1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Want some serious feedback about your writing? Enter the Q3 2019 Story Competition!

Topic(s): EITHER
    - What the Professors get up to in the summers.
    - Ritual Magic!

Word count: 17.5k max (no minimum)
    Deadline: September 9th
    Check out the Competition Page
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Q3 2019 Story Competition has 17 DAYS LEFT! (September 9th)

Check out the Competition Page and get writing folks!
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Fan Games

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Palindrome, Sep 4, 2011.

1. BTT

BTT First Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Played another fangame. This time, I played Phoenix Rising (thread here)

It's got all the usual conceits: new Megas, regional variants, and some other things. In terms of plot it seems fairly typical from what I've played so far: go on a journey through Hawthorne. The plot is apparently just "get to Hawthorne University". No League as far as I know, which means no Gyms.

I feel like it has to be said: This game is super pretty. Like whoah. It looks amazing. The maps are all elaborate, each town has its completely own tileset, etc. It all looks good, and there's clearly been a lot of effort put into graphical design of the region, the Pokemon, and more.

But it also tends to lag pretty badly for me. Might just be my trashpile laptop, but the devs moved from Pokemon Essentials (RPGMaker XP(?) package which most fangames are made in) to something else explicitly to avoid Essentials' issues, but I've had far less problem with Essentials games. This other engine does have the additional effect of letting you press "Z" to double or even triple battle speed, but honestly, I'd rather that button not have to be there at all. Also it doesn't remember your speed across battles, which is really a shame.

Another downside is the fact that the game is as wordy as it is pretty. It opens with a long intro of talking to an old "soothsayer", having to find his tea so he can continue rambling at you about random stuff, finding your mother to have her give you the tea leaves which results in her rambling at you about her ex-husband inviting you to come live with him at the University blah blah blah. It takes like half an hour (if you don't start clicking past the dialogue) before you finally get to choose a fucking Pokemon. It's way too much. Just let me play already, like damn.

Also, I'm not much of a fan of what's actually done with those words. There's a whole quest where a girl whose sister was lost in the spooooky woods as a kid and never found gets a Phantump. It could be handled much more subtly: the game's beating you over the head with it, even though the character herself doesn't seem to know. It's not as outright edgy as Reborn (hooooo boy, the stories I could tell) or even Insurgence, but it still took me out of it.

tl;dr: On one hand, pretty as hell. On the other, way too wordy and laggy. Can't really recommend.

2. Villanelle

Villanelle Seventh Year

High Score:
    Stopped playing after Gen III, but I did get back into Pokemon and played a few hacks over the last ten years or so, but only sporadically.

I tried Zeta/Omicron and dropped it quickly in favour of Insurgence, which was a real blast. Most of the Pokemon were absolute unknowns to me, and I've since spent an inordinate amount of time on Bulbapedia and Smogon.

Over the past few days, I've started and finished what's available of Pokemon Gaia. Beat the E4 with Azumarill, Infernape, Gengar and Jolteon.

I never put too much thought into my teams, often playing with what I thought to be strong/cool Pokemon, and would sweep through FR/LG with Charizard and Gyarados, and add on Aerodactyl, Zapdos and maybe Alakazam before the E4. So, this run-through Gaia was a lot of fun, but it got a bit too easy too quick.

The idea of having a lead PKMN setup with spikes or calm mind and baton pass had never occurred to me. While I see the appeal, I still have a preference for fast attackers and potentially a tank. I'm simple like that.

@Seratin

It's been a few months. Thoughts on Renegade Platinum?

I've heard it's the most polished of Drayano's hacks, and as such, I'm starting with Storm Silver. I haven't wrapped my head around the 3D yet, and I've spent the past few hours being indecisive about what kind of team to go for. I don't think I've been this neurotic about anything in months. So far, I've narrowed my choices down to Houndour, Flareon, Espeon, Natu, Murkrow, Spiritomb and Swablu, all of which are available rather early. Not keen on Ralts at all, as I've used it a lot in RSE and most recently in Insurgence, and besides, there's no fairy type.

3. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy Heir DLP Supporter

I'm a huge fan of all of Drayano's hacks. There's nothing too weird added in, the stat changes he employs for pokemon are balanced to each other and make most pokemon worth using, and I like the difficulty curves of them. I'm playing Renegade Platinum right now and I have games progressing in Storm Silver, Blaze Black 2, and Volt White. Monotype runs are fun - it lets me pretend to be a Tamerverse character

4. ThePinkTomato

ThePinkTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If I want to try these Drayano hacks, what programs do I need?

5. MonkeyEpoxy

6. Villanelle

Villanelle Seventh Year

High Score:
    My computer works fine for word processing and browsing, but DeSmuME lags a fair bit. Tried to Drastic on my phone on a whim, and it works surprisingly well. I've been playing Sacred Gold/Storm Silver on it, and while my hand cramps every now and then from the awkward positioning (...), it gets the job done.

There's even a speed boost option.

It's insane that DS emulation works better on my shitty Chinese phone than on my computer. I'm so behind with the times.

7. Palindrome

Palindrome A bigger, darker mark Moderator DLP Supporter

Tamerverse? That sounds like it could be interesting. Is there any good fanfiction involved? :D

8. pbluekan

pbluekan Headmaster DLP Supporter

Does anyone know any way to download the roms onto a DS? Or somehow access it’s memory? I’ve got my Pokémon 20th anniversary edition DS that I only ever use to play heart gold and the original Red version that came loaded on it.

9. MonkeyEpoxy

IIRC you have to have a flash card for it. Acekard 2 is a great one for the standard DS. I loved mine back in the day - the nintendo DS games are so tiny you can just get a 32gb microSD for the card and just have a shit ton of games.

10. Villanelle

Villanelle Seventh Year

High Score:
    Has anyone tried Pokemon Empyrean?

It's rather good, reminds me of Insurgence. At the moment, there's about 50-ish hours of gameplay and access to the first eight gyms. It reminds me a bit of Insurgence, in that there are "delta" pokemon and there's a plot beyond collecting badges. There are lots of mini sidequests that are actually interesting, like controlling a lost Ratata and having it find its way towards its owner. There's nifty little features like item crafting (egg yolk + egg shell = lucky egg), a Safari Zone for EV training and lots of new items.

The stand-out Delta so far has been an electric/flying type Tailow/Swellow.