1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Sword and Shield (Gen 8)

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Seratin, Feb 27, 2019.

1. FlyingOctopus

FlyingOctopus Third Year

I'll probaply pick up a second-hand copy of one of the games a month after release or so if the game turns out to be more of same, as it usually is. Not going to buy it when it comes out though, the thing that got me the most hyped about the game since the starters were revealed was the Gal. Ponyta stream/reveal. Hype might be too big a word though.

Guess they have a month to surprise me but I'm not holding my breath.

2. Cjonbloodletter

Cjonbloodletter Professor

I betcha Team Rocket's Meowth will get the Long Cat transformation in the show.

3. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Must... maintain... optimism.

They're just trying to lower our expectations so that when the teasers for other new content comes out everyone will be overjoyed, right guys? Right? Hahah. Phew.

I like the new gigantamax designs so far (aside from the inevitable gen 1 pandering) but I have the same problem with this stuff as with mega-evolutions: if it's not permanent I'm not interested. I like to see my pokemon grow and develop from tiny weak babies to ultra swole casserole, but the temporary transformations don't give me that same sense of progression as evolution. It's like jumping a step, I dunno. And going through the animations/dialogue for it every single fucking time is so obnoxious. Does anyone else feel like that or is it just me?

4. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

GROOKEY EVOLVES INTO A GIANT GORILLA WITH A TREE STUMP DRUM THIS IS NOT A DRILL

[​IMG]

5. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Haha, guess I'm maining grass type this time around.

6. Cjonbloodletter

Whoops accidentally put this in the picture thread.

So, all the leaks that popped out today make me glad that I was on team scorbunny from the start. I still like all the other evos, but scorbunny definitely won in my own humble opinion.

All mono types was definitely an interesting choice this time around.

7. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I've looked at the leaks. Shit Pokemon as far as the eye can see.

8. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

^Something said about every gen since time immemorial.

The only one I have any real disgust towards is Impidimp. Sobble's final evo was meh, but it has grown on me. That motherfucker is sassy looking. Perrsurrker and the firey centipede are sick as fuck looking. Even the bleached-pollutioncaused-coral Corsola is cool

The twitterleaker https://twitter.com/LeaksPokemon
    I'm still not sold on the whole Gigantamax thing, and wish they'd just keep mega-evolution, but meh

look at this badassmotherfucker! IT'S GOT A PROPELLER

[​IMG]

Roalycoly evolves into this beastly rhydon looking coal seam fire badass

[​IMG]

If most of these are #fakeleaks I will be horrifically disappointed.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  9. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My gut reaction was to hate impidimp too but when looking at him and his evolved forms and reasoning why they're in the game, they actually make sense.

Britain and Ireland are all about fairies, trolls, goblins and imps. Its typing of Fairy/Dark is cool and perfectly fits the theme of its Evo line. Honestly if Impidimp was a creature from Harry Potter it would get less hate.

10. Cjonbloodletter

Definitely a your mileage may vary situation. I've liked pretty close to every Pokemon shown, I even liked Impipimp when I thought he was a one stage gremlin going around and destroying things in the background.

11. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

So, it seems the game is going to have 400 pokemon + couple mythicals maybe on top of that. Massive cuts to old mainstays considering you can't transfer anything outside of the regional dex into the game.

The wild area graphics look like shit for home console game in 2019, and according to leaks, there is like 2 hours of post-game content and a battle tower, which is pretty abysmal.

That is going to be a no for me, unless GF changes their ways completely and decides to implement patches to the game. Might grab it from a used game bin in the future, but not paying GF anything for creating this low effort garbage when the expectation for more expensive home console game would be a big leap in quality and content.

12. Seratin

High Score:
    There's runours that Sword and Shield will be the first games featuring DLC so I wouldn't be surprised to see GF expand the Pokédex with further updates during a post game like Delta episode.

Yeah you can argue we should have it all now but at some point you have to sit back and remember that Game Devs are businesses and shrug. Least there's no lootboxes.

13. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

Yeah, but I'd expect to get something for my 60€ originally, not just an empty husk waiting for DLC.

I would also be more OK with DLC if it was communicated by GameFreak beforehand clearly and honestly. They are acting pretty shady about all this, what with the original "announcement" of removing ability to transfer mons coming as an ending comment on a video that they knew had low viewership, or refusing to tell the fans anything about the coming "Pokemon Home" except that it is coming at some point.

14. Seratin

High Score:
    I will admit to being slightly disappointed with the graphics shown so far but it's their first project with Unreal 4 so I'm willing to give them a pass for now. Expecting big improvements for gen 9 though.

15. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

I actually love a lot of the leaked designs (Runerigus is an instant favourite), but everything I've seen of the actual game world looks so bland and ugly that I probably won't be buying this when I pick up a Switch later this year. I'm thinking I might try to get back into online battling though - like 90% of Pokemon in Smogon's Overused Tier have been cut, so playing a metagame of the new National Dex should be pretty wild.

16. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

Just prepare for endless Ferrothorn and Toxapex.

17. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Impidimp is just gypsy Dobby.

Obviously canon. Is this not a HP forum? Catch up fellas.

18. Cjonbloodletter

Master has given Dobby his pokeball! Dobby is free!

19. Seratin

High Score:
    Screw. You. Guys.

D8z8zmDWwAATyx4.png

20. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So for someone who has never played pokemon...is this a good game to get introduced to it?