1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny Thread

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Apr 17, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

Amerision did it. And he did it well. Equal and Opposite. CBF to get the link.

Edit: Nuhuh did one also. Don't know why I didn't mention it. Catharsis.

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  2. belleradh

belleradh Murder Princess DLP Supporter

Demmit. K, was late to the game, but I'll happily watch the replay.

3. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

We've actually explored this on this site. Look at Amerision's fic.

4. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Yes, Poytin, the Matrix tattoo [or White Rabbit, if you didn't get that] had already pointed that out.

5. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

I missed when it went to page 4. And I didn't check. So sue me.

6. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Didn't Silver Aegis also do a femHarry?

7. ancientdragon14

ancientdragon14 Backtraced

Ah Harry Harrison, what a great author... I liked his eden series way better though and would rather see a crossover with that.

Although this bunny ain't bad. I'd tap it if someone wrote.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  8. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

can you link that fic? or is it just a bunny?

9. My.pie

My.pie First Year

Harry gets transported across the multiverse and gets dropped into the deepest parts of the Underdark. He lost his wand amongst the darkness, basically blind, he is terrified. Harry has to combat not only the negative psychological effect it would have on him but monsters he only thought existed in his nightmares.

Somehow or another (i have no idea) he survives for the last 10 years, always trying to find a way out into the light. His magic gives him strength and courage in order to survive all these years. He basically eats anything and everything, reduced to an animal. (his magic filters out anything poisonous or otherwise to give him nutrients he needs)

One day, Harry is found by the Jarlaxle, the leader of his band, Bregan D'aerthe. And the rest is to do with whatever you please.

As for the Blind problem -
    Intense raw emotions caused his eyes to evolve in order to be able to see in the dark.

EDIT: The main driving force behind Harry is to get home no matter the cost. This leads him to places like Myth Dannor Drannor and other hellish places. He also meets with the very famous Eleminster, the seven sisters and other caracters that isn`t so nobel.

In the end, he accends godhood and arrives home.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  10. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A one I just had as I was reading through the Horrible Stories thread, inspired by a small comment and the several X-Men crossovers I've been reading lately.

The idea was that by some method I haven't decided on, Voldemort is sent to the X-Men universe, in place of the usual (almost cliché) where Harry is the one to fall through the Veil, or whatever.

Since magic is so damn powerful compared to mutations, and because Voldemort is a complete psychopath with no compunctions against using the imperius curse to get what he wants, as well as being functionally immortal due to his horcruxes (whether they go with him or need to be recreated), he quickly takes over.

Jump forward a few years and skip along the metaphysical road and we have a somewhat more competant, Auror Harry Potter who is still tied by prophecy but has no way of killing Voldemort... Until he arrives (by the same method as Voldemort or another) in the X-Men universe too.

The main idea I had for the plot would be Harry entering a world where magic is well known and, rightly, feared by everyone human and mutant alike. Voldemort has set himself up as either the self proclaimed ruler of the world or God, depending on which character interpretation you go for. He is nigh invincible because of his magic and followers (mostly the faction of mutants who want to be on top of the food chain rather than co-exist with regular humans) and the only person able to stop him is treated with suspicion and outright hatred from the get go.

No Weapon-X for this Harry, and especially no joining the X-Men right off the bat. It seems like an originalish idea to me. Hell, you could probably pick any other fandom and do the same type of thing and it would be interesting to me.

So... Main points are:

- Voldemort is sent to Universe A (X-Men in this case) and quickly takes over due to the power of magic compared to everything else.
    - Auror Harry Potter is then sent to said universe and finds himself even more hated than the mutants (or just plain hated, depending on the fandom).
    - Harry starts off just wanting to get home but quickly realises just why everyone reacts badly to seeing a plain, old stick and settles himself to finish what was started in his own universe.

Ideas for the plot could be Voldemort finding out about another magic user appearing in this world and sending out a few of his henchmen to track down and eliminate whoever it is (teleporters would be the obvious choice), with obvious problems arising once he finds out just who it is.

Harry having trouble finding allies amongst the mutants because of the Deathly Hallows-esque nature of their rule (with most of the 'good' mutants having been killed or beaten into submission before his arrival).

