1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Tournament Gen 5: First Look

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Lutris, Mar 7, 2011.

1. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

Right now, I'm in Arizona, and am not able to get to my teams. I'll be back home by Thursday, though.

2. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Was it a surprise trip or did you just not bother to inform Lutris?

3. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Vira... lost? Oh sweet Arceus. Kang, ready when you are.

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just got completely raped by pdo91 and his damned trollmons. >_>

5. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Update.

[​IMG]

mknote's due back soon, so hopefully he and Vash can get going. We're waiting on you guys.

/leers at mknote

Battles for Round 2 that need fighting:

pdo91 vs. ALB

winner of (Vash vs. mknote) vs. Grubdubdub

Matt vs. Kang

Let's get crackin'. :3

6. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

No QB face allowed!

Get out!

7. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

Out of curiousity, what did the losers use so far? That would be a telling way of what could just be garbage or less useful than expected.

8. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

I have no problem posting my team if Lutris doesn't mind.

9. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

^ Same here.

10. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Hey, reveal all your teams. I just don't want things to be unfair.

If you've already lost, there's no harm in it. If you screw yourselves over by showing your teams when you've not lost yet though, then I'll just let you dig your own grave.

11. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Excellent! Then let's begin.

[​IMG]

Derpfish.

This guy really surprised me by being a little trolling machine. His water and electric attacks gave him a good means to do some damage, with the aim being to cling on until low health. When in low health, I'd yawn to force a switch and then pain split my way to full health again. Rinse and repeat.

I was mostly lucky against Kaidash's team with him, doing a lot of damage, but against Oz I didn't get in the yawn switch properly - Oz used a stall healer, which I just continuously leeched off until one of us was killed.

Derpfish turned out to be a really good lead - resilient and useful. Though maybe that was too much luck on my part. He's a cute bugger, though. I can see you all are already jealous of him. D:

[​IMG]
    Reuiniclus.

This little guy is a damn bro, especially against Oz and the inevitable stealth rock that everyone likes to employ. Magic guard means no damage from anything that isn't an attack, including the life orb I had equipped; bad news for Oz, especially when it got down to our last pokemon being this awesome dude and a staller that could only use toxic.

I used trick room where I could, which was a good set-up for my escavalier when needed. But escavalier was pretty plain in my play so far - powerful, yes, but also quick to go and didn't run into many things it was super effective against.

Back to reuniclus: he was pretty much the weight of my team, with fantastic special attack and fantastic health - not to mention the ability to recover, which made him an absolute beast to overcome. When he fell too quickly against kaidash, the rest of my team crumpled.

[​IMG]
    Chandelure.

Useful; it has an awesome ability in Shadow Tag, and it's non-DW options are tempting too. Unfortunately, I derped and put a choice item on it, thinking that shadow tag would let me control the opponent enough to reduce the impact of only being able to use one move.

In my second match against kaidash, it's probably why I lost. I had the advantage to what he'd switched in, a move that could have taken out his pokemon. But I couldn't use it. The moment I switched, both my remaining pokemon fell, taking heavy damage from his attacks.

;__;

[​IMG]
    Hydreigon.

This guy. Disappointing. He was taken out, in all cases, far too quickly, and was pretty unmemorable in my team.

The one thing I don't regret was putting surf on him - which I didn't think was worth it at first.

Hydreigon was sad because I was expecting so much more out of him, and he just didn't deliver.

My other two pokemon, escavalier and snorlax, got in some good hits between them but were ultimately plain. If I could, I'd have changed the snorlax to a starmie - ice beam, rapid spin; yeah. Wish I'd gone for starmie.

12. Oz

[​IMG]

Hippowdon (M) @ Rowap Berry
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Slack Off
    - Earthquake
    - Toxic

Hippowdon was a great lead. The sandstorm effect and stealth rock were great for wearing down switch-ins, and it was usually pretty easy to toxic stall the first Pokemon he encountered, maybe the second if I got lucky. Unfortunately he seemed to be a crithax magnet and fortune worked against him every match, lawl.

[​IMG]

Chandelure (M) @ Wise Glasses
    Trait: Shadow Tag
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Flamethrower
    - Shadow Ball
    - Calm Mind
    - Substitute

Chandelure's special attack is crazy, and the wise glasses give it a nice boost without locking him into a single move. Shadow tag's a nice ability to trap a Pokemon with him and if you can get the Calm Mind in then troll away. I was disappointed he had no sleep-causing moves, because Dream Eater is wasted on him. Overall, he performed well, but I could have used him better.

[​IMG]

Ferrothorn (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
    - Gyro Ball
    - Power Whip
    - Explosion
    - Spikes

Ferrothorn has some pretty crazy defences and it's typing is awesome, but overall he was pretty disappointing. Palindrom didn't give me a chance to use him properly. :(
    [​IMG]

Scrafty (M) @ Chesto Berry
    Trait: Shed Skin
    EVs: 252 HP / 8 Atk / 248 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Bulk Up
    - Drain Punch
    - Crunch
    - Rest

Scrafty's pretty boss but was also a victim of crithaxing. Served as a good counter to Palindrome's Snorlax and Reuiniclus. Never got a chance to use the Rest + chesto berry combo which basically meant a bonus life for him.

