1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pottermore Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Another Empty Frame, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

It's pink...

I reckon she'll use most of the q&a's she's already answered for the beginning and just put them on there... or information she had written down, but never actually put into the books for whatever reasons.

2. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The latter would be interesting, perhaps even awesome.

She repeatedly demonstrated she had written down a lot of stuff, not just lists of students, but also background information on characters, plot devices, locations. It might help to clear some questions, and it would indeed expand the HP-verse.

3. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    All it's gonna do is introduce more plotholes. I'm not looking forward to it.

4. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Is their a known release date for the site to be properly up? Or is it just a "coming soon" thing?

5. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

6 days 18 hours and 15 minutes from the time of this post.

6. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

The fact that there's an open submission window right now really hurts your point.

But yeah. Starwars EU is so goddamned terrible that it's damn near impossible to put its level of terrible-ness into words.

Warhammer EU works because, for the most part, GW tries to keep shitty authors from fucking up the entire universe. Aside from the occasional issue with titan size and the occasional ultra-terrible author (*cough*goto*cough*) their quality-control is pretty effective too.

7. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

I think this'll be really legit. Dead serious, I'm kinda excited about something helping the HP 'verse continue, despite the upcoming final movie.

This will hopefully generate some decent filler until I get exclusive rights to an online animated HP miniseries....

GinnyWasn'tReallyUgly.Com
    ~Coming Soon~

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  8. knuckz

knuckz Seventh Year

I'm guessing it'll be that encyclopedia that she was planning on releasing. It was supposed to have information on a lot of things, like, for example, the process taken to create a horcrux.

9. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

The trademark "pottermore" was registered with this "info":

http://www.trademarkia.com/pottermore-77788415.html

And here are some graphics, I don't know if they are from an early version of pottermore, but it seems quite possible.

http://harrypotterreviews.wordpress.com/2011/06/15/pottermore-preview/

Looks like a marketing gadget pimped up by the lexicon and some other bonus material.

10. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

I really hope that those aren't real screens, but you never know...

11. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If it is effectively a forum, DLP should join en masse and attempt to direct the tone of the site.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  12. Portus

Portus Heir

I agree, if only because of this:

[​IMG]

^ This appears to say the site/JKR will sanction fanfics, and a cursory glance at FFN will leave you with little doubt about the direction the average fanfic "writer" will go...

Left unchecked, this new site will be overrun by gay!Harry, gay!Snape, gay!Voldemort - pretty much gay!everyone.

So yeah, if this is the case, DLP will be obligated to at the very least link the visitors to DLP. You need look no further than the fucktards posting comments on the linked page to see what we're dealing with.

13. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

I also agree, but don't troll the site with our normal lingo. It'll be a pointless effort if we're all banned from the get-go -___-

14. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

I would anticipate that submitted fiction would be held to some sort of 'canon-compliant only' limitation. Whether they'll have a competent team of moderators to handle that task seems optimistic, but as it will be an official site, some standards would be expected.

Can you imagine the disclaimer?
    "We are happy to accept your submitted written works, so long as the following apply:

• All characters are portrayed as represented in the published works.
    • Stories must be family-friendly.
    • Stories must be focused on existing characters- you may add secondary original characters, so long as they are not the focus of the story and fall within the tone and theme of the novels.
    • We own what you give us.
    Clarification: the only homosexual characters mentioned within the books are Albus Dumbledore and Gellert Grindelwald. Any submissions regarding those characters will be subject to careful scrutiny for compliance with the above standards."

48000 submissions later, they post the first approved story. It's about Winky teaching Teddy Lupin how to raise a garden.

15. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

I imagine the only thing funnier than the slash fangirls reactions would be the H/Hr shippers.

16. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

When I was on ff.net before coming here, I got told by someone I talked to on their/the forums to avoid this place because of how jerkish you lot are, so going on their and saying you're from DLP probably will make a lot of people judge from the get-go. Although if it's JKRowling approved work, then Hermione-sue fics are a must, because we all know Hermione is based on her. :p

I heard on the news last night or this morning, can't remember as I slept since then, that JKRowling was meant to be revealing something in the next week that nobody knows what the content of it is, wether it's a reference to this or something else entirely, I don't know, but I figured some people would like to know.

Shame you couldn't just write a list out of the best DLP-fics and link them to JKRowling somehow...

17. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Yes, but consider the average ff.net reader/writer. :facepalm You give them one ounce of honest criticism, and they have a tantrum because you're not fawning over them and their 'ingenious works' like the rest of the brainless masses.

For a single example of a member of the 'brainless masses', see any average ff.net review.

"ZOMG MORE PLEZ."
    "Good chapter."
    "OMG U SHUD, TOTALLY LIKE, HAVE GINNY BE KILLED BY HARRYZ FOR USIN' POTIONS!"
    "OMG, <he should do this and that, and this and that>..."

DLP members give honest criticism and critique; sure, it may be brutal sometimes, but why sugar coat it?

They dislike DLP because the people on this site tell the truth: if a fic' is shit, it's called out as being shit.

The average ff.net writer/reader is so thin skinned, even a sneeze would destroy their self-esteem.

If they want to cry about it or remain delusional, fuck 'em; doesn't bother me, personally.

18. NobelFiction

NobelFiction Seventh Year

A few Polish gaming news sites entertain the possibility of this thing being a MMO in the Potterverse.

19. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    More Farmville than World of Warcraft.

20. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Yeah, I was just going to post this article: Potter Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Experience?

Could be pretty awesome if true. Though at this point it's just a bunch of people guessing at what "more" might stand for, so I'm not exactly getting my hopes up.