1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Post-Agenting Publishing Process

Discussion in 'Original Fiction Discussion' started by fire, Nov 13, 2020.

1. fire

fire Order Member

I recently got agented for my novel, and we're in the process of approaching publishing houses and discussing editorial decisions and so on.

Any advice here from the older hands/published authors on what the whole process will be like going forward, and how painful it'll be?

2. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

I have no advice, but wanted to say congrats :') Landing an agent is a notoriously hellish process. I'm very happy for you!

3. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Not necessarily painful, so long as you’re willing to listen to the editors when your manuscript gets to that stage (which is a great stage to be at, as it means the book has sold). All criticism and edits are in aid of supporting your book—but do remember that once you’ve sold it to the publisher, it is now also their book.

Even the cleanest page of your manuscript is going to have edits made to it, stylistic or otherwise. There will always be something. In my experience, there are edits the publisher will compromise on, and edits they won’t. Ninety-nine times out of a hundred, the editor is right and trusting them will yield a better product.

The one main piece of advice I have is this: You’re only as good as your next book.

Publishing is a business, and unless you become a success in the league of Rothuss/Rowling/any big name, the publisher will drop you as soon as you stop producing the goods. You’re only as good as you’re next book. I learnt this the hard way.

Should you want to make writing a career, you better be writing. These days for every book I have out on submission I try and have two different manuscripts in my back pocket. It’s a tough rule, but I try and always be two books ahead. My goal one day is to have five fully written manuscripts for every one story that actually gets published. Breathing room.

4. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Just wanted to say congrats too. Any hints on what your novel will be about?

5. fire

fire Order Member

Thanks all for the kind words, and much appreciated, @Joe, for the helpful advice.

@darklordmike It's a speculative/social sci-fi thriller, and the tldr pitch is:

6. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well done @fire, its a fantastic achievement even to land an agent!