1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pottermore Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Another Empty Frame, Jun 16, 2011.

1. NobelFiction

NobelFiction Seventh Year

First someone has to make a decent Star Wars game for those platforms, but I guess a HP one would work too.

2. Qilin

Qilin Fourth Year

Sarah Palin's backyard, possibly with a shotgun.
    They are making Star Wars for the Kinect (decent, I don't know), but my problem is, how are you moving your character about? Which is what I'd like to know for any game made for it that is not specifically for exercise or dancing.

On the topic of the MMORPG, I could see some grinding taking place in the Forbidden Forest. Perhaps the classes lend skills to taking down beasties out there?

I'd be curious to know the setting of such a game- before, during or after the series? It would need to include more places than just the school though.

3. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

It'd be cool to travel the wizarding world and fight magical creatures from other areas of the world. Also, if the dueling was similar to Red Dead (ie, somebody approaches you in the street and challenges you). That'd be great.

4. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Oh God no...World of Warcraft is/was bad enough, and now they want to do that to Harry Potter?

World is doomed. 'nuff said.

5. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

I used to think an MMO would be legit, but now...meh. Just thinking about planning the outline of such a game would give anyone a headache.

The only reason I'd want to see a Harry Potter game with online capability, is because there was a dueling tournament/circuit feature - sort of like the battle mode to HALO's (and many other games, really) story mode. Titular characters should start out as computer-controlled, but perhaps the best "duellist" around the world could earn the right to control said characters until they're defeated - then it's up for grabs all over again.

...I could swear this was discussed in another thread...

6. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

Reminds me of Star Wars Battlefront 2. A Harry Potter game fitted around Battlefront's format could be quite good, the best player earned the right to play as Dumbledore, etc.

7. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

The Times says it accidentally the mysterious project.

It's no free article though. They say it's some sort of game, where you do stuff in the interwebs and can find prizes hidden in the real world, namely real magic wands.

Yes. Don't look at me like that. I said the Times accidentally the mysterious project.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  8. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

9. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I suppose that would match up with the way people had to find the site in the first place. I wonder if it's UK-only, or if it will extend to the US too. Presumably the prizes aren't just left around - if they were, anyone could find them without the website. Perhaps certain people (e.g. people running bookstores) have been entrusted with the prizes, and if you find the people and give them some sort of password then you get one.

10. Sesc

BECAUSE IT R SAUCE. Also, I found a copy :3

@Taure: Britain, US and "possibly other countries". I'm still loling about an article talking about magic wands being on the frontpage of the Times, though.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  11. Qilin

Qilin Fourth Year

Sarah Palin's backyard, possibly with a shotgun.
    Hopefully it won't only be a 'real magic wand' hunt. Of everything mentioned in this thread I think that might be the worst choice.

I'm starting to get the feeling that the online game mentioned won't be any better than the loads of random games shoved into DVD extras.

12. TrueBlueJP90

TrueBlueJP90 First Year

If that's true Sesc, it'll be a huge disappointment.

Then again, the most popular idea floating around the internet at large is the MMO, and I don't quite get how they would implement it.

The HP world is small, and unless JKR allows game developers to create original content I don't see how the game would be profitable in the long run.

13. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

I know that there's no hope of it happening, but I do wish she would create a few alternate 'What If?' stories; hell, even a collection of short stories detailing this would be good.

Ya know, like those 'What If?' Star Wars/Star Trek stories published in the EUs?

14. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

The "running around IRL" thing sounds plausible. I really do not see how a MMO would work in the Harry Potter verse, the world is far to limited in terms of size and believability.

Here's to hoping that the magic wands you collect are these though:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WzKghHe9zk

15. TrueBlueJP90

TrueBlueJP90 First Year

I don't know about Star Trek, but the Star Wars EU causes a lot more annoyance than it does joy.

For every Rogue Squadron or KOTOR, there are many more bad stories out there.

If done responsibly, I'd agree with you. Seeing more of the wizarding world through a more adult setting would be brilliant.

16. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Well, there was actually a good Star Wars game(s) for the PC. Empire At War and Forces of Corruption (also has a crap-ton of mods created for it). But it's not for the consoles, I don't think. I never did like Battlefront 1 & 2. But then again, I never checked them for mods, either. I think I will.

I tried the HP game (Chamber of Secrets), but it's pretty lame, seeing as it looked like it was created with a low budget, and created in 2002.

17. Sesc

Well, we'll know if five minutes, in any case. Link.

18. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    So...am I missing something, or is this basically the books being published online with forums to go with them, plus a shop?

19. Sesc

It's a unique online reading experience, man. Well, plus a tiny little shop. What's funnier is that the Pottermore server is down :mrgreen:

Edit: Oh, they were quick. It's back up.

20. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Ah. So the Potter books published online with potentially a little touch of those Choose Your Own Adventure books to spice things up then. Plus, of course, the little shop.