1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny Threa(t/d) IV

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Sep 1, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

So, not usually a fan of HP/Naruto crosses since 99% of the time they're just shitfics, usually "AND THEN THEY MEET AND WORK TOGETHER AND DO SHIT", but oddly enough this is a pretty fun idea. I'm guessing that you would swap back and forth the two characters each chapter? The fact that this means that you could skip over the boring canon rehash shit and then just mention what happens later on is probably a complete accident :p

2. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

A Parody/Deconstruction/Crack HP/Truman Show Crossover, where Harry was raised in a bad FanFic (complete with his best friend Draco literally wearing leather pants).

3. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You have to make all of the dialogue and relationships feel horribly forced and artificial.

4. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Maybe not that bad. It would be more like Arbitrary Magic, Harry's best friend is Draco, he's married to Hermione (who fully expects him to get pregnant), and overall everything being superficially perfect, with no problems whatsoever.

And I would include scenes from 'outside' the Fanfic, where various characters (including the 'Author') talk. For example, in the story Harry fell in love with Ginny, who was quickly expelled from the FanFic for this. She ends up with a similar role to whats-her-name from the Truman Show, complete with Harry still thinking about her.

I also want to write about Hermione and Draco talking outside of the Fic. They are by no definition of the word a couple or even friends, but they do have a mutual hatred of the Fic and only stick around for the fame and fortune.

5. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

An AU where Voldemort forced Dumbledore into Hiding and the rest of the Order was rounded up before the Prophecy was made. When hearing of the 'equal' that he will create rather than try to murder him Voldemort relishes the challenge, it follows Harry's future in a world where he knows of the prophecy, knows that eventually Voldemort will challenge him with the intention of killing him and is trained in a Hogwarts where there is no set path, no focus on Light or Dark magic but rather on power alone.

6. Reptile3607

Reptile3607 Third Year

HP/LOTR crossover, though mainly just HP.
    I don't read a pot of LOTR fics or crossovers, so I don't know if this has been done before.

When the ring is thrown into Mount Doom, the innate magic in it transports it across dimensions, as a last ditch attempt to save itself. The ring lands in the Harry Potter universe, and manages to fall directly into a five year old Harry's grasp.
    The artifact is greatly weakened by its jaunt across dimensions - but it is still very much alive.
    Basically the fic would be Harry coping with the terrible power of the ring, and the ring trying to re-create its master Sauron in this new dimension, using magic.

Alternatively, it could just be a Horcrux that falls into Harry's hands, but I wanted to mix it up a little.

Any thoughts?

7. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Nineteen years after the Battle of Hogwarts, Harry, Hermione and Ron are in the Department of Mysteries, testing a new method of time travel invented by Hermione and other Unspeakables.

Tests with inanimate objects and animals have proven successful, so the three decide to test it on themselves by going back in time a week and using said week in the past as a free vacation.

They land in the year 1977 and are stranded there for a week instead.

This isn't a big deal, they keep a low profile and make damned sure that they don't mess up anything. Even a theoretically positive change could have disastrous results and perhaps even damage time itself.

However, as the days pass by, Harry and Ron get the smart idea of trying to see what their parents were up to in these old times. Hermione goes along with this, provided they hide.

They visit the Potters and the Weasleys, with nothing bad happening.

However, when they visit the Grangers Ron accidentally knocks over a vase in their home and it shatters. For some reason this starts an argument between Hermione's parents.

Hermione explains to Harry and Ron that this was a very special vase that Hermione's mother received from her own mother and the fact that it broke could be considered a big change.

Before they can repair the vase with a quick reparo and then obliviate the muggles, the time-spell suddenly fails and the three are brought back to the present.

Except, as Harry discovers only he and Ron have appeared in the Department of Mysteries. Hermione is nowhere to be found.

Assuming that they must have been separated during their forced travel, the two look for her.

However, for some reason the Unspeakables question their presence in the Ministry.

The next thing Ron and Harry know, they're being chased by Aurors and running for their lives.

They somehow make it out of the Ministry alive and end up apparating to the Burrow, which turns out to be not there. Instead there is only an empty field with a few shattered stones lying around.

This makes them desperate and they travel around the places they know all around Britain looking for clues.

What they discover is the fact that Wizarding Britain is entirely ruled by Voldemort and has been so for the last 22 years.

A bit more research reveals the cause. It turns out that Hermione's parents split before having a child and Hermione was never born.

This started a chain of events which resulted in Voldemort returning to power during the Chamber of Secrets incident, killing Ginny Weasley in the process.

Some muggleborn students were actually killed by the basilisk, including Colin Creevey. And though the beast was eventually slain by Dumbledore, Minister Fudge refused to believe that this was the work of a returned Lord Voldemort.

