1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by CareOtters, Nov 15, 2018.

?

What brand is your beloved Pokémon?

1. Electric rat

32.1%
  2. Irradiated cat

67.9%
  1. Palindrome

Palindrome A bigger, darker mark Moderator DLP Supporter

I was forewarned, so I named mine NUGGET.

2. Red

Red Professor

In a rare bout of self control, I have not bought the game. I dunno, it's just not worth $60 to me to play through Kanto again even with the QoL changes. Anyone that was on the fence have any thoughts?

3. EsperJones

EsperJones Headmaster

I'm giving it a pass as well. It does look better than the initial impressions, but I generally skip a few games to get batches of QoL improvements, so waiting for Gen8 next year seems like a good idea.

Red
  4. Palindrome

Palindrome A bigger, darker mark Moderator DLP Supporter

...I may have made a mistake in buying it, honestly. I've played through Kanto so many times in one way or another that I'm quite possibly a bit sick of it. The biggest draw to pokemon to me is the exploration - of new lands and new pokemon. In this game, I'm struggling to work up the will to talk to the NPCs because I already have a general idea of what they'll say about the place. Exploring has been grating because, despite the shiny new graphics, I already know exactly what I'm going to come across. I can't rely on nostalgia when I remember everything so well.

5. Gengar

Gengar Polymagus Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I could happily never get new pokemon (as in the creatures) again. I don't see pokemon as 'content' in a new game, which is why i haven't bought one in so long.

6. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Satoshi. We've known each other many years, but this is the first time you ever came to me with a remake of my favorite game (FireRed and LeafGreen being more visual and gameplay updates than remakes). I can't remember the last time that you invited me to your house for a cup of Moomoo Milk, even though your game is central to my whole childhood. But let's be frank here. You never wanted my friendship. And, uh, you were off cementing the franchise.

I understand. You found paradise in Nintendo and Game Freak, you had a good trade, you made a good living. The fans protected you and there were forums full of apologists. You didn't need a fan like me. But, now you come to me, and you say: "Lamora, here is a remake of the game you love." But you don't leave campy, DBZ-esque Mega Evolutions out (unlike Eggs, new-gen evolutions and other much preferable updates which you did exclude). You don't offer backwards compatability. You don't even bring back Junichi Masuda to make the soundtrack. Instead, you come into my house on the day my game is to be remade, and you ask me to accept this chirpy, prepubescent child as a rival to truly challenge me.

This is not a remake. This is not my game.

What have I ever done to make you treat me so disrespectfully? If you'd remade this game loyal to the original, then I would have bought a Switch and would be playing the game this very day. And if by chance an honest man like yourself should encounter critics, then they would become my enemies. And then they would fear you.

The game isn't bad. Someday, and that day may never come, I'll call upon you to do a real remake of Pokemon Yellow. But until that day - and it is not today - accept this 4 out of 5 as a gift in the memory and name of Gary 'the Goat' Oak.

In the mean time, give this to, uh, Game Shark, to be modded the way it should. I want reliable people, people who aren't going to be carried away and put some sort of Pokemon ReBurst shit in here. After all, we're trainers of taste here.

tl;dr. JK. The game looks pretty good.

7. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Order Member DLP Supporter

Bought the bundle to maximize cuteness.

Was out of town for thanksgiving when it was delivered, and then had to wait several days more to download the game as I needed to have new internet service installed because fuck Spectrum.
    Finally got to put some hours into it this past week.

I mean hours.

After figuring out the timing for excellent throws and the slight downward adjustment, I proceeded to try and abuse the catch-combo mechanic and get me a shiny Pikachu.

It took 7 hours and ~180 rejects, and a 33-streak was ruined around hour 3, when one particularly skittish rat ran after escaping 5 excellent throws. Fuck that one in particular.

I also stumbled upon a shiny Weedle around that point, but it wasn't a Pikachu and I wasn't ruining my streak for that shit so smell ya later, little worm.
    After that, I started to run after one failed catch, so they couldn't run and break my streak, the little bastards.

I decided I would leave my catch combo at 150 and get the shiny at 151, so naturally it only took 10 more before I could move on to Cerulean City.

Worth it? Debatable.
    [​IMG]

I really enjoy the game. It hits all the nostalgia buttons for me, even though I recently replayed the OG Red version on my 3DS. It's different enough, and somewhat self-aware (ten thousand light-years!) in poking fun at itself. I was enraptured by the opening cinematic and the light-hearted atmosphere that made me go :3 for 15 minutes on end. Shiny grinding aside, I've had a lot of fun relaxing and exploring familiar territory in new texture and lighting.

Fire Red, and the romhacks it spawned, was fantastic as a Gen I remake and in its own right. Let's Go is great because it strips away a lot of the dross of the JRPG genre, like random combat encounters in the overworld, and distills the unique aspects of Pokemon.

It's also refreshingly pure, with no moral ambiguity (Protagonist & friends good, Rocket bad), and unlike in Yellow, Pikachu is friendly from the start instead of mimicking the origins with Ash in the anime. Even the rival is wholesome and nice, whom I named Douché to my great dismay, and Gary "Smell You Later" Motherfucking Oak is at worst, a bit smug and condescending.

Admittedly I've become more of a casual gamer as of late, so I enjoy the lack of difficulty and don't mind the game holding my hand through its progression. Pokemon Y and its elite 4 was a significant challenge in part because I didn't recognize half the shit that was coming at me and thus didn't know type advantages, and Gen 3 had the fucking shitwaffle Mach Bike puzzles. In comparison, the simplicity of Let's Go has yet to present me with anything tedious or unfun that I didn't opt into.

Tl;dr: Pokemon Go did its job and made me buy throw my money at Nintendo. WP Niantic.

8. Red

Red Professor

Like a true ethicist, I bought the game preowned from gamestop so I could return it for a full refund in 7 days. I played, it's lovely looking, good QoL changes but I got bored after Surge. Pikachu was OP, I like the pokemon following you and the pokemon in overworld is a neat touch. Its lovely, but ultimately I'm glad I didn't purchase the game because I'm tired of Kanto. Looking forward to the new mainline game.

9. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

So, I know I'm behind the times a bit, but I just got this a few days ago.

I love the combo stuff. I have a shiny bulbasaur with nearly perfect IV's and more than 200 in every stat at lvl 7. That's bananas. But at the same time, it was a lot of work to get that, so I don't feel like I'm cheesing the game.