius Malfoy kills Mr. Lovegood on the spot and takes Hermione back to his castle intending to have her executed in front of the other servants as an example.

Harry begs Draco to talk his father into sparing Hermione but Draco refuses to help him. Harry realizes that even though Draco wants to the do the right thing he’s too much of a coward to stand up to his father. This forces Harry to realize that change won’t happen unless people fight for it.
    Harry breaks Hermione out of prison before the execution and they make their way to James who protects them from their pursuers. And that would be how I would end it.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  3. EastoftheSun

EastoftheSun Squib

A slightly cracky plot bunny that I don't know if I'll ever write:

When Sirius falls through the Veil, he falls back in time. Due to some delirious swearing, he finds himself saddled with the name "Merlin". After a few shenanigans, which involve being accidentally kidnapped by crazy muggles and having fun turning some kid named Wart into different animals in the name of teaching "life lessons," he finds out that he might, in fact, be the Merlin of history and legend.

4. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Write the first chapter and I'll beta it for you.

5. Heosphoros

Heosphoros Fourth Year

Harry Potter/Pokémon Crossover

Not sure if I post this here or the "Plot Bunny Thread: Other Fandoms", but since involves Harry Potter, here it is.

I caught up with the three latest chapters of Traveler this week and thought of a plot bunny for a Harry Potter/Pokémon crossover/fusion. I’m not sure if I would be able to write it, I’m quite lazy and take a while to write properly in English (or as close as I can get). So, to not waste the idea let me at least show what I got and see what you guys think.

For the world building I would have the wizards as trainers, naturally, but as exclusive to them. Justified by making magic a necessity to use Pokémon, this magic would probably be limited to more indirect means, since having traditional wand magic with all its versatility would be too against the poke centrist nature of the Pokémon world.

So what is the ridiculously advanced technology in the PKMN universe, here would be enchantments and what are potions in the PKMN world in the crossover would be… potions. Aside from that, it could be necessary to be a wizard to turn the otherwise beast-like Pokémon into the sapient and very intelligent beings that they appear in the anime, by means of some sort of mutual bond, kind of like the familiar one from millions of fics.

That bond between trainer and critter could also be used to give some trainers a measure of personal power. I would have Professor Dumbledore be a notoriously powerful psychic (since he has a peculiar bearded Alakazan of immense power) and Voldemort’s communion with Ghost-types allowed him to even cheat death.

Having a clear impassable line between trainer and muggle would also be a good source of tension, particularly with a certain group of elitist trainers who like to wear black.
    I’m not certain of the technology level of the muggles, I don’t want very high to not make the trainers obsolete, but neither do I want this to be “Pokémon: IN THE MIDDLE AGES!”

The society would probably be limited in raw material by since there are monsters all over the place, and the human settlements would also be small by necessity. Too many humans in one place would attract all kinds of Pokémon. Human waste would bring poison-types, power lines would suffer from the Electric-types and so on.

Hogwarts would remain as the central setting, teaching how to handle all types of PKMN as well as the previously mentioned potion making, creating instruments such pokeballs and protective spells. I would also have the entrance age be higher, mostly as a personal preference for older protagonists and because putting dangerous beasts in the hands of little brats isn’t very responsible, so 14/15 for the first years would be nice.

Students would adventure, in group of three (for security sake) in the forest, lake, surrounding mountains and caves to get their Pokémon, probably
    requiring some expansion regarding size of those areas.

The teachers would also double as gym leaders, I would like to have one for each type, but there are 18 types so perhaps two types for teacher would be better, so we can keep canon’s professors.

I haven’t decided all types for each so suggestion are very welcome; some are rather obvious, such as Grass for Sprout and Poison for Snape. I’m half temped to have Hagrid as the Dragon Master, but perhaps Fighting would be better, partially because I can’t see anyone else in this role and partially to explain his size and strength due the aforementioned bond (which I probably need a proper name).

For the actual plot I don’t have much. Starting with Voldemort, I only have his ability with Dark and Ghost Types, as a parallel to Dumbledore’s specialty with Psychic-type, means to cheat death and because evil. Team Death Rocket (name subject to change) objective would probably be in line to enslaving every nom trainer. Muggleborns would exist, but since there is a greater proximity of the muggles and wizard I think the prejudice would be more between wizards and muggles than between almost undistinguished wizards.