Dumbledore was not returned to his position as the Headmaster, which was the worst thing the Ministry might have done.

Sirius Black never escaped from Azkaban and was killed by Death Eaters when Voldemort stormed the prison to free his followers.

While he started hunting for the Horcruxes earlier, Dumbledore died after putting on the Gaunt Ring and was not saved in time.

Harry and the members of the Order were forced into hiding after Harry's fourth year which is when Voldemort took over the ministry.

Ever since that day in the summer of 1995 the Dark Lord rules over wizarding Britain and all hope seems lost.

Until Harry and Ron arrive that is.

They can't go back in time again because Hermione was the one who invented the new method of travel. Instead they must either find someone who will help them go back in time, or they have to defeat Voldemort again.

8. Vulcan

Vulcan Groundskeeper

It could be interesting if One Ring interacts with the Horcrux in Harry's scar, or Harry turns Gollum-like, using invisibility to dispatch of the Dursleys and/or his enemies from Hogwarts.

9. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

Why didn't Hermione leave a proper documentation on her time travel research? That's what ALL proper scientists and researcher do! This whole "No Plans, No Prototype, No Backup" trope is nonsense!

10. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    In general I agree, but it's not like they would have taken the documentation with them, so unless Harry or Ron had it memorized or had a very large part in the project itself, I can let it slide for this one.

11. Corvus Black

Corvus Black Professor

Leave where? As Hermione no longer exists in the future(?) they returned to, there is no research, no notes on the method, because Hermione and the Unspeakables she worked with didn't create them. How could they? One of the butterflies of Hermione not existing is that the Unspeakables she worked with wouldn't have the faintest idea what Ron and Harry are on about, the project never came about because Hermione doesn't exist.

12. Starfox5

Starfox5 Seventh Year

No Hermione? No interest here. Also, I dislike the Back to the Future take on time travel. I prefer the "started a new timeline, multiple futures" take on it. That way they could enter a timeline where Hermione is around, but simply doesn't know them. Maybe she's the leader of the Muggleborn resistance, or whatever, and they need to find a way to return to their own timeline.

13. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Clearly also no taste.

Anyway, I like the premise (and that Hermione's parents aren't perfect, which is something seen in a lot of H/HR), but why wouldn't they just have brought the research with them? It wouldn't be hard, seeing as it's magic.

14. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

Why didn't they bring the research with them, seeing the nature of time travel being dangerous and the risk of being stranded in time always there? And why would they visit their own parents and endanger their own existence? Did the time travel research damage Hermione's brain??

15. Corvus Black

Corvus Black Professor

Well, I assume that if they did take the research notes with them that Hermione would keep hold of it, hence when Ron and Harry travel back to their own time and there's no Hermione then obviously there's no notes either as Hermione had them and she no longer exists.

As to why they visited their parents, in the simplest of terms Ron and Harry are just stupid enough to do it regardless of risk and poor Hermione is brought along for the ride.

16. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

HP/Silmarillion-ish

The Veil of Death casts souls to wherever it is we go after death, right? The Timeless Halls of Ilúvatar.

The Veil of Death was known by another name in earlier ages of the world. The Door of Night. Hidden far from the sight of Eärendil under the Ministry of Magic it lies now unprotected. Morgoth once cast through the Door by Tulkas has returned from beyond the Walls of Night and Dagor Dagorath, the Battle to end all Battles, is upon the world.

War will come upon Arda, now known as Earth and Darkness shall March against light to the End of All Things. The souls of the dead will be born again to bodies and war across the world for the fate of the universe. Morgoth, Sauron and all Morgoth's followers of old return to do battle with the Valar.

For Harry Potter, the Unspeakable charged with keeping an eye on the Veil that Thursday night, it was pretty much the worst day at work ever.

17. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

Steelbadger you may want to check out page 59 of this very thread, post# 1171 - 1183.

18. tm91

tm91 Squib

Might have been brought up before, but see below. Could be a great crackfic if handled right, the great reluctant alliance of Potter and Snape:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  19. Starfox5

Starfox5 Seventh Year

Everyone has different tastes. I am not as arrogant to assume that just because someone has a different taste than me means he has no taste.

Sadly, too many think their own taste and preferences are a criteria for the quality of a fic.

20. Vulcan

Vulcan Groundskeeper

Much to his surprise, Harry Potter finally finds a common ground with his Aunt Petunia. They both hate Severus Snape with a passion.
    -) Divergence from canon after First Year.
    -) Snape is NOT secretly a good guy.
    -) No canon pairings or slash.

Not open for further replies.