Possible twist could be Harry finding an ally in Magneto rather than the traditional X-Men gang, since he is a mutant supremist rather than being anti-human. It's something I haven't seen before and could be quite enjoyable. Plus Mystique is awesome.

And I've rambled on enough and wasted 45 minutes typing this out... I may even try this at some point. I've got a train journey tomorrow and nothing to do on it, might find some time then.

11. Admonkeystrator

Admonkeystrator Seventh Year

"Voldemort" Harry whispered, knowing the taboo was active thanks to Potter Watch and as expected, two groups of snatchers apparated into the clearing.
    They looked around in a loose formation for any signs of movement or magical activity.

The plan was executed flawlessly, as Harry quickly threw himself flat on the ground while the muggleborn mages hiding in the treeline, made short work of them with the killing curse.

ambush ftw?

12. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Newest plot bunny that came to me - and one I'm putting directly into action in my most recent oneshot. Basically, the premise is that Harry keeps the Elder Wand and instead of looking for the nice 'quiet life', he becomes power-hungry. With Hermione urging him on, Harry begins to take over the wizarding world ('for the greater good') and perform some pretty sweet miracles with his newfound power. But Harry lets the power and the influence go to his head, and he begins to view himself as a bit of a wizarding superhero - and that he is entitled to anything and everything. Subsequently, his 'Mastery of Death' begins to take an ugly turn for the worse.

Meanwhile, Hermione, who has been Harry's loyal sidekick (and who has been losing the power and influence race to Harry), is starting to get jealous - particularly of the fact that Harry's taking plenty of women to bed with the exception of her (after all, Harry's got zero interest in Hermione). Jealousy turns to obsession, and after Ginny makes one last pass at Harry, she flips out. She breaks a Death Eater out of prison (circumspectly, of course) and gives him a mission to slaughter the Weaslette.

The Death Eater, however, is Augustus Rookwood, who knows about one last failsafe the Dark Lord ordered him to put in place in the Department of Mysteries, hidden from absolutely everyone. So after a bloody ambush of the Burrow that leaves the Weasleys in pieces and Harry in a bloodthirsty rage, Rookwood lures Harry to the Department and activates the failsafe... sending Harry forward in time.

New year: 2084. Humanity on Earth is poised at the brink of annihilation via space-launched nuclear missiles. Hermione, using Harry's now vast influence and power (not to mention his 'mysterious disappearance') to paint him as a 'god amongst wizards' (nice little dark parallel with early Christianity here, with a dark twist). Subsequently, the new religion rapidly goes the way of the fundamentalist sect (destroying all those who do not believe within wizarding society), before making the transition to suicide cult. The end result is that Harry arrives in a deserted London (the Muggles having fled the major cities as potential nuclear targets), only with the knowledge that the end of Earth is nigh. He only has a few days (or less) to track down Rookwood (who followed Harry forward in his own insanity) and find a way back home, all while dealing with the atrocities he committed - and those committed in his name.

The oneshot should hit this site first in a few days. Expect a first-person Harry who is bitter, cold, cruel, and a bit insane - warped by his Mastery of Death and his grief.

13. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

The problem with this sort of thing is that in order for it to work you'd have to boost magical power by orders of magnitude because it makes assumptions, like so many other crossovers, that magic is really powerful in comparison to the powers showcased in other series.

It is not.

Magic has many, many applications, but in actual fighting power it's incredibly weak compared to, I don't know, a guy who can kill you with his mind or another guy with absolute control over magnetic forces.

If I recall correctly, Voldemort's greatest canon feats were dueling evenly with Dumbledore and holding his own in a 3 vs. 1 fight in DH.

Canon battle magic is not impressive in the least, and if you're going to go with a crossover you can do way better than a small time nut job like Voldemort as a villain.

14. Paravon

Paravon Seventh Year

Magic may not be 'powerful' in the generic term, but it is ludicrously versatile. Not only can it attack in many ways, but it can protect against and negate many, many things.

15. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

If you know the spell for it, sure.

Considering that wizard battles consist of them shouting spells and waving their wands around from 10-30 feet away from one another would indicate that they suck at fighting.

It's no wonder that they hide from muggles.

