1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Politics and War: A political nation simulator

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by CrackedMind, Apr 18, 2014.

1. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

If you've played Project Terra or Cybernations (or any of the hundred variations that I'm sure exist), then Politics and War may be up your alley.

Information on the game for newcomers
    Politics and War is a text-based political nation simulator. You get to create your own nation, build it up, raid other nations, trade resources that you produce for cash/other resources, etc. While the gameplay itself can be fun, the better aspect of the game is the politics. In-game we can form alliances, which is a collection of multiple nations. These alliances are much like what you would expect from an organization, as their is a self-formed leadership. The only aspect of alliances that is coded in-game is the ability to form an alliance, who the founder puts into govt, and what color sphere/continent they are located on.

(How many nations are on one color gives you a bonus in your income, and your continent decides what resources you get. I don't think the admin has coded anything as a bonus for having the same continent as your alliance, but you only get your color bonus if you have the same color as your alliance)

The rest is community-based. Alliances are all vying for the top dog position, so ententes and blocs are formed frequently between alliances to increase their political sphere or to destroy an upstart alliance or the current top dog.
    Alliances also form colonies on other colors, to get their color bonus. Most of the rules that Cybernations put in place due to the community exploiting them, haven't and won't be put into place here. So it's kind of the wild west right now, with stronger alliances forcing viceroys onto enemies, initiating coups, spying, etc. It's a helluvah lot of fun.

DLP's alliance
    A lot of DLP members formed an alliance known as The Seven Kingdoms (ASoIaF all the way), with the rest of our membership being players from PT or CN. We have the most Nation Strength (size per nation in our alliance, military strength) out of all of the top 10 alliances, but we're sitting at #4 in the rankings because we don't have the member size to compete. We're also facing an encirclement; the strongest alliance in terms of military strength and numbers, VoC, doesn't seem to much like us and vice versa. They have three times our members, two colonies, and have the second strongest alliance tied with what amounts to a Mutual Defense Pact.

So war is on the horizon, and while we have allies, we need members badly. There has also been discussion on forming a colony or two, just to counteract VoC's influence. SK has 24 members as of now, and I want to bring us up to 60+. While the game is in beta, no reset will happen until the full release (while nominally in june, it keeps getting pushed back). While I would love for you all to be very active, I'll take what I can get. So if you can visit SK's forums once a day or every two days, put in some effort with your nation, and declare war on nations when we ask you to, I'll be happy. DLP, you're my only hope.

Links Needed
    SK's forums
    Politics and War website
    Our Irc is #sk on coldfront

Initial information for nations
    1)Make sure your nation is located in either North America or Africa (their resources are where our alliance is most lacking in production)
    2) Make sure your nation is an Autocracy
    3) Make sure your nation color is Yellow (they may have you on beige initially, so just change it to yellow first chance you're able to)
    4) Make sure your nation is Capitalist
    5) Optional: Set your flag to SK's
    6) Make sure you joined Seven Kingdoms in-game.
    7) Send a message to CrackedMind in-game saying you're from DLP, and I'll send a builder's guide and cash to get you started. Try not to buy anything initially, until you get the guide.

2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Okay, I'll do it but don't count on me being particularly active. I've got a bunch of other things I'm doing that take up time, but I'm willing to devote some of it to thise.

3. CrackedMind

Thank you, Aekiel. And then there were 25.

4. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I'll try my hand at this game. Just signed up and sent you a PM CrackedMind

5. CrackedMind

Awesome. I'm a little bit in the hole right now, so I'm just copy pasta'ing the guide. But fuck yeah for joining, Basilisk.

---------- Post automerged 04-19-2014 at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was 04-18-2014 at 10:34 PM ----------

Blatant whoring of this thread aside, I really can't stress enough how great the community of SK can be. Right now we're in a bit of a spring hibernation in terms of activity due to Spring Break/Finals/AP exams/etc, but we always have a solid core of people on IRC. We've kind of stuck together through at least three games (PT, PN, and now P&W), and I've known a lot of them for 3+ years.

I can say with certainty that I'm a significantly better spoken and (slightly) more mature person because of SK's community (A lot of thanks have to go to Mordecai and Tenages, who forced me to adapt and put up with far too much of my bullshit). The community is filled with intelligent people that force you to at least become able to hide your stupidity; they're done it to more people than just me.

So if you were a member of SK during our Project Terra days and left because of the game's demise/resets, you're more than welcome to join us in P&W where the admin consistently makes additions to the game without resets and does implement popular suggestions from the forum.

If you've played CN, I think you'll like this game for the community-driven Admin as well.

6. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It helps that half of the members started out on DLP. The core of intellectualism probably has its roots right here.