1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny Thread V2

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Antivash, Apr 20, 2011.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Does he call himself Chronos?

2. Darthgrim

Darthgrim First Year

Would you believe I have never heard that name before?

3. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    But if he stops himself from going back in time, then he can't stop himself,then you are effectively in the time-traveller loop.

4. Lungs

High Score:
    >mfw someone hasn't read the first 3 chapters of Joe's Wastelands of Time. :\

5. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's quite excusable because, quite frankly, Wastelands of Time is awful...

6. Warheart

Warheart Sixth Year

I'm gonna do you a favour and say that this idea is Bad with a capital B. Even at the hand of a very capable author, it will only be mildly interesting.

7. Lungs

High Score:
    I disagree. I'd read the shit out of that if it were written properly. (Sort of like how I read the shit out of HPBWL.)

8. El Duderino

El Duderino Groundskeeper

9. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

What is this... I don't even...

10. Darthgrim

Darthgrim First Year

How far in is 'Old man time traveler Harry' cause that's sixty chapters to read and you seem to think it's not very well done?

11. Warheart

Warheart Sixth Year

The plot as stated currently has some very big holes. For example, if Petunia disliked Lily (for argument's sake, say less then she does in canon) she wouldn't live in the same city as the Potters when they are hunted by the deadliest man alive. If Lily really cared about her sister, she wouldn't ask Petunia to stay with her because Lily should know nothing can Voldemort-proof a safe-house. Thus, any explanation given for The Dursley's presence will read like a plot device, and that's only when it's done exceptionally smoothly.

Also, if Dudley is a muggle, what exactly would he be trained in? No amount of training can teach a penguine how to fly. And I can't envision the Potters giving super-secret Ninja scrolls to Dudley. So that point is rather moot.

But in a different set of circumstances, Harry playing Dumbledore (or Merlin, take your pick) to somebody can be very entertaining at the hands of a skilled author.

12. El Duderino

I was bored once, so I read it all, despite knowing it was mediocre.

13. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

I do have the explanations for the Dursleys' staying with the Potters, though it is a bit plot device-y atm. I'm working on it.

As for Dudley being a muggle (though able to see magical creatures, more like a Squib), it's actually a plot point because he hated being dragged into the whole thing and felt useless - he had felt useless all his life because he grew up in a magical household, knowing he couldn't do what they could, that his parents were despised and murdered because of their lack of magic. How could he possibly combat a wizard, let alone the greatest Dark Lord in recent history? There was no training a muggle against Apparation, or Anti-muggle spells, or Unforgiveable curses.

Harry playing Dumbledore/Merlin to somebody - Enembee's Conlaodh's Song comes to mind - in this case, he faces enormous pressure due to what he knew had to be done, because while he felt some jealousy for Dudley (who he thought was favored by his parents instead of him), he also felt brotherly love for his cousin and the obligation to protect him.

To be prefectly honest, my original idea was "Dursleys grew to have better relations with the Potters, lived together when Voldemort learned of prophecy, they were betrayed and Dursleys were killed but their son survived to become BWL, and the whole Wizarding World goes WTF?" and ended there, leaving it ambiguous what would happen in the future.

But yeah, anyways, thanks for the feedback.

14. Warheart

Warheart Sixth Year

Oruma, if you have started working on your plot, you should consider posting it on WbA. Considering the dearth of any decent stories there lately, yours will certainly be appreciated. At the sametime, nothing can fix a shitty story like a willing author and DLP WbA. So even if your idea is half-assed, go ahead and post it anyway.

I get the feeling that this story will read much better as a character driven drama/mystery than an action fic. May be you should keep that in mind.

15. El Duderino

No, I think you're wrong. A mix of both will make this fic fucking awesome methinks, but, then again, i'm not the author.

(Do it. You know you want to)

16. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Not exactly a bunny per se, but an idea I had and am trying to incorporate currently...

In canon, characters always refer to the Wizarding World. Not the British Wizarding World, not the European Wizarding World, but the Wizarding World. Whilst this could just be casual bias (or sloppy writing), EVERYBODY does it, not just the uninformed.

So what if it that were the case - the Wizarding World is run under one government, one set of laws, and so forth. The ICW would be similar to the House of Commons, with each country electing someone to represent them in the passing of new laws, but with no power over the rest of anything. The position of Chief Warlock is run until person holding office steps down, at which point the ICW members votes for a new leader.

With a new leader, the Ministry moves. When Dumbledore was Supreme Mugwump, Britain would house the Ministry, with a new Minister elected every six years (or whenever). After this term is up, the entire adult population votes for a new Minister. Each country has its own Wizengamot and Minister of /country/, who run the judicial side of things - so trials, sentencing and so forth are all locally run, but under Global laws.

I know this might require a few changes from canon, primarily the amount of British characters in the MoM, or at least making them different nationalities, only working in Britain because that's where the Ministry is based. Also, after Dumbledore is forced to step down, but that could be the canon divergence point - suddenly, Heinrich Amsel, a German (substitute in anyone else) is the top power of the magical world. And things get worse.

Fudge, for all his blundering, was actually fairly liberal in his views, only winnign previous elections because of Dumbledore's backing.

Voldemort is now no longer such a thread - he can't force himself into position of Minister of the World by Fudge promoting him. So he becomes more dangerous - his tactics no longer are to scare the population so the administration submits, he now aims to just kill everyone not allied to his cause. And with the change of political climate, that might just be possible...

Two reasons behind the development of the idea. Firstly, I was sick of reading "America is the best and we do ALL magic because dark doesn't exist and British people are poopy-head" stories.
    Secondly, with instant travel, and magic being as powerful as it is, and wizards living as long as they do (Harry's OWL examiner also examined Dumbledore, Dumbledore himself), following the Muggle's boundaries aren't important, as resources aren't anywhere near as restricted when you have magic.

Thoughts?

17. thebrute7

thebrute7 High Inquisitor

I'd read it. Sounds fairly interesting, but would require quite a bit of world-building.

18. Mordecai

High Score:
    Sounds quite interesting. It would necessarily be too much of a stretch to have foreign wizards in the MoM in London based on canon. Too few details are given about most of the characters, so they could easily be from other countries.

I do like your idea for the ICW, it would make it a particularly uniquely powerful institution.

This idea that your suggesting would actually fit with JKRs official population for the British wizarding world. It would explain how a society could function with so few people. There is no real society, its all just as aspect of the whole worldwide society.

19. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Quick idea I had while reading a Canticle for Leibowitz.

Voldemort wants to establish himself as some kind of emperor to the wizards and wants to enslave the muggles. Instead of resorting to terrorist attacks, he decides to completely 'recreate' Earth. With various potions/imperius curse, etc. He creates a world wide war that has devastating effect (Nuclear war i.e.). It is such devastating that the muggle lose a lot of technology/science in all of this and are basically back to the middle ages.

Voldemort then appear and establish himself and the wizards as superior beings.

That's it for now.

20. Mordecai

High Score:
    I'm not really sure where you get a story in there. Certainly a decent background, world building thing. But not really a story.

Not open for further replies.