1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Delos, May 7, 2014.

1. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Truth. Truth has come, and all the Hoenn haters can suck a slong.

2. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Hugplx, did you like Pokemon Conquest?

Anyway, I'll be one of those that buys every main (read not pinball or mystery dungeon) handheld with a huge smile, so... stay mad I guess.

3. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Conquest was a funny little idea, but this series needs its Ocarina of Time.

It'll never happen, they don't like making billions.

That game would sell WiiUs more than Kart and Smash combined.

4. MonkeyEpoxy

I think the best that can be hoped for is one of the prototypical handhelds being made for a console, and I still don't have much hopes for it.. They could do so much with a console version. Include so much fucking content. SOOOO much. And it would be gorgeous.

I don't think there will be a pokemon game that breaks the mold (mold being, start journey, catch pokemon, train pokemon, fight gyms, fight E4) for a while.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  5. Gengar

High Score:
    Not until someone competent takes over at Nintendo.

The games sell around 10-20m each time they release.

You telling me every 18-35 year old gamer wouldn't buy a console to play a 'mold breaking' pokemon game?

The fact it sells so much now goes to show how beloved the franchise is. The numbers would still double for a 'OoT pokemon'.

6. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Probably not the gen I would have most preferred a remake of. Hoenn is bleh. I'll prolly still end up buying because I'm a sucker though.

7. MonkeyEpoxy

Meh, they're going in order. Know what the next remake will be? Diamond and Pearl.

8. Solomon

Solomon Heir

The numbers would not double for an "OoT Pokemon." What would that even be?

For that matter, why would it sell more than the already outrageously huge numbers Pokemon regularly sells with its current formula? Do you realize how much 20 million units is in the video game industry?

9. Gengar

High Score:
    I think x/y sold 14m to date.

You think a 3D pokemon with massive, beautiful, explorable landscapes and a much more in depth hunting/ catching system couldn't sell 30m?

Mario Kart did. It might have sold more.

10. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Mario Kart was also a Wii game.

Also, no, I don't think a 3D Pokemon with all of those things would sell any better than it currently does, because it's already selling extremely well.

11. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

You also have to consiser how much more expensive it would be to make such a game. Nintendo has had over a decade of experience making the core pokemon games, and have no doubt gotten their creation down to a science. What you're looking for would be something completely new, for both us and them. And I really don't think it would be the crushing success you're claiming it would.

Now, is that to say that it wouldn't be a fun game? No. But I disagree that it would be the smart choice, financially, for Nintendo. (Also gen 3 is my favorite, so I have no objections here).

12. Gengar

High Score:
    So the pokemon games are cost effective and safe, with the fundamental game not changing for ten years.

There isn't even an attempt at a decent story in any.

The more we argue the point, the more I hate what the franchise has become.

I wouldn't be the only one. Not even close.

So do i think Nintendo having balls and going big with their most popular franchise would be a smashing success? Fuck yes it would.

The only reason you're arguing is because you think I'm saying ditch the current games. I'm not.
    Are you saying every pokemon fan in the world wouldn't buy that game? I'm disillusioned, and I would. In a heartbeat.

I remind you that OG red/blue/green/yellow sold 50 million as an unknown franchise.

It's been almost 20 years since then.

So, again, do I think going big would be gangbusters on WiiU?

Yes, yes i do.

13. Solomon

Solomon Heir

It seriously would not. I'm sorry, but the series is already selling gangbusters. 14 million is a huge number of units. Very, very few games even approach sales numbers that large.

I'm not arguing against it because it would change the formula, I'm arguing against it because you're delusional. You know what would actually happen if they tried to change the formula on a dead console?

The game would sell appropriate numbers compared to the number of WiiUs out there. What this means is pretty simple: compared to its current sales numbers, the game would tank.

E: Keep in mind, Nintendo games have long tails. They sell well initially, then continue to sell well over the years - which absolutely happened with Pokemon Red/Blue, and will definitely happen with Pokemon X/Y, which has been out for less than a year. This is also the reason why Nintendo games don't drop in price like other games do; because they don't need to!

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  14. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

No, they wouldn't, because a great deal of them (myself included) would have to drop hundreds of dollars on top of the cost of the game to buy a WiiU. I've owned every single core Pokemon game at one point or another, and I've been with the franchise for almost a decade now. I fuckin' love Pokemon.

But no, I wouldn't drop over 300 dollars on a single game. That's ridiculous.

15. Gengar

High Score:
    So you're saying you wouldn't buy it?

On another note, would you have bought your 3ds if it didn't, and would never, have pokemon?

16. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Yes. I bought it for Shin Megami Tensei 4 and Fire Emblem. Pokemon is a game that I expect to be there, but even if it wasn't I still would have bought my 3DS.

17. Gengar

High Score:
    The wiiu has other, fantastic games...

Just like that pokemon machine you've already dropped a couple hundred on.

18. Solomon

Solomon Heir

The WiiU has jack fucking shit for games. It's a goddamn desert of a system. If I counted all the games on that system I'm even remotely interested in - which is most of their good games! - it would be single fucking digits.

And I bought my 3DS for less than $150. We're talking half the price of a WiiU for a system I can travel with and has the side benefit of its games generally being a good $20 cheaper than console titles.

19. Gengar

High Score:
    You got your 3DS after the price drop, don't you worry. WiiU will be getting it's own soon.

You wouldn't buy a WiiU to play Kart, 3D world, smash, DK, shovel knight, monster hunter etc for $200? Shit, you could get that now if you go to ebay. Either way, this has gone off topic and is pointless.

20. pidl

pidl Groundskeeper

To me, Conquest could have been a hundred times better by just giving your pokemon more than one attack. Why couldn't they have made it so that on evolution you learn a new attack, but keep the old one.

This would've made much more sense regarding dual-types.