So, Voldemort attack Potters, Voldemort dies by mysterious reason (read: I didn’t think of one) and Harry Potter go live with the Dursleys, probably wouldn’t have the Dursleys as negligent, being a trainer is openly a position of power and status, so I can imagine Vernon being very horribly nice.
    Cue to 13-14 years later and the protagonist put his red and white hat (I mean, is either put a hat or walk around, asking for a pidgey make itself home) and goes to Hogwarts.

Initially I would take a page out of “Harry Potter: The Last Avatar” and have the four houses corresponding to the starter type; probably Water, Grass, Fire and Electric. But that would be kind off limiting, especially regarding the students specializations (in line with the game npcs and that bonding shit).
    So maybe, no Houses, they are not that important anyways. I think the Trio plus Malfoy would be interesting trainers, each with their distinctively stereotyped attitude.

Malfoy would be the dick rival who treat his Pokémon like shit and is only dangerous because daddy’s resources (rare and/or powerful Pokémon). Hermione is the know-it-all who can’t handle the pressure of the battles very well. Ron have lame Pokémon but is an okay strategist because chess and cliché. And Harry has the power of Heart.

That is pretty much what I have, not much in terms of plot to be honest. Sure is a Pokémon fanfic, so a good chunk is fighting and raising the little monsters, and I haven’t decided which Pokémon Harry (or anyone else actually) will get and since each critter is a character there is quite a lot to think.

As personal preferences:

I would ignore most of the type advantage/disadvantage system, as well as attack names and such. It always bothers me when a fanfic based on game gets so stuck in the game’s mechanics. So, yeah, no turn based fights like the anime.

Realistic Pokémon and fights with actual danger and wounds, both to Pokémon and trainers. Wild Pokémon would generally behave like animals, attacking when feeling threatened or to protect their territory, but not going super persistent predator on humanity ass.

Since there are people with magic walking around, that mysterious power could be used to explain Pokémon’s more physics defying powers, like shooting lazors and stuff. Don’t get me wrong, I like some scientific explanations to Pokémon’s ability, but I rather not have squirtle water gun being a single shot of water from the couple of gallons he got in his stomach.

So, thoughts?

6. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Interesting, but give your main trainers (harry, ron, hrrmione, malfoy) more depth. The short description you gave will be woefully two dimensional even if fully realised. Malfoy isnt an incompetent daddys boy, hermione isnt just books and cleverness, ron is more than chess, and harry should be a badass champion in the making with something against dark/ghost types (maybe an affinity for them despite this) and not just someone with the power of ' heart'.

7. Heosphoros

Heosphoros Fourth Year

I agree with what you said WiseTomato, if I write, I have all the intention of making the main character grow beyond their initial attitude, character and abilities regarding training. I just didn’t put much thought at characterization beyond their beginning and some unspecified growth. I left that to happen as I write, if it comes to that.

Harry eventually being the very best, like no one ever was, and a match to Voldemort is a given. I share the general DLP taste for competent protagonists. Not sure of which affinity will Harry have, maybe a little of each type from his main Pokémon. I prefer to, at least for the protagonist, have a varied team both for type coverage and as a parallel with Red.

8. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

I do love the idea of there being a good HP/Pokemon fusion/crossover out there, so I might as well put done here what I did when I started one a year or so ago. I wrote the prologue of it and a bunch of folk have read it already, but here's the basic idea of the world and what would happen with it. And yeah it's different than the one above, but hey here it is:

Essentially, I transplanted wizards and wizard history and all that shit into the Pokemon world and fused them together. Hogwarts in mountains north of Kanto, Ministry operating in Saffron City instead of London which doesn't exist, or whatever. Idea is that Pokemon are just essentially magical beasts. And the premise also involves making the Pokemon world a bit less like the anime/games in following those logics, and giving it as much thought as something like Game Of Champions or Regret. Pokemon are mean beasties who can cause a fuckton of damage if need be, so that humans have been able to make safe towns/cities and repel wild Pokemon with their own tamed Pokemon and then turned Pokemon battling into a competitive sport that helps fuel an entire economy, does deserve a bit of weight to it. Take that, throw in wizards.

