1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Tournament Gen 5: First Look

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Lutris, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Formal update, now that Round 1 is completely over. Outstanding match notifications have been sent. You guys have 48 hours.

[​IMG]

Oddly enough, ALL of the 1st Round winners are on the lower half of their matchups.

>_>

2. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Matt silver any time after I post this.

ANY FUCKING TIME, BREH.

3. Atomic Lightning-bug

Atomic Lightning-bug Second Year DLP Supporter

...and kaiDASH sends me on my way, 2-1. A really close battle. And proof of how much a pain in the ass paralysis really is ._. Congrats.

4. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

Just a short rundown on how the matches against ALB went

First game ALB got 3 boosts on his jellicent via ominous wind (10% chance) and swept with it @_@

Second game my conkledurr busted a hole straight through his team and let me get a win.

Third game was much much closer than the previous two. I was scared for a little when his mothra got a +1 boost from silver wind, but luckily hydro pump didn't let me down and I killed it.

5. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

I'm online for the next ten hours or so - give or take - and will be on IRC the entire time. So whenever you're on next, just jump in, nickalert me, and we'll get it out of the way before Lutris murders us.

Congrats to KaiDash for nabbing one of the final spots.

EDIT: Kang won 2-1. No surprise there, but I was very proud of my Cradily in the second match (The one I won). But his Gyarados won out the other two times. Fucking thing.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  6. Kang

Beat mattsilver 2-1. He has some mad stalling skills and cradily is a cunt.

7. Lutris

[​IMG]

So, congratulations to kaiDASH for being the first finalist of this tournament, and for officially being counted out of the Loser's Tournament.

Ahem.

Everybody who's lost a match is now eligible to compete in the LOSER'S TOURNAMENT.

The rules are simple.

You keep your teams from this tournament, including items- but there's a catch. Three catches, actually.

1. All of your pokemon MUST be lowered to their LOWEST base evolutions and forms.
    2. One of your pokemon must be replaced with a Zorua.
    3. One of your pokemon must be replaced with a Ditto (it must take the place of a non-gen5 pokemon, should you have one).

For example, for a team with Venusaur, Audino, Excadrill, Scrafty, Kingdra, and Ferrothorn, you could now have: Ditto, Audino, Zorua, Scraggy, Horsea, and Ferroseed.

Simple, right? It's also incredibly lulzy as Zorua's Ability, Illusion, allows it to mimic another pokemon in your team until it gets hit with an attack. Added to the fact that Ditto can transform...

Lulz. Will. Be. Had.

All Losers are already listed and signed up into a bracket. If you don't want to participate, PM me or let me know via the thread.

8. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Holy fuck, Lutris. o__o

This will be goddamn awesome.

9. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I didn't think you'd actually go through with it, Lutris. XD

10. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

Beat mknote 2-0. Seems like it's me against Kang - bring it on, bitch. D:

11. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Loser's Tourney sounds lulzy. Let's just hope Cradily's cunt-stalling tactic carries on to Lileep then. :3

Oh, and Grub? Kill that Gyarados. Kill it good.

12. Grubdubdub

2-0 Grubdubdub vs. Kang, my toughest opponent yet. His Gyarados, though intimidating, was swiftly taken out the first round. Second round he took out my biggest Gyara-counter, though I still managed to block him. Matt, you'd be proud.

So it seems it me against KaiDASH in the finals - you better bring it. D:

13. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

So Kang gets to use Magikarp in the loser tourny? Have fun with that.

14. Kang

[​IMG]
    U MAD?

15. KaiDASH

Grubdubdub 2-0'd me.

Couldn't break his chansey (dam evo stone)

16. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub vs. KaiDASH - the game of the century. Luckily, my stall strategy has proven to be just as good as any offensive team: 2-0 for the Grub :)

Will add my team analyses later...

---------- Post automerged at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

So here's my team:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    For those who haven't faced it, this is my tournament winning team. :)

Ferrothorn, Jellicent, Zapdos and Chansey are the core of the team, with Chandelure and Conkeldurr are there for revenge-killing and beating opposing stall-teams.

