1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Poytin's Video Game Reviews

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Poytin, Jun 9, 2013.

1. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

Brutal Legend is pretty fucking swell on the 360.

And I think it is Family Feud.

2. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

.hack//G.U. Volume 1 - Rebirth for the PS2:

Hey everbody you remember when I reviewed the first .hack series and I said that the sequel series was better in every way? I wasn't lying. This is another hack and slash RPG based in an MMO world.

Everything in this game is better than the previous game. The music is superb. The graphics are great. And the combat is amazingly comprehensive and responsive. I can't go on about this game enough. So I'll hold off and just rate it. Also the story is pretty great.

9/10 Playlist of my stream starts here.

Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus for the PS2:

A stealth/action game by Sucker Punch. This game is the 3rd of what I call the flagship trilogies on the PS2. These trilogies are Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, and Sly Cooper.

The graphics are pretty good and the gameplay is decent. However the game has some input errors. Also the music is nothing to write home about. It's basically a story about revenge and family honor. It's alright. I was never that big of a fan of this series. I did like it more than the Jak trilogy though.

7/10 Playthrough starts here. Not complete as of this post

3. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Eh, I'd say that while G.U. is absolutely a better playing series than IMOQ (objectively so, IMOQ's gameplay was terrible and G.U.'s is solid if nothing else), the writing is more or less equal between the two series. IMOQ has better overall writing - and did even before G.U.'s completely collapsed on itself halfway through its final game - and G.U. has much better characterization. It balances out, though it's worth mentioning that because of the gameplay I'm much more likely to replay G.U. than IMOQ, even though I'm not terribly likely to replay either.

Seriously, fuck the back half of Redemption.

4. Poytin

Heh. I'm not disagreeing with you at all. In fact if you look at the review you can kinda guess that the sentence about the story was an afterthought that I added when I realized that it wasn't mentioned at all.

5. Poytin

Kingdom Hearts for the PS2:

An action RPG developed by Square-Enix in co-operation with Disney. I'm not sure exactly how much I have to say about this game. It's one of the single most well known games in existence currently with a rabid fanbase and other people who just like it.

The music in this game is superb. Nothing more to say on the subject. The gameplay is a little odd to get used to by today's standards so it's not as amazing as it was when it came out. The story is fairly good if a little straight forward. The graphics at the time of release were top notch so not good by today's standards unless you play like I did and fix them up a bit.

86/100 Playlist of me playing the game(Currently not completed)

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne(Specifically the Maniax edition) for the PS2:

An RPG developed and released by Atlus. This game man. This game.

The music in this game is very suitable and memorable. The gameplay is standard for an RPG with a twist. Instead of everything being determined by speed this game has a turn system where each side has a number of turns equal to people/demons on it(Except bosses who get more turns than one). You gain half a turn by hitting the enemies weaknesses and you can lose turns if they have strengths against what you used. You lose turns based on the severity of their strength against what you lost.

The story is one of the apocalypse and what you're going to do with it. There are 6 distinct endings in the Maniax version of the game(Which has Dante from Devil May Cry). The graphics in the game are fairly good when boosted in the same way that I boosted the graphics for Kingdom Hearts.

95/100 Current playthrough. Watch out for the frame skipping that occurs since my internet is being terrible.

6. Poytin

So it's been a while. Here have some reviews. Also some games will be recorded and others won't.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning for the PC:

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an action RPG and the only game developed by 38 Studios.

The music in the game is suitable if forgettable. The gameplay is solid and works well in it's game type. However this game suffers from how empty it is. You spend a lot of time moving around and not doing much. And what story there is... isn't very gripping. Despite the fact that they got R.A. Salvatore to help them with it.

It's an easy game to waste time with.

78/100

Ben There, Dan That for the PC:

An indie point-and-click adventure game made in an old style.

There's really not much to say about this one. It's a very basic point and click adventure game using an inventory system. The puzzles are fairly basic and there's no actual way to lose the game that I saw.

The game is made in such as way as to appear old. The music isn't memorable at all.

62/100

Time Gentlemen, Please! for the PC:

The sequel game to Ben There, Dan That and made by the same people.

The graphics look a bit better and it has slightly better sound design. It has harder puzzles and is about twice as long. Its humor got exactly one chuckle out of me while playing.

