1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Points of Divergence

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Skeletaure, May 10, 2013.

1. Henry Persico

Henry Persico Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Lolwut? Did you read what I wrote?

First, you pointed out Harry's submissiveness, not me. Perhaps you don't remember well, I called bullshit.

Second, "manipulating allegiances" is some crappy way to describe a very bad independent!Harry fic. Don't like that one bit. If you want to pull a House of Cards type of fic (or Damages) you can't do it with Harry, unless you have skill. Something 99% of the authors from FF.net don’t have.

2. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

You probably mean Wolf pack mentality.
    Werewolves don't exist.
    The Veil Shall Not Be Lifted
    We simply stack onto them the wolfish pack behaviour intermixed with human interaction.

How would you give Harry a pack? Form it from all his friends? Have harry infect everyone he thinks worthy? (That could actually a fun story to explore, with a werewolf attacking people, and everyone thinking that it's greyback, but it would turn out that it's harry)

It would, at best, lead to Harry that haves some wolfish-pack leanings when dealing with his family, but expecting for there to be a proper Alpha-Beta that is found in normal Wolves...

Submissive nature? What the actual fuck?

Wolf packs are families. Mother, Father, and all the cubs. When they are too old, they leave to form their own ones. If the Father is being a dick, and a cub thinks it's strong enough, he would go all rip an tear on his old man's ass.

If you are talking about a larger pack that forms naturally when there is a huge hunger, and wolves have to band together to stay alive, everyone listens to the wisest and strongest wolf, because he can get them food. If he can't they try to eat him, and he can only stay on top only because he is stronger and tougher.

It's the exact opposite of submissive. You have to be the biggest bad-ass wolf around to keep all the little shits from yapping at your every choice.

And when they find prey and enough food, they usually disperse and no one really cares if that badass wolf saved them, they've got their own kids to raise and protect.

Why do you think there are all this focus on challenging the elders in the werewolf RPG games?

3. melior

melior Seventh Year

I've read one like this, where Ginny dies and a younger Tom escapes the Chamber but stays incognito (can't remember if Harry knew), and then eventually kills the resurrected Voldemort. It's been a while, though, I can't remember the title or even if it was any good.

4. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

That sort of describes An Old and New World. It is not good in the classical sense, but it's a very good trainwreck if you're into that sort of thing.

5. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

Actually, I think he's talking about A Black Comedy by Nonjon. That's probably the most famous story that had a divergence there, although it was in an AU not a point of divergence fic.

6. melior

melior Seventh Year

Well drat, it's not either of those, but I can't seem to find it in my saved stories. All I can remember beyond what I've said is a scene where Harry tries to set up some kind of trap in a warehouse that throws people out of the room and some kind of shield can form around the podium he set up, and I think Tom shows up and convinces Harry to let him take care of Voldemort. Harry isn't even there when Tom traps Voldemort's soul in some kind of container, though at the end Harry comes to see the container and lets Tom go. I'm sure it's supposed to be a serious story, too, unlike those ones.

EDIT: Well, damn. Time for me to re-read yet another nonjon story.

Anyway, some other points of divergence from which I may have dashed off a couple quick ideas:

- Harry is expelled before fifth year
    - Most/all of Harry's friends die in the Dept. of Mysteries before the Order arrives
    - Harry accidentally kills Draco in HBP with sectumsempra

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  7. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

That is A Black Comedy.

8. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Calz did the third one, sorta...

9. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Point of divergence:

James actually got over and gave up on Lily Evans late sixth year - which is a shame for her.

Like in the normal timeline, he actually grew up and became very responsible; Lily finds herself attracted and genuinely interested in the 'new' James.

Unfortunately, when she approaches the possibility of them dating after a Head meeting in their seventh year, he shoots her down - he's entered into a relationship with someone else, and is genuinely happy.

Knowing she's missed out on something special, Lily mourns.

Skip forward a few years: Lily is a close family friend to the Potters, and 'Aunty Lily' specifically to James and this other woman's children.

She's never married or had a serious relationship, not finding a man that measured up to her standards (subconsciously based on James), and she's wistful on what could have been had she looked at James deeply earlier.

