1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Possible AU PlotLine ***SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Amerision, Sep 23, 2006.

1. razz

razz Seventh Year

Wow. This is really fantastic.

I don't think the Remus issue is so bad at all. I never felt that Harry was particularly close to Remus anyway - even in canon Remus is a shitty Unlce, IMO.

The Memory Charm - you could foreshadow that to have been on his mind before the incident with Lockhart. So, when the opportunity has finally arisen, Harry's specifically keen to utilize it. For example, within the first few chapters Harry could have thought - 'Damn, if only I knew a memory charm I could --- .'

Personally, I don't much like Hermione. The Spends-His-Life-Alone-In-The-Library issue could be glossed over with Harry acting more like he does in Amerision's other wonderful fic, where he's not exactly close with anyone, but friends with everyone. It could all be Harry's carefully conceived facade, an act of friendliness he projects so that no-one's suspicious.

This is just too good to waste. Amerision ... I really hope you find someone. And if not, I do hope you'll give it a go yourself.

Best of luck to anyone out there considering it.

2. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

And won't Dumbledore get suspicious that Fawkes doesn't like Harry?

Also, the idea about Hermione learning the Dark Arts is very good.

3. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Big problem...Remus would not have been hired if Sirius hadn't escaped. IT was not a coincidence that when one of his good friends from school escaped, Remus HAPPENED to teach DADA.

Canon and logic dictate that 1.) Sirius escapes, then 2.) Albus hires Remus, because, who know Sirius better?

That said, Remus isn't key to your story, so...Get a new DADA. 3rd year in general seems weakest though. I say, Have Sirius SEE Harry at the funeral picture. HE escapes STILL in 3rd year. Harry is going back in time and is bonding with Hermione while simultaneously growing darker.

The other thing is that Harry is getting darker right under Albus's nose in this. I don't buy it. Albus KNOWS what goes on in that school. He would NEVER let Harry continue to get dark, ESPECIALLY after Tom Riddle when he was a teacher. Now as Headmaster, with far more power, and the knowledge of the prophecy, you can bet your booty that he wouldn't let it escalate to the level you're letting it.

Harry doing random obliviations? Making weekly trips to the restricted section to learn exceptionally dark magic? I don't see Albus letting it happen. THose are some of the first plot holes I see.

4. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

Why is everyone assuming Harry is "Going Dark" in his third year? Or fourth year?

He's not getting evil in those two years, he just wants revenge against Sirius.

I'm also under the assumption that there are very little to no Dark Arts Books in the Restricted Section. Any that exist are very basic. Why would Dumbledore put them there in easy reach? There are probably dangerous spells, and quite painful ones too, but there is not going to be anything that's going to get you sentences in Azkaban.

Most of the curses that Harry learns in the Restricted Section would not be zOMG grade either.

And I think you mistook the part about obliviations. Harry isn't obliviating left and right. Only when he's about to get caught, or is in danger of being discovered. I'm thinking about having him guilt over it either, not being able to face Hermione for days after she gets obliviated when she finds out. At most, she gets wiped once or twice.

I do hope whoever will write this won't have DarkRuthlessNoConscienceSlytherin!Harry right from the start. It's a process to be cold, and Harry has to suffer much guilt and anguish before he can become anything cold and ruthless.

As for Dumbledore not letting Harry go dark: take a look at canon. Then look again. Dumbledore doesn't do much to protect Hogwarts, let alone pick out evil people. I won't buy that he's stupid, so it must be that he simply isn't omniscient.

If he was, there would be no Slytherin House. Sadly, however, he believes the best of everyone - something I want to fully exploit in the story.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2006
  5. Kiklo

Kiklo Seventh Year

Thank You. I never pictured Hogwarts, a school for kids, containing books on Dark Arts that are in reach of children's hands. If Dumbledore wanted to have those books stay out of the reach of kids, then he could just put them in his study or a vault. Having Dark Art books in the library is just an easy way for Harry to learn dark magic, imo.

I like this idea, someone should take this up. It contains great potential.

Good luck to whoever takes this up.

6. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I would think that the restricted section would contain theory books, with very little practical, for use by 7th years who need to learn very advanced things for disertations or something like that. It would have theoretical texts on numerous subjects, but i doubt much more than that.

7. bloodmage

bloodmage Backtraced

It's a good idea. How will it end?