69/100

7. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

62 and 69/100? Fuck you.

You don't rate these games based on sound scapes and UIs, but based on how damn funny they are. If you're having fun them the rest doesn't matter.

One chuckle? There were heaps of laughs. Most of the humour was based on references to the heydays of 90s adventure gaming with a side order of taking the micky out of English culture.

If you only got one laugh out of that, I feel bad for you.

Sure, the sound and graphics are rudimentary, but the first game was freeware and the second only ever cost a few dollars. For a couple of guys who were building this while needing food money they did pretty damn well.

8. Poytin

There's such a thing as lampshading way too hard. And both of the games did that with their references to the 90s adventure games. Half the time the joke was "Why are you picking that up?" "Because stuff." Ha. Ha. Ha.

And yes I got the English culture jokes. I've just heard them all before and done better with better timing.

I rated them based on how they played and how much I enjoyed them. I mention the sound and looks of the games in every single review and they hardly ever go into the rating.

Jokes in game 1: "Why are you picking that up? Stuff. People really like to play bejeweled. This is stupid. Yes it is."

Jokes in game 2: "Why are you picking that up? Stuff. Hitler. Rat fucking a dead mouse in a dress. That's stupid. Yes it is."

The only joke I laughed at was probably a pity laugh and it was "Time to go back to the past."

And yes. I know these are cheap games made cheaply. Doesn't mean I'm going to give them a pass on their quality. Low budget+ Indie doesn't automatically increase the score I'm going to give something.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  9. Poytin

Bound By Flame for the PS3:

An action RPG developed by Spiders. This game... has a pretty decent trailer. Which is about all that can be said to be good about it.

The camera in this game is consistently terrible. The combat is clunky and awkward adding artificial difficulty. Moving/picking up items is a hassle due to the controls+camera. Your ally AI is fundamentally retarded.

The graphics look like they come from the early era of PS3. The voice acting might have been good if the VAs had any direction at all. Characters aren't developed at all. This game tries to push the edge by throwing in as many swear words as physically possible. Thus it seems very infantile. Overall a very unenjoyable game to play.

38/100

10. Poytin

Age of Mythology: Extended Edition for the PC:

Do you know what is best in life? To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and then to drop a tornado down on top of them... just for fun.

Age of Mythology is a real-time strategy game published by Microsoft Game Studios in 2002. Age of Mythology: Extended Edition is the same game with a graphical update released this year on Steam.

The graphical update makes this game look great. The only problem is with a very specific unit. The attack of the Petsuchos unit is off putting. The sound is as good as it ever was when it was released.

The gameplay is standard RTS fare... with the exception of God Powers. God powers are unique abilities granted to the player for one(or a few) uses. These abilities vary from healing all of your units in an area to causing wolves to attack 4 enemy villages.

This game is very fun and I'd recommend it to all RTS players and for people who'd like to give the genre a try.

95/100

11. Poytin

Rogue Legacy for the PC:

A platforming roguelike/roguelite/procedural death labyrinth created by Cellar Door Games.

This game is difficult. In a 'You're Going To Die' kind of way. However the controls are tight and the graphics mesh well with what the game is doing. The music and sound effects work well with the game.

The story is only a minor piece of the game and found with books throughout the levels.

Personally I'm a fan of this game.

89/100

Relevant link.

12. Poytin

13. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Fun watching that :D

14. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  15. Poytin

16. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Watched it. I'm not sure if you know, but you can adjust those sliders (when you were deciding who would program what area.)

I really liked the game for the first couple of games, when everything was still new and surprising and I was trying to learn how it works. After a while though, I didn't know where to improve further and it just seemed random whether I would make a game that's a 7-8 or one that's a 9-10.
    That was quite frustrating, so I looked it up on the forums. Sadly, that just sapped all motivation from the game. Once I knew how the formula worked, it became boring.

It's not that expensive though, so it's probably worth it for a couple of hours of fun.

17. Poytin

Yeah. That was the first few hours of me playing. So that was when I was still determining what was needed for each game. So just maxed everything.

18. Lexicat

Lexicat Second Year

I remember playing YDKJ with you. The stream lag was real~.

19. Poytin

Oddly enough that's the most watched video on my youtube page. Go figure.

20. Poytin