Wizard magic would be able to affect Pokemon, but not like in an OP way. Like, in canon it takes a dozen Stunning Spells to knock out a dragon, and fanon supposes that one Killing Curse wouldn't take them out. It would make things more dynamic if Harry went up against a wild, mean-ass, Tyranitar and couldn't Stun it or Killing Curse it with no effort, and had to use magic more in the sense of creating projectiles to attack with or aiming for weak spots and using spells that'd mimic another beastie disembowelling them, essentially. And don't be a fucking moron and call it nerfing magic, because it's still goddamn amazing powers that no other human would've had. And in the early days of history wizards who had their shit together would've fought off truly wild Pokemon while other humans couldn't, and maybe the wizards would be thought of very highly for it.

But then as time goes on wizards, while useful for repelling Pokemon, get more and more persecuted by people for their powers and then as such get more blood-exclusive, as per canon. That Muggles begin to tame Pokemon is something that leads to Pokemon being used against wizards, and wizards tame them too to retaliate. But the rarity of magic and the insular nature of wizarding society means that they can't exactly fight back and kill 'em all. Numbers, man. Just as per canon, the wizards go secret with their stuff. Throw in Pokemon and nothing really changes, and they're just essentially magical creatures that the Muggles also know about and live alongside.

The big complication and what could kickstart things is the invention of the Pokeball. Muggles taming Pokemon before was like taming a lion times a million in difficulty, and it's only because Pokemon's general intelligence made them recognise if they were being treated equally that they could treat humans back equally. But when the Pokeball comes along it becomes easier to tame Pokemon. Long-time evolution of their roles, with newer Pokemon being bred to trust humans easier, less wild, less dangerous. There are still the mean wild Pokemon of course, the ones that live in places like Mt Silver being the worst of the worst, the apex predators, but the Pokeball means Pokemon get captured, and captured Pokemon can be controlled, tamed, et cetera. Pokeball leads to Pokemon battling as more of a sport than it was before (I imagine some kind of olympic stuff would've happened before it, but it would've been more risky). Everyone has Pokemon on hand.

This includes the wizards. They've always had Pokemon tamed in the same way they'd have dragons or Hippogriffs in canon, but the younger wizards adapt to the use of a Pokeball as more and more Muggleborns begin to influence. Hogwarts classes have always had a Pokemon component - Care Of Magical Creatures but for all years and such - but the Pokeball is beginning to make them more in line with the Muggles, and an upstart headmaster named Albus Dumbledore is more than happy to use them (Or his predecessors - timeline's iffy - aren't that cool with it but when Albus comes along he makes it mandatory). This pisses off the purebloods.

Purebloods pissed off = essentially, the start of the Voldemort times. Grindelwald could even be a prototype to this idea. He wants power and stuff, war occurs, and if you believe that in canon WW2 happening at the same time as Grindelwald stuff wasn't a coincidence, you could also have it in the Pokemon world that he's a leader of some evil team equivalent, and his actions leak over into the Muggle world. Muggle world has Pokemon under their thumb. Pokemon can fuck up wizards just as easily as they could fuck up Muggles. Wizards use their Pokemon too. Dead even match in a fair fight, but it's not a fair fight when Muggles have so many goddamn numbers.

And that fear is what Tom Riddle would use a platform when he starts up. Yes blood superiority and magic is might, but why not the genuine fear that everyone having Pokemon at their beck and call is bad news for an insular community that was turned against and made to live in secret centuries earlier for their powers? If wizards en masse begin to use Pokeballs, why wouldn't they start using other Muggle technology and adapt? And Voldemort doesn't like that idea. The purebloods don't like that idea. He kicks off his campaign. Uses Pokemon himself but Pokeballs. Referring back to the idea earlier of adapting Pokemon world logic a bit, it'd be logical that you can't have extremely dangerous Pokemon in safe cities hanging out aka don't unleash Charizards on the populace of Saffron City. And Pokeballs make it easy, just have them on your belt no problem! But wizards without Pokeballs having their Charizards and Snorlaxes and Steelixes and whatever fucking else rampaging alongside their magic-slinging selves when they go Muggle hunting in order to stir up fear for Voldemort's campaign? That's pretty fucking terrifying. Muggle trainers react, send out their Pokemon to fight, more destruction, more fear.

And of course there's all the other usual HP layers that can be adapted into the Pokeworld too. Voldemort still fears death and seeks to do something, so why wouldn't he hunt down Legendary Pokemon to gain their powers in some way? How close is the relationship between wizard magic and the powers Pokemon have, anyway? Prophecy, Horcruxes, do they exist? Are goblins and house elves and Dementors still around and considered Pokemon or something else? Do they bother with owls or just use Pokemon? Hoot-Hoots and Noctowls only? Shit like that. Depends if Pokemon replace normal animals, I like to say no to that, but eh, dealer's choice.