I think I've gone sufficiently off topic here so I'll end by saying that super powering HP characters just so that they can survive in a crossover environment probably isn't the best basis for a story.

16. Paravon

Paravon Seventh Year

We need a Taure Signal.

17. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Received <_<

You're mixing up ideas of scale and power.

A wizard can only have power over his immediate surroundings (I'll come back to this in a moment), but within that limit, if he is sufficiently skilled (think Dumbledore or Voldemort here) he is as a God. There are very few things magic can't do.

Moreover, back to my first statement, that he can only control his immediate surroundings does not mean that his spells are weak. It does not seem to be the case that, were a wizard more powerful (whatever you want that to mean), the distance within which he can cast would increase. I would say the fact that a wizard can only affect his immediate surroundings has nothing to do with power, and more to do with something along the lines of only being able to perceive his immediate surroundings, and only being able to cast spells on that which he perceives.

Of course, with something like apparation, a wizard's immediate surroundings are wherever he wants.

So that professor Xavier can control 20 minds at once says nothing necessarily of the quality of that control, only the breadth (it turns out he has good quality control too, but it's perfectly possible to think of someone who can control many minds but with poor quality).

One can still say that Occlumency can keep him out and not break the barrier of disbelief. It's down to the author, of course, but I'm saying that there's nothing intrinsic to either system that says that Xavier's powers are necessarily greater in strength than those of Occlumency, which is your position.

The only thing that canon of the two systems necessitates is that Xavier's mind powers have a greater scope than wizarding occlumency/legilimency, which can only affect one person at a time. However, and I'm ramming this point home now, the fact that wizarding mind magic only affects one person at a time does not mean that it is weak, only limited in scope.

It's like what I said when I was defending the idea that a wizard can defend himself from a nuclear bomb. He doesn't have to fight the entire explosive force of the bomb - only the part of the bomb which would be affecting him. And, as said above, within his immediate surroundings, the skilled wizard can do pretty much anything.

Another example. A shield spell. A shield spell is limited in size. But this doesn't say anything as to the quality of that shield's strength. So you can introduce a character from another fandom who can make nations explode, but this still doesn't mean that it's necessarily going to breech a wizard's shield. It's down to how powerful the author makes the relative abilities.

In short: power =/= scope.

And then of course we have the fact that all of the above is meaningless because you're just plain wrong about the scale of wizarding magic.

It turns out wizards can in fact affect a fairly large area with their magic.

The Taboo covers the entire UK. Flitwick, in DH, was cheerfully casting protection spells without any real effort over the entirety of Hogwart's grounds. McGonagall animates every suit of armour in a castle. Harry casts a single shield which covers not himself but rather the entire great hall. Pettigrew blew up a street. Fiendfyre burnt down an entire cathedral-sized building in about 5 minutes. The Trace can track what magic is used in a wizard's surroundings, irrespective of distance.

The "limited" nature of "battle magic" which you so profess really makes sense, in that it's simply efficient. When you're in a fight with someone, why waste your efforts in making a ton of collateral damage?

Say for example, Dumbledore had done something like unleashed a tidal wave of fire at Voldemort. Voldemort is a single man. He doesn't have that much surface area. It would be just as effective to send a single bolt of fire at him, because with the tidal wave of fire, all that fire which doesn't hit Voldemort does the grand total of squat in actually helping Dumbledore.

Your desire for "epic spells" is really just a desire for pretty lights, and doesn't really have anything to do with a person being an effective fighter.

Not even going to touch this, except for telling you to remember the opening chapter of HBP. "We will arrange for the president to call you tomorrow". The wizards aren't in hiding, they're running the show <_<

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  18. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

I've found this to be apt in this instance.

19. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I didn't degrade anyone <_<

And as nice as being concise is, because it leaves out detail it opens you up to all sorts of counter objections that you then have to reply to. Far better just to give all the argumentation up front and avoid the whole tiresome business.

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  20. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

I can see that the occasional line can be interpreted as subtle digs.

That, for instance.

Maybe it's just me.

>_>

EDIT: That also has the added bonus of people giving up on replying to such an intimidating looking post. At least it would me unless I was damn sure you were wrong.

/end thread derail.

Not open for further replies.