1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Sword and Shield (Gen 8)

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Seratin, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hello ladies

IMG_20191117_201118.jpg

I'd have a much better pose and angle for the card, but need to show off my threads lol.

2. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    [​IMG]

3. Hymnsicality

Hymnsicality Seventh Year

A few thoughts:

1. The Pseudo Legendary looks phenomenal, no idea if he's competitive viable though.

2. I've come to the realisation that the wild area is literally just pokemon go. Raid battles with star levels indicating difficulty that have an irregular schedule and location density. All of this while fighting giant versions of pokemon with a group of strangers or friends. Not entirely sure how I feel about this. On one hand I'm one of the numbnuts that still plays and likes pokemon go, on the other hand it just feels kinda lazy putting the mechanics and aesthetics directly in a main line game.

3. Exp sharing is a good quality of life improvement but magikarp 100% shouldn't be in the early stages alongside it. Gyarados trivialises every gym battle and it's super easy to get with exp share on.

4. Gigantimax Lapras is the greatest evolution of all time.

5. I wish the cities were bigger, some of them feel like cardboard cutouts with a lot going on in the background but not much to actually interact with.

All in all, it's a fun game with a lot of good stuff but also a lot of valid criticisms.

Also @Seratin, the issue wasn't GF reusing models, the issue was GF using the excuse of having to create models from scratch to explain Dexit and then notifying everyone except japan about the cuts. There was something pretty disingenuous about the whole thing which then blew up alongside a lot of other stuff like the 50% price mark up, the relatively poor graphics compared to similar jrpgs on the switch (DQ, FE3H), the fact they cut every starter except charizard, the inability to bring pokemon into Sw&Sh from Pokemon Home making it function more like a PokePrison etc.

4. Gengar

High Score:
    This game has its problems, but there's no way it looks worse than FE3H, but yeah, definitely wish the cities were bigger... some of them aren't even as big as some pokemon centers of old...

5. Hymnsicality

Hymnsicality Seventh Year

Also the new fossil pokemon are hideous.

6. Gengar

High Score:
    I got my Jolly Eevee and Ponyta fucking. About to start pumping out Jolly Ponyta and putting them up for mystery trade...

Maybe I'll get an Alolan Vulpix...

7. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Is there some particular reason you would want a jolly ponyta? Of all the fire type pokemon, I can say that i've heard very little about Ponyta over the years. I think the new version has different typing too though...

8. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    How else are you going to get Pinkie Pie in your party?

9. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Game is so visually unappealing that it's hard to get into the actual gameplay

10. Gengar

High Score:
    IVs. Jolly is -sp atk +spd. It's a physical 'sweeper.' New version is psychic/ fairy type, and there's a steel type move in the game it can learn too, gives it perfect coverage.

It's a bit boring though. I just like the way its mane glows when it attacks.

Should be noted that natures don't matter at all post game, but you don't get ponyta until middle-late game. I'm sure many will want one with perfect IVs early.

Also, deleting the need to EV farm is nice.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I'm... so confused by this.

If you mean the new Pokemon, man, I feel you.

But the world? It's too small, and the Wild area is a little uninspired, but it looks pretty...

Esp the Fairy gym place.

11. fire

fire Order Member

Given the poor reviews and the need to get a switch over my existing 3DS, this is a hard pass from me. Wake me up when they do a multiregion epic crossover.

12. Gengar

High Score:
    Lol, enjoy your eternal slumber Sleeping Beauty

13. Cjonbloodletter

Cjonbloodletter Professor

IMG_20191118_191506.jpg Though my Rapidash and my Lapris deserve honorable mentions. Phalanx my Falinks was an Absolute Unit who just could not be stopped. Might be my favorite Pokemon of this gen, he looks like a whole bunch of Kirby characters just snuck into the game or like a kid friendly version of the Phalanx demon from Demon Souls.

I actually beat this the day before yesterday but I was to busy dicking around trying to catch Dreepys, Dittos, Corsolas, and what ever gigantomax Pokemon I can find. 5 star raids are hard when the AIs send in trash to help you and players won't sign up with you. I got bodied twice by a five star Vileplume even when I was using my brand new super ultra special Charizard. And God knows the I can't ever join someone else's raids like 3/4ths of the time because the online portions can be garbage.

So overall I liked the game. I coulda done with out the always on expshare, but so can most of the fan base. I liked the Pokemon designs and some of the gym challenges were interesting. The story was pretty much just a standard Pokemon game story, but that's what I play the game for anyways. I actually do like the max forms (totally haven't been dicking around with giant Pokemon in my bad unpublished fan fiction for years) and I like that almost all the town's had walls pretty much saying that giant Pokemon invasions definitely used to be a legitimate threat. I liked a lot of the characters, though they did get a little omnipresent at times. I even liked Hop, though initially he annoyed The shit outta me but then as I continued to absolutely crush all of his hopes and dreams I started to feel bad for the guy. Like a abused retarded puppy.

The online stuff could be implemented so much better, but Nintendo has always kinda failed pretty hard at that. Trading/ battling with people could be streamlined more, I wouldn't say no to being able to just click on my friends list and just go from there rather than having to either trade with some rando or have to do some unsophisticated thing with the (admittedly neat) league reading cards. Also online stuff can mess with the frame rate a bit, but honestly Nintendo online is like that in a lot of games.

14. Gengar

High Score:
  15. Cjonbloodletter

Cjonbloodletter Professor

77244195_1428254557351194_2349631265948303360_o.jpg
    Thought this was an interesting fact.

Edit: Also I just found out that Mimikyu has been nerfed and it makes me sad

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  16. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Galarian Weezing is perhaps the greatest thing ever created.

17. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I caved, and bought a switch.

Runerigus is great, although the evolution mechanic is weird, and I tripped it by accident. I'm only on three badges, but I've spent around 12 hours in the wilds, which I'm loving.

For anyone in the later game - is there any way to change the throwing animations, or is that another lost feature?

Also, whilst hunting in the wild, my first Cufant encounter had weird sparkles. I checked it out afterwards, and it's the new square-shiny. So I'm glad I caught that.

Final question (for now) - I've seen that for the Gigantomax pokemon, these are 5* raid rewards. Does that mean there's no way for my existing Coalossal to become even more giant?

18. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

There's a difference between Dynamaxing and Gigantamaxing. You can Dynamax anything if the battle conditions allow it. However - some pokemon have a special skin and a unique ability when they dynamax, which is called Gigantamax.

If you're asking whether you can turn it into one, alas no. They can't be bred either. Apparently they're not allowed in competitive PvP anyhow, if that's your jam. I'm getting them casually for Battle Tower and fun, but prioritising building an actual team.

19. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Done. Leon went down a bit easier than expected. Coalossal put in work in the last half of the battle.

20. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Finished it a few days ago. Disappointed in the lack of any post-game content. The battle tower is pretty useless, there's nothing challenging or innovative about it.

Can't even really muster up the motivation to fill the Dex.