I'll also say that I imagine as Pokemon journeys become more of a thing all trainers do, travelling from town to town collecting badges for the competition, and wizards that are into the Pokeballs and stuff (So mostly Muggleborns and Muggle-sympathetic like the Weasleys) do the same thing. Not even bother with the journey aspect and probably Apparate from town to town, probably. Like it could be a thing that all Hogwarts students get a year off for a journey after their sixth year, with the option to come back for the seventh and do the NEWTs and stuff (And yes, again, adapting Pokeworld a bit it'd be healthier if the trainers were like fifteen/sixteen when heading out on solo journeys and shit). Wizards taming Pokemon might be part of one of their classes just as much as it might be for normal Pokemon trainers, just to prepare them enough while still offering other classes for other professions and whatnot. And also, if the government in canon knows of the wizard side of things, the Pokemon League Champion in this could too, and coordinates with Ministry officials to make sure wizards don't go around Confunding other Muggle trainers so they can win battles. Simple stuff like that.

Okay, with all that in mind, what's the actual story if that world is used? Anyone could go anywhere with it, but here's what I had started: for one thing, Harry is not Red or Ash Ketchum, and he's not doing a journey. Being a wizard is just the same as in canon for him, something special that leads to a whole lot of problems as his past is revealed more and more. Back in the Dursley's cupboard he would've dreamed of being a Pokemon champion and as such would have an interest in being a trainer, but the Voldemort stuff is on his plate too. Where things would take a turn from just a canon HP plot is the interest of Voldemort in Legendary Pokemon, and combining that with usual plot elements from Pokemon world, and then creating this mishmash.

I didn't go into the Pokemon themselves aspect too much, but I did have Harry's first Pokemon being a flying type (Hedwig the Noctowl, no doubt), Ron's a Sentret and Hermione's... a something I've forgotten and never wrote down. By the time of the prologue they'd been evolved a bit and they had some more Pokemon, with Ron's best being a Munchlax and Harry probably also rockin' a Luxray and a Sawsbuck/Stantler. It was written before sixth gen so yeah, but a Litleo/Pyroar would be pretty appropriate for Harry too.

In the prologue I wrote and some folk read I mentioned earlier, Harry, Ron and Hermione were on the run just like in the seventh book. Ministry is taken over by Voldemort, who is using the resources to do the Pokemon hunting and find new ways to live forever. Trainers on their journeys are vulnerable to going missing sometimes, but now with Snatchers and Death Eaters roaming the countryside of Kanto looking for Muggleborns pretending to be magic-free trainers, it's even more dangerous. At the same time, Team Rocket's operations are becoming more public and scary, so trainers who go missing are thought to be killed having stumbled onto Team Rocket work. Harry, Ron and Hermione sharpen their Pokemon skills with the occasional trainer, and end up accidentally journeying with some who discover their secret... Dun dun dun.

Everything could go either way. The idea of having Team Rocket shit happening at the same time as the wizarding war heats up is to have familiar faces being involved. Would Voldemort and Giovanni ally up in their hunt for Legendaries with both sides knowing that the other will fuck them over as soon as they get close enough? And then there's Trainer Red, currently also journeying through Kanto kicking asses and taking names, and when he gets involved with taking down Team Rocket, what if he was being confronted by wizards at the same time? How much damage could a kickass Pokemon trainer like him do to wizards and their Pokemon if determined enough? Harry himself wouldn't be in hiding forever and all kinds of crazy shit could happen. Champion Lance decides to step in, and bros it up with Harry? Harry learns extreme Pokemon battling from him and uses it and his magic against both Voldemort and Team Rocket?

Sky's the limit. My plans were to go all out with an ASOIAF-style thing, with multiple POVs. Like Harry learning tricks of both his trades - battling and wizard stuff - and politics stuff between League officials (Gym leaders included) picking sides or getting involved in general, while the wizards stretch themselves thin both fighting their own war and risking threat of outright exposure because of it. And there'd be Red or Green shifting their priorities a bit to fight evil wizards and maybe not knowing there's actually good ones. Vendettas, miscommunication, cat and mouse games, rampaging Pokemon used as weapons and some acting independently, Legendaries under control of wizards and being utilised differently than Legendaries under control of Pokemon Trainers. Microscopic examination of the Pokemon world and how the wizards slowly becoming more and more involved begins to change things. Epic quests! Harry banging your favourite hot Pokemon chicks (Cynthia amirite)! Red and Harry bro'ing up! Bring in elements from the manga, the anime, wherever.