The idea is a simple one: Switch-in appropriate counter, set-up hazards/pass status, deal with the switch in. From experience, this core can deal with all pokemon except one, which I'll cover later.

---

[​IMG]
    Ferrothorn (Neville) @ Shed Shell
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    Nature: Relaxed
    EV Distribution: HP 252/Def 48/S.Def 208
    -Power Whip (/Gyro Ball)
    -Leech Seed
    -Spikes
    -Protect

Standard Ferrothorn set. Set-up spikes if possible, Leech Seed as only form of recovering HP, Protect for scouting and recovering free HP with Leech Seed.

I chose Power Whip over Gyro Ball as it offers me better synergy with the rest of my team, and I'm not very worried from Dragon-types what with Chansey blocking almost all of them. Shed Shell is used to escape Chandelure Switch-ins.

In retrospect, should have gone with Stealth Rock over Spikes, but it's not a big deal.

Weaknesses:
    Fighting - Jellicent, Zapdos, Chandelure
    Fire - Jellicent, Chandelure

[​IMG]

Burungeru (Dumbledore) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Water Absorb
    Nature: Calm
    EV Distribution: HP 252/Def 172/Spd 84
    -Boil Over
    -Taunt
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Recover

It might be a bit cheap, but it's effective. The Jellicent+Ferrothorn Combo resist or immune to all types except Ground - Zapdos is there for that, though.

I chose to go with a mixed-defensive Jelli, as I have Chansey for the S.Def front. Boil Over is the preferred STAB for it's 30% burn rate that helps Jellicent's lower Def stat. Taunt to avoid set-uppers, Will-o-Wisp to cripple offensive threats. Recover for Durability.

Cursed Body is an interesting ability for Jellicent, allowing him to recover damage until the opponent STAB/SE attack is disabled. Water Absorb works well with Chandelure though. Still, Cursed Body is probably the preferred ability.

Leftovers is important on Jellicent as he manages to avoid many important 2HKOs with it, allowing him to survive long enough to recover.

Weaknesses:
    Dark - Conkeldurr, Ferrothorn
    Electric - Zapdos, Ferrothorn
    Grass - Ferrothorn, Zapdos
    Ghost - Chansey, Ferrothorn

[​IMG]
    Chansey (Hermione) @ Evolite
    Ability: Natural Cure
    Nature: Bold
    EV Distribution: HP 252/Def 252/S.Def 4
    -Wish
    -Protect
    -Seismic Toss
    -Toxic

This is the star of my team, really. It can sweep 6-0 if the opponent is unprepared for this defensive beast. For those unfamiliar with Evolite, it's an item that increases the user's Def and S.Def stats by %50, provided they can evolve. This gives Chansey 704HP, 180 Def and 400 S.Def (!!!).

Toxic all non-steel types, Seismic Toss to take down substitues, Wish+Protect for healing and team support.

This Chansey can take a hit from just about everyone and is a credible threat to most teams.

Weaknesses:
    Fighting - Jellicent, Zapdos, Chandelure

[​IMG]
    Zapdos (Harry) @ Wise Glasses
    Ability: Lightningrod (DW ability)
    Nature: Timid
    EV Distribution: HP 192/Def 64/Spd 252
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Substitute
    -Roost

One of my favorite pokemon and an old friend. I had to bring him to this tournament. Zapdos didn't gain much this gain, except for an awesome new DW ability - Lightningrod. This ability not only makes him immune to Electric attacks (including thunder wave and the annoying Volt Change), it actually boosts his already impressive S.Att!

I went for a Stall Zapdos, which in retrospect might have been a bad idea, as it doesn't use Lightningrod to it's fullest effect. In any case, immunity to both Electric and Ground attacks is highly attractive, add that he is covers most Water-type Pokemon I have trouble with and you have a winner.

Thunderbolt + Hidden Power Ice makes for excellent coverage, Substitute to avoid Toxic, Roost for healing damage as well as confusing the enemy.

Rock: Ferrothorn, Conkeldurr
    Ice: Jellicent, Chandelure

[​IMG]
    Chandelure (Sirius) @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Shadow Tag (DW ability)
    Nature: Timid
    EV Distribution: HP 4/Spd 252/S.Att 252
    -Overheat
    -Shadow Ball
    -Energy Ball
    -Hidden Power (Fighting)

This is the best way to use Chandelure, imo. Choice Scarf + Shadow Tag makes Chandelure one of the best revenge killers in the game, though he still has many other uses.