10. Brukel

Brukel Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I'm sure I've read a one shot of that. Yep I have, this one.
    It's not great and doesn't cover what happens after but a later one does I think? Not completely sure about that.

11. Cas

Cas Slug Club Member

Massive necro but I do have two points of divergence to add.

First off, for all the new H/Hr shippers. In Harry potter and the half blood prince, when Ron and Lavender first kiss after the quidditch match, and Harry goes to see Hermione in the classroom where she has conjured some birds. How about if Ron and Lavender had walked in a couple of minutes later, only to find either Harry or Hermione kissing the other one. By that I mean Harry kissing Hermione to comfort her, and Ron walking in before she can pull away, then have her confused about her feelings and who she actually fancies now she knows Harry likes her, or Hermione kissing Harry maybe out of jealousy, but then turning it into something more.

The second point of divergence is in the Deathly Hallows. Harry leaves the tent to follow Snapes patronus and Ron pulls him out of the water, but when Ron is hesitating to stab the locket and Harry sees the red gleam in his eyes, have Ron maybe attempt to stab Harry or even stab him and then have Hermione hear their shouting and come out and save him or Harry unintentionally severely injure or kill Ron whilst trying to defend himself.

12. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

Actually, I'm pretty sure that any moderately skilled author could rewrite the entire series by having the troll kill Ron, and no one would miss him...

13. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Nah, I'm fairly certain I'd rather see Hermione be killed off.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  14. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

... but then, who would do all the thinking?

15. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

But who would do all the reading and homework, you mean?

They'll manage, lord knows there's a lot of potential replacements for her, male or female. Not exact replicas of her, but they'll do.

Hell, she can still participate, can't she, in the yearly mysteries that plague Hogwarts.

Her ghost could team up with Myrtle, for all we know. They do share the propensity for running off into bathrooms and sobbing, so that's one point of common interest.

16. FreakLord

FreakLord Professor DLP Supporter

Hermione gets killed by the troll, McGonagall expels Ron.

Now, Harry can become friends with Neville and they both become super badasses. XD

17. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

Don't forget Luna! Adding that little touch of surrealism wherever she goes...

18. bakkasama

bakkasama Seventh Year

1) Draco goes to the midnight duel, either with his second or with a bunch of Slytherins to curse Harry and Ron senseless.

2)Dobby is a good elf and doesn't betray the Malfoys.

3)The secret chamber in Malfoy Mannor containing dark artifacts is found by the ministry during the summer, including Riddle's diary. Experts recognize what it is and Lucius is arrested.

4) Peter never stayed with the Weasleys.

5) Harry hits Voldemort with a killing curse on their duel in the graveyard.
    5b)Upon returning to hogwarts, his wand is checked...

6)Dumbledore does not go early for Harry's trial.

7)Dudley gets a dementor's kiss.

8)Harry doesn't save himself and Sirius and the man is kissed by a dementor. Harry decides that the world hates him.

9) In sixth year, Draco ask the room of requirement for a passage out of Hogwarts, letting the death eaters in at the beginning of the year.

10) It is Harry instead of Dumbledore who drinks the potion in the cave.

11)Albus decides to keep the cloak

12) Harry decides not to follow the half-blood prince's instructions.

13)Ron does not leave.

14)Harry doesn't see Snape's memories.

15) 19 years later, Harry feels a pang from his scar.

19. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

That business with Snape's memories has irritated me from the first moment I read it - Snape gets bitten in the neck by Nagini, and he lies there while Voldemort monologues, then while Voldemort leaves the building, while the kids wait for a decent length of time to make sure that Voldemort is really gone, then still is sufficiently coherent to pull out the memories and put them in a bottle.

As a potions master, why didn't he have several bezoars in his pockets? Snape worked on the anti-venin when Arthur Weasley got bitten - why didn't he have some in case of emergency?

20. Punt

Punt DA Member

Since they didn't just shove a bezoar down Arthur Weasley's throat I assume it takes a complex potion to cure Nagini's poison. Snape couldn't have know that Voldemort would use Nagini to kill him anyway. He probably just assumed that if Voldemort tried to kill him, he'd do it with a killing curse .That aside, he had been bitten in the fucking neck by a huge snake. Thats a lethal wound regardless of whether he used the antidote or not.