Blend that shit. Bam. PokePotter.

9. Thyestean

Thyestean Slug Club Member

I am curious as to how the fights would go. To my mind Voldemort is a entity all unto himself. He would snatch the air from beneath a dragon and smash it to pieces. The ingenuity of magic seems too useful for someone of his level. And while pokemon are smart, magic isn't common, how would they be able to compete with something they have probably never encountered. This doesn't even take into account how much rape a wizard pokemon trainer would bring against a muggle pokemon trainer. They could double team the opponents pokemon, or if you wanted to have like a 2v2 type scenario, where the pokemon fight each other while the trainers take on each other. Actually in my mind it would be like fawkes helping Dumbledore in a fight. But against a muggle it would be devastating. Have your pokemon distract the other pokemon, then give them the good 'ole crucio-ak combo. Wouldn't even have the chance to release the other pokemon from their pokeballs. Which could be what you were going for as magic rapes muggles in the canon world too. Where only the best muggles have the chance to compete with a wizard.

Now in a world of wizard-pokemon fusion. I would think of wizards as human pokemon. Humans are more of a normal based affinity. They have the ability to use almost anything. The legendary pokemon would still be god-like entities. For example, time turners are derived from celebi's magic.

As for plot, Giovanni wants to capture and control the legendary pokemon, while I see Voldemort wanting to capture and take their power for his own. He is the type to have a derision towards power that isn't his. And Pokemon is a nature balanced world. He would be the villain to try and take nature to its very limits and rip it against the grains to subvert it for his gains. A mewtwo essentially, but Voldemort is in the combination.

It would a fascinating world if you could combine them seamlessly. The power of a wizard just seems an overwhelming advantage, except against legendaries.

10. Alexx

Alexx Card Captored and buttsecksed

Basically, just after Harry's name comes out of the Goblet of Fire, and the teachers and Champions are arguing in the little chamber, Fleur gets all snotty and says that a little boy like him has no chance of winning, and she arrogantly swears to marry him in the impossible event that he wins. Kind of backfires when he DOES win, though. By the end of the tournament, Fleur can either respect and like Harry, or still not like him. Either way, she's gotta marry him.

11. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Magical oaths are fucking retarded.

12. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Human interractions in a world where people could be known 100% to be held to their word/telling the truth just by making a promise would be completely different. It would remove all the uncertainty from relationships.

13. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Would be annoying though:

Mary: Did you put the empty milk carton back in the Fridge?

Gary: No.

Mary: Do you swear it?

Gary: By Merlins Beard, by the stars or Orion, by the Guardians of Caspian, I Gary, third son of Barry, do here by swear I did not put the empty milk carton back in the fridge.

Mary: Hmmm, must have been Jake...

14. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Let them have a significant short-term cost and people wouldn't use them for trivial things. Boom, global coordination problems solved. Not that I have any hope of wizards identifying the correct problems themselves...

15. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If the same percentage of wizards were gifted with insight and excellent logic as muggles, would it really make a big difference?

Wizards don't seem to me to have much logic, good or bad, since they never had a real Renaissance (just a guess) or Enlightenment, they're not gormless 12th century idiots like some fanon says, they've just never struck me as having either good or bad logic... I don't even know if that makes sense.

Thoughts from one of you super academics?

16. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

~ Douglas Adams

17. T3t

High Score:
    Most people in real life don't behave with anything resembling logical behavior either, to be fair. They do all sorts of silly things like believing in unfalsifiable predictions, buying homeopathic medicine/other "alternative" shit, not investing in a 401k, buying lottery tickets, voting, donating to bone-marrow transplant charities, etc.

18. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I had liked this post until the last 7 words and had prematurely thumbed it.

19. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think his point was that giving money to bone-marrow charities is stupid because what they really need is marrow.

20. T3t

High Score:
    Well, that's a secondary reason I hadn't thought of. Mostly it's because it costs those charities roughly $700k to save one person's life, while charities that distribute mosquito bedding nets save lives for roughly $2000. I'm very much for charity, especially effective charity.

Not open for further replies.