[​IMG]

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Overcoat
    EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 204 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Substitute
    - Toxic
    - Roost
    - Protect

The absolute star of my team, I think Mandibuzz managed to stall 3 of Palindrome's pokemon to death. Unfortunately he was worse than useless against Reuiniclus. I'd probably change Protect for Brave Bird next time.
    [​IMG]

Accelgor (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sticky Hold
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Focus Blast
    - U-turn
    - Facade
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Accelgor did well too. He's a glass cannon, but his speed complements U-Turn greatly, and Hidden Power Ice turned out to be very useful in the end.

13. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sandstorm Team ftw! Too bad I was Kai's first victim hahaha.

Careful Hippowdon w/Lefties
    Sand Stream
    -EQ
    -Roar
    -Stealth Rock
    -Slack Off

Awesome lead, Roaring some mon's into SR was always fun, unfortunately there was always something faster so he'd get taken down in no time if the opponent had a type advantage.

Adamant Scizor w/ Choice Band
    Technician
    -Pursuit
    -Superpower
    -Bullet Punch
    -U-turn

Kind of dissapointed with this one, wasn't the almighty revenge killer I'd come to know and love. He had his moments but too many Steel resists for my liking, not to mention being outsped :/

Sassy Ferrothorn w/ Big Root
    Iron Barbs
    -Power Whip
    -Leech Seed
    -Gyro Ball
    -Thunder Wave

This guy provided some epic lulz against Kai, really enjoyed stalling with him. Unfortunately anything LS resistant/Fire Sweeper absolutely wrecked him.

Adamant Excadrill w/ Expert Belt
    Sand Rush
    -EQ
    -Rock Slide
    -Swords Dance
    -X-Scissor

Ugh. So much potential that I completely misused. Ev's were 252 At /252 Def / 4 Speed. With the speedboost I was getting from Sandstorm I didn't think I could be outsped. Bad assumption. Looking back 54 Def / 204 Speed would have been more Viable, give me time to get off a SD without being double hit.

Jolly Krookodile w/ Dragon Fang
    Moxie
    -EQ
    -Crunch
    -Outrage
    -Knock Down

Very hit or miss, as is any Moxie-mon. Let him snowball and you'll never recover. Cripple him early, he's useless. Knock Down was a great choice for obvious reasons and Outrage was a good dragon counter even without the STAB.

Modest Reuniclus w/ Life Orb :awesome
    MAGIC GUARD!!!!
    -Psyshock
    -Shadow Ball
    -Focus Blast
    -Thunder wave

MVP. Magic Guard is the shit hahaha. Psyshock destroys Special walls, shadow ball for great coverage and Focus Blast for them Dark Types. Only disappointment with this little guy were the couple big misses I had with Focus Blast. But what can you do?

Looking back at the team as a whole SS's got a ton of potential now, especially with Reuniclus in the mix. The lack of a Spinner on my team as well as the lack of Toxic for water starters kind of shot me in the foot. I've found Scizor to be far less of a threat this Gen, with the sweepers + resists but we'll see how the Smogon Tiers shape up.

14. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

I used Scizor some on the smogon PO server. He's pretty great still imo, but he needs both stealth rock and spikes support to do more than just revenge killing.

Also, I don't really think a slightly more bulky excadrill is worth it at all, as with CS certain things can still outspeed him and get a 1hko, but if you go with max or near max speed nothing with CS can 1 hit you (actually, deoxys-speed might manage a 1-hit, but it was banned for this) so you're a much bigger threat with a swords dance behind you.

15. mknote

I'm back and ready for Vash.

16. Oz

17. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Come at me, Bro!

18. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Did Vash just regard mknote as his Bro?

Reality just doesn't make sense any more. D:

19. mknote

Well, to be perfectly blunt, I slaughtered Vash, 2-0. Still, a decent enough start, though I doubt future matches will be as quick. I believe I now face Grub, right?

20. Atomic Lightning-bug

Atomic Lightning-bug Second Year DLP Supporter

pdo91 and I had our battle. A glorious conflagration that seared my soul, propelling both of us to glory.

The first battle hinged on a single misclick, followed by a fortunate Ominous Wind that allowed me to sweep by with only a few casualties.

But that would sit well with pdo, whose Ninetales wrought unholy vengeance upon me. Not a single one of my team could stand to its might.

Our final battle proved to be it's undoing. Ninetale's Drought would not save it from Jellicent's Surf, and simultaneously allowed Volcarona to set the rest on the competition alight.

Well played all around, pdo91. Our starters determined this match-up. KaiDASH and I have agreed to tomorrow night for our match.