1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny Thread

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Apr 17, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, I didn't read what Taure said so I'm immune to the thread derail. However, I did check Aekiel's and Silens' posts.

Aekiel- I do think that Voldemort taking over the human and mutant world without a major power boost is somewhat BS... however, I would read it if there was a believeable explanation for why he gets a power boost, and for why the mutants would side with him. Perhaps he pretends to be a mutant himself?

Silens - You must post this newest oneshot immediately. Harry Potter = Jesus Christ? Win.

2. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Only school kids shout their spells, nonverbal magic has existed since PS, we just didn't know what it was called.

I agree with Taure in that magic could be quite effective in battles. Wizards could conjure heavy objects and banish them toward opponent, dissolution themselves, an army could use coordinated Apperation Tactics, ETC. Not to forget the over-powered Imperious from DH, Polyjuice Potions and Transfiguration.

And to get back on topic.

Blood of an Innocent, Forcibly Taken.

Take the Graveyard ritual from GoF, replace only one word, and a competent author can create a whole new plot to work with.

3. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

Artifacts triggered by proximity to user against super fast enemies, 1000 different spells against physical enemies, various charms that negate the affects of the elements against elemental enemies, configuration against telepathic enemies [as to avoid approaching them.]

Indeed, magic is awesome. I doubt even Magneto could even scratch Voldemort. With proficiency like Voldemort's, he could probably banish all the metal projectiles before Magneto will realize what happened.

4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Banish? He could just transfigure all the metal in his environment into something else. Moreover, what's to say that a shield spell can't block magnetism? It seems to be able to block whatever type of thing it is you want it to block.

5. Grubdubdub

I was assuming it took longer to cast.

Magneto can attack from all sides though. Also, I don't see Voldemort as a defensive dueler.

6. belleradh

belleradh Murder Princess DLP Supporter

one thing to note is that it seems many are assuming both examples here, Magneto and Voldemort, would walk into a battle unaware of their opponent. For Magneto, that's extremely unlikely at least.

Also remember that some of the most powerful and pivotal characters and plots in the Marvelverse have had magic as a crux (crutch). It's magic after all. If you can do anything with it. That isn't to say Voldemort would have that kind of leverage, but you get the point.

What we do have is a very extensive body of work and reference to Magneto's abilities, motivations, and resources. For all that the HP books were at least in part about Voldemort, the breadth of information does not compare. To place them on equal ground would require a lot of invention or marginalization...

although the idea of a newly-transplanted Voldemort seeing mutants ostracise and possibly prey on the M-verse magic users would be interesting. Add another side to the war, one peopled by another man who has strong purity ideals, but with a different agenda, supremacy/survival of magicals as opposed to mutants.

7. Grubdubdub

Do you think it will be cool if instead of ruling the world, Voldemort will have a Sylar thing going on. Seems more plausible [strength wise] and it might be fun to read if you don't ruin the character like they did in Heroes.

I'm thinking about Voldemort who confuses [he's not really sane] the M world for the HP world. Have him join the academy as the equivalent of the DADA maybe, and suck a particulary juicy power. Sounds a bit meatless and pointless when I write it down, but maybe there's something in there?

8. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I don't watch Heroes. Please clarify.

9. Grubdubdub

While most Heroes [or villians] have one power, Sylar's power is understanding how things work. With that power, he can learn other powers by looking at the brains of the Heroes. While in theory awesome, they totally ruined his character after season 1.

10. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Sylar = Rogue. But instead of touching them, he has to kill them to gain their powers, I believe.

11. Grubdubdub

Also, his powers are for life, or at least until the producers feel the need to de-power him ~.~

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  12. Verse of Darkness

Verse of Darkness Denarii Host

I always wanted to see James Potter betraying the Light by having Lily Potter killed and becoming a Death Eater, which could have Voldemort raising Harry as his heir in some shape or form.

13. Grubdubdub

...It's hard not to ruin it under these circumstances, but in any case, read this.

14. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Apparation. Avada Kedavra. Imperius Curse. Cruciatus Curse. Transfiguration. Shield Charm. Legilimency/Occlumency. Horcruxes.

Voldemort is a master at almost all of these (with transfiguration being the arguable exception since Dumbledore is better). That is pretty much all he would need to take over a world that really doesn't have the power to oppose him.

Apparation means he can be in any place at any time, a very powerful if Nightcrawler is to be considered (and he only has a limited version).

Avada Kedavra. Just Avada Kedavra.

Imperius Curse is the ultimate means of controlling a person. Only those with a strong enough will can resist it and even then they tend to go insane trying to fight it.

Cruciatus Curse is a weapon of fear, pure and simple.

Transfiguration means he can make pretty much anything, which is good for those who seek material things.

The shield charm conceivably block anything the muggles/mutants try to throw at him.

Occlumency and legilimency means no mind but his own is safe, if you take occlumency as being the absolute defence of the mind from outside forces.

Horcruxes mean he can pretty much live forever, though how he would go about gaining another body is slightly problematic.

If I'm not mistaken, those are the only things Voldemort would need to take over the mutant world. The most powerful mutants in the world (Xavier, Magneto and Jean) are all countered by Voldemort's strengths and I can think of no one who could conceivably hold an advantage over him if you take some of the wide area spells into consideration.

15. belleradh

belleradh Murder Princess DLP Supporter

Yes but those arguments aside.. why? Ultimate power is ultimately boring.

Any talk of weaknesses, or counters is to give depth. If you must, make them equal. Give him a weakness. Otherwise it's just an exercise in writing one-sided fight scenes.

"Mutants vs. Voldemort, Round xxxx: Result, Voldemort wins"

The fight scenes would undoubtedly be interesting, but after 2-3, very boring.

Regardless of the power of mutants et all there, unless you restrict the universe, aren't there characters who use magic already there? Dr. Strange comes to mind immediately, but I'm far from up to date with who's died, sort of retired, and currently plotting resurrections of their own.

16. ancientdragon14

ancientdragon14 Backtraced

Actually death by starvation won't be that unpleasant initially. After two or three days the body goes into fasting mode and hunger pangs dissapear as the body eats away all the fat. This usually takes 60 to 90 days depending on the person's body of course. After that the suffering begins but the fasting process is in itself quite pleasant and relaxing as the body detoxifies and attains a purified state, which includes a greater capacity for physical movement and mental dexterity.

17. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I actually read a slightly humorous one-shot based on that premise. In it, Harry was a frequent and willing blood donor. So when he freely offered it up for the ritual, well, they AK'ed Harry and used Cedric's blood. And now I've ruined all two of the jokes in the one-shot.

As for Voldemort versus mutants... umm... I'll just let you kids get back to your convention.

18. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's why my idea was to have Harry follow along at some point, with the prologue being Voldemort's banishment and a quick summary of his rise to power (or just the allusion to it) and the rest of the story being Harry's struggle against him and his empire. Also, Voldemort has pretty much set his life goal as world domination. He's a Dark Lord, what do you expect?

Never got into the comics so anything I wrote would be movie-verse only I'm afraid. Hence the reason it's a plot bunny/challenge to other people primarily.

19. Sophie

Sophie Denarii Host

I was rather thinking of something along the lines of innocent = virgin when I read that. Harry gets screwed by Parvati after the Yule Ball in fourth year, so the ritual doesn't work. :awesome

20. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Doesn't work?

Or maybe works but goes hilariously wrong.

Not open for further replies.