The four attacks listed allow for excellent coverage, OHKO or 2HKO most pokemon. Psychic is an option, but I'm not that afraid of Conkeldurr, and it has little coverage.

Chandelure is so important for this team because if one of my core pokemon falls, especially Chansey, I'll have a big hole in my Defense. Although all of my walls and tanks are mixed defensively, they might get swept by a strong set-upper. Chandelure is there to swiftly take out those threats.

Weaknesses:
    Dark - Conkeldurr, Ferrothorn
    Water: Ferrothorn, Jellicent
    Ghost - Chansey, Ferrothorn
    Rock: Ferrothorn, Conkeldurr
    Ground: Zapdos

[​IMG]
    Conkeldurr (Hagrid) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Guts
    Nature: Brave
    EV Distribution: HP 120/Att 252/S.Def 136
    -Drain Punch
    -Mach Punch
    -Payback
    -Bulk Up

The tank of the group. Conkeldurr hits, and it hits hard. This beast stops Stall teams like nothing else, it punches holes through offensive teams and is an all around ass-kicker.

EVs are designed so Conkeldurr will be able to take a hit, and retaliate like nothing else. Fighting/Dark allows for excellent coverage, bulk up when possible (Chansey). Drain Punch heals some of the LO damage, Mach punch counters Excadrill and is the priority move of the team, basically.

My biggest regret in the whole team is Life Orb. While it is usually recommended on offensive pokemon, it hurts Conkeldurr survivability - which is too bad. I'd rather have Leftovers, but because of Item Clause I'd settle for Fighting Jewel (one time use, increases Fighting move power by %50), which would allow me to OHKO Excadrill.

Guts is wasted on this guy, as only Jellicent is scared of status. It does, however, alleviate the risk of being burned.

Weaknesses:

Flying: Zapdos
    Psychic: Ferrothorn

The biggest threat to this team, amusingly enough, is Toxicroak. Fighting attack scares away Chansey and Ferrothorn, Substitute+Dry Skin+Sucker Punch disables Jellicent, Fighting+Dark resistance is bad for Conkeldurr, and Rock Slide 2HKOs Zapdos. Chandelure is, I think, OHKO'd by Sucker Punch.

Toxicroak is uncommon as fuck, though, so I don't really care... :rolleyes:

---

The best thing about this tournament was that everybody (that I faced, at least) used gen V pokemon as they should, and didn't just upgrade their 4th gen team.

The biggest letdown was that there were no weather teams.

All in all, it was loads of fun, and I hope there's going to be another tournament/league (which I hope I can be a GL in :))...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  17. KaiDASH

A set up CM sweeper with 101 subs would give your team heaps of trouble too, as your only significant physical attacker is Conkeldurr. Although I very very rarely see them now.

Rain teams once they break through jellyfish are tough for you too.

18. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Man... So much thought put into that team, Grub. It makes me feel like a really average player in general, just sticking with the basic ideas others have used this gen - special wall Jellicent, choice scarfing Chandlelure, Sandstorm set-up Excadrill et cetera - and throwing in Ol' Reliable Cradily for extra support. I know came in late and all, but yeesh. No excuse, really.

Well... at least there's always the loser's tourney. BRING IT.

Well... we kinda had to what with the rules and all, but I will admit to Cradily being able use Storm Drain as an ability, like a boss, certainly helped things a few times. That was an upgrade to me.

19. Kang

Good on you Grubdubdub! I can now say I lost to the eventual winner >.>

I'll post my team later.

20. Lutris

Ahem.

CONGRATULATIONS TO:
    <Grubdubdub>
    Gen 5 First Look CHAMPION!!!

[​IMG]

Yay! Thank god for the PYP thread. (Also, suit and furry slippers. :awesome)

Now, the Loser's Tournament bracket:

[​IMG]

Congrats to Matt and Vira for lucking out and getting the seed spots >_> I shuffled like 5 times, no joke.

Submit your teams to me pronto.