1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Fan Games

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Alindrome, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Oh.

My.

God.

It could be done. Have users as Gym Leaders, like in the tournament, give it a funny plot straight out of some crack fic, have Oz asleep in the middle of an important route.

This could totally work.

2. hgf

hgf Fourth Year

I nearly died laughing. Awesome idea.

3. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Man...that shit would be fantastic. So many places you could insert the more known DLP personalities...

4. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

It must be done.

5. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

A DLP themed game would not be as fun as a Harry Potter based-POKEMON game.

I tried making one before but that was like 3 years ago and I was like 14 so I couldn't do much except change maps.

Anyways, my suggestion,

Welcome to Hogwarts school of Pokemon Training and Breeding.

For centuries people with special abilities, which allow them to control creatures with amazing powers have lived among us in plain sight. When they turn 11 year old their training begins.

Each student receives one of four possible Pokemon to begin their training with. The final evolved forms of these Pokemon belonged to each of the founders. (The sorting hat makes this choice?)

I could go on and on.

I can already see the small little sprite, in that small little screen of a Gameboy, inside a train (like the start of Ruby). It stops. Get down of Hogsmeade. A funny Hagrid-looking sprite walks in. Walking to the school (coz I forgot that you took boats). And my sprite wanders to the entrance of forbidden forest. The text screen pops with with "???????". Hagrid rushes in and he is like "HURR DURR! You needz Pokemanz first. Come to sorting."

I am gonna shut up and go study for my calculus exam now.

6. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

No.

Go study Calculus.

7. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Coming Soon... Choose Your Path: Pokemon DLP: White Knight or Pokemon DLP: Troll Face.

Interest from anyone? Lutris and I have a group all ready, and initial plot and world setting ideas are being hammered out. Would love for this to be a big community thing. So yeah, post here if interested and have skills to bring to the table, or eager to try, and we'll go to the group or the #pokemanz IRC channel with it. Let's make it happen.

8. Lutris

We're not kidding, by the way.

We currently have Matt, Kai, and a helpful newbie named nestea at the ready to script the game. We're in dire need of artists (/me stares at Palindrome) to help us out- as Matt said, we've got the basics of the world and setting built up, but any input's great, so people interested in contributing to the plot would be awesome.

There will be DLPisms and DLP cameos everywhere, so the more the merrier. Let's do this shit, guys.

9. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

So yeah, we are serious, and in an attempt to recruit interest, here's the story teaser we have worked out so far. All things are subject to change, of course, but the basic of it is that we want to have this like an interactive fanfiction kind of thing, with the whole game thing as well, of course. But yeah, with saying that, let's go...

In both versions, you start out as a prospective trainer entering Central City (Placeholder Name), the largest economic and social city in the region of (Name Pending), and the entire region's other settlements cater to Central City with food and trade and various other enterprises. The player character shows up in Central to both watch the Pokemon League Tournament being hosted, and to get their own starter to go out into the world after the new tournament season begins after the old one ends. After getting your starter and interacting with the seedy underbelly of Central for a bit... Disaster strikes.

Legendary Pokemon attack Central City in great force, and you come to believe, you know, while you're not busy running for your life, that the Legendaries were provoked by a mysterious Team X (Name Pending). From there, the true difference in the versions becomes evident. White Knight follows the player unravelling the mystery and putting the fractured region back together. Troll Face has the player join up with Team X and, well, work towards conquering the region, provoking legendaries, starting civil wars between fractured towns, embarking on fits of gambling, prostitution, thievery and murder.

In both versions, DLP references will abound, from member cameos (Lol Oz on the road), inside jokes, shout outs to DLP's authors and stories and controversies, all wrapped in a nice little interactive game-y bow. While one version will be a somewhat serious story attempt, the other will be trolling for the sake of it, and will be the outright batshit one. We might just also make a variation that suits a Nuzlocke challenge, or just have people do Nuzlockes on either version as they go.

Questions? Thoughts? Comments? Declarations of Interest? Go nuts.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  10. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

I can help code. :>

But c'mon, you can be a lot more creative with my caameo than that. =P

11. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Sorry, Oz. It was the first thing that came to mind after naming a Munchlax after you.

12. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I support this 100%. No idea what I could contribute. since I have the artistic talent of Gardevoir's clitoris and can't do anything with code, but I'd be willing to help if anything comes up that's within my lack of talents.

And I heartily suggest you only work on one version, to increase the chances it'll actually get finished. Then again, if you're going down the interactive fiction route, I imagine the two versions will actually be different choices within the same game, rather than the Pokemon-style two games?

If this happens I will buy everyone involved a bottle of scotch laced with cocaine. :awesome

13. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

So your drawings excite pokemonfurries?

14. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    If you guys are actually serious in creating a Pokemon game, I don't mind helping out. I'm not sure what I do, but I'm here if you need me.

15. Lutris

We need you, so badly. <3

But yeah. We need an art team. I'm sending you an invite.

16. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

Ditto. My computer skills are woeful, but I'll be willing to throw in my two cents if anybody needs them. xP

Oh, and Vira. There have been some new developments in the #pokemanz IRC. A shift in the power hierarchies, if you will. xD

17. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If I had any skills that would help in creating this, I would do so immediately.

18. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

'Sup?

I've dabbled in making pokemon games before; using RPGXP I spent about 200 hours on a game and got precisely nowhere, though the coding was super easy and fun. I got nowhere because I got so obsessed with the graphics that I didn't get on with much else. After that experience, fuck if I want to work on graphics. I'm willing to do a little, like custom sprites, but don't expect me to make buildings and stuff. I really do take entirely too long on graphics, and I don't enjoy it much.

I'm a good coder, though I have no experience in ROMhacking. If you go that route, I'd love to learn. But there's an alternative - Poccil's Pokemon Starter Kit for RPGmakerXP. It's basically a foundation for making games that uses RPGXP - that makes it insanely easy to script events and put maps and the like together, swap graphics and customise the game in whatever way you'd like. I can't recommend it enough - the only drawbacks to using it in this instance is that while RPGXP has a free 30-day trial you have to buy the program after that. The other disadvantage is that you don't have the original games in it to modify, but I'd count that as an advantage in this case because you aren't just editing maps.

If you use the latter, I'm experienced with it. I will probably become fixated on graphics again, but yeah. I have a lot of tiles to use, but they tend to be heavier on scenery and not buildings/cities. I'm willing to make some sprites, but it takes me a hell of a long time.

Anyway, count me in. I'll help where I can.

I'm a little wary of this - let's try not to be too ambitious here. Also. Also. We're all totally going to be characters. :awesome This is an appropriate fueling of egos. Dibs on the the PC box creator?

19. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Sounds like :awesome

20. Lutris

Dibs granted, glad to have you on board.

/invite sent