1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Sword and Shield (Gen 8)

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Seratin, Feb 27, 2019.

1. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Giant Pokemon ("Dynamaxing") is apparently the gimmick of this gen. Might have done away with random encounters and instead have open-world roaming enemies.

Several new Pokemon have been revealed, including "Gossifleur", "Drednaw", "Wooloo", "Corviknight"...

There's also raids.

Legendaries are Zacian (wolf with sword) and Zamazenta (same wolf, wearing shield).

Release date: November 15th, 2019.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  2. Dresden11

Dresden11 Fifth Year

There will be both random encounters and overworld pokemon. It looked like the overworld pokemon would only appear in the 'wild' area. Since they specified that name, then I assume it won't be the entire region like that.

The new pokemon look great. Definitely like the sword wolf better than shield.

Dynamax looks... interesting. Though it doesn't seem like it will play that huge of a role in regular gameplay. As far as they revealed, it didn't seem like you can just dynamax against random trainers. Only gyms and Raids though more might be revealed later to change that.

Overall, it looks really amazing. The art style and graphics are so much better than anything we have seen before.

3. Cjonbloodletter

Cjonbloodletter Professor

Gonna Dynamax Tyranitaur and destroy Tokyo. I'm just happy Jigglypuff's final smash is finally canon.

I like Wooloo, it's so fluffy. Four player raid bosses actually sound pretty fun, and the wild area reminds me of BotW which is what I wanted from pokemon.

Definitely getting Sif... Zacian, I mean Zacian.

4. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So lighthouse Dragonite is finally canon?

(and Gengar/Alakazam iirc)

5. Oment

Oment The Betrayer DLP Supporter

And Jigglypuff. (Twice over - in anime and in Smash, as Cjonbloodletter mentioned.) Plus a host of others - Skarmory, Gulpin come to mind from the Advanced Generation era...

6. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

[​IMG]

7. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

So everything about this is getting me hyped as fuck.

Switch Mini (with just the handheld part) when, Nintendo??

8. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

The Legendaries look uggo. Sif should have looked more like Sif and the Shield Wolf is goofy as fuck. Dynamaxing is eh. The open fields are cool.

9. BTT

High Score:
    Important difference between Pokemon Home and Pokemon Bank: Bank allowed you to trade Pokemon that didn't exist in USUM to USUM, while Home won't let you do the same to SwSh. In other words, if it's not in Galar already it's not going to get into Galar.

10. Jarsha

Jarsha Seventh Year

Makes me a little worried about the less popular pokemon. I suppose they'll either add them in later in a patch, or with the way things have been the last few years, as a DLC that costs half again as much as the base game does. But I want to hope.

11. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And if this translation is to be believed, that isn't changing for future gens either. Fucking hell. I was straight up pissed off they removed the Hall of Fame in SuMo but I tolerated it and the horrible hand-holding all game. But SwSh+ pulling this may have permanently dented my enthusiasm.

Fuck.

12. Cjonbloodletter

Cjonbloodletter Professor

Still enthusiastic, especially with the electric corgi confirmed, but I am a little disappointed that several mons are getting cut. I mean sure I tend to forget that several pokemon exist (why hallo thar Dunsparce), but I still like to have the option of using them.

13. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I feel incredibly neutral about this news. Sure, I'm one of those people with a livingdex and it's a bit of a shame to have to leave the collection behind, but this has always felt rather inevitable to me. They've been backing themselves into a corner with the number of pokemon to support: at some point, it's either stop adding so many pokemon each gen, or let the quality suffer.

I'm one of those freaks of nature that only want to use the new pokemon each generation, though, so I don't think I'll ever truly understand all the hate Gamefreak is getting for this.

14. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Honestly, I don't get the furor at all. The whole point of new Pokemon games is... new Pokemon. Bringing old pokemon over kinda defeats the purpose.

15. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

I think the way it was done with Sun and Moon was optimal, bank was not open for the first few months, so you could play with the new 'mons and stuff, but then afterwards people could bring their old favorites back.

I for one am very sad about this, I've kept quite a collection of shinies, event mythics and Pokemon with moves no longer available in newest generations, and I'd like to still use them...

16. BTT

High Score:
    I use Pokemon from the generation too, but, like... I know people who caught a Pokemon in RSE who've carried it, or that Pokemon's descendants, with them on every game since. Now they've basically been told to get fucked. I personally got a legit shiny from the wild in USUM for the very first time, and learning that I might not be able to take Bushy 'Do the Shiftree-to-be with me because it's not popular enough or whatever stings. The only place I can send it without buying another 3DS or meeting up with a friend is Home, which might as well be called Prison.

I might've not been so disgruntled if not for the fact that I'm certain every single Kanto mon will get in no questions asked, because lord knows GameFreak loves to pander to genwunners.

17. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

Ya, good luck to the people whose favorite 'mon is some less popular Gen 5 Pokemon that is never getting another game :/

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    HMM
  18. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

I seem to be one of the few actually happy about limited access to earlier gen Pokemon. I find it changes up the PvP meta.

19. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

Possible, provided that it actually removes any significant amount of OU big boys.

20. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I can see the whole lot added in with a patch at a later date. Wait, this is pokemon.

I can see the whole lot being added in the sequel games next year.