1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Preacher

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Shinysavage, May 23, 2016.

1. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I was holding my breath for something to go wrong all through the episode...didn't see that coming though.

2. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Yeah seeing Jesse throwing around his power like it was nothing is not going to end well, as evidenced by the ending this time.

I like how Tulip is having this arc over her feelings etc, but for Cassidy hes just getting money, drugs and women no problem. Probably having the time of his life.

3. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It does not cross over.

4. Shinysavage

High Score:
  5. Shinysavage

High Score:
    God damn. That fight at the start, and that ending...damn.

They've gone off the boil with Tulip a little, though. She just seems to be treading water while they get all their ducks in a row, which seems a waste after that barnstorming intro to her.

6. The Berkeley Hunt

I totally agree. Also I understand why Jessie is doing what he is, but its a bit hard to watch the main character acting like an idiot.

Also that Cassidy sad face "oh, you're HIS tulip..."

7. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That fight at the start was fantastic, and that end was... wow.

About half way through the episode I thought it was finally time for me to give this show up. But then I remembered the start and the end. That was great.

Next episode should hopefully have something happen. There's been quite a bit of lead up to what's coming I think.

8. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The more I was exposed to the kind of.. episodic format, the more I came to enjoy it from the show.

However, I'm incredibly happy that we seem to be moving in a more plot-oriented direction. That last episode was fantastic.

9. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm also really happy that Eugene is out of the picture, for now, I'm pretty sure we'll see more of him, but as it was he was mostly just cringeworthy.

Apart from right at the end there, of course. He finally got a backbone and then went to hell for it. Literally. :p

10. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I am really enjoying this. I seriously have zero problems with the slow pace of it.

11. Shinysavage

High Score:
    I'm fairly easygoing about changes to the original work in adaptations, and in Preacher's case I actually feel in many ways like those changes have at least got the potential to make the show more interesting than the comic (which is enormous fun, and more intelligent than its detractors would probably claim, but nowhere near as sophisticated as some of its fans would say), but when Cassidy is becoming the show's moral voice, then something is seriously fucking wrong.

I also didn't like the reveal of Eugene's backstory.

Turning a pathetic but ultimately sweet kid into a guy who shoots people for not dating him? I'm hoping we'll eventually find that the situation was a bit more complicated than it appears.
    Those issues aside (and as much as I might whinge about Cassidy, he was really good this episode, especially in his last scene), pretty good episode, even if it was another that was cranking up the atmosphere and tension another couple of notches. Something needs to release, and soon.

12. Sizdothyx

Sizdothyx First Year

Yeah, but don't forget that Eugene's original backstory is a tad too much for american TV.

I like the changes they've made from the comic. After all, it says 'based' on Preacher, and so far so good. The series has kept a steady pace of divulging information, keeping up the intrigue (Quincannon is a very nice villain and Jackie Earle Haley is an awesome actor), and the trio of protagonists is amazing (with Kassidy being the best of them).

Seth Rogen has done a bang-up job of making a show. Who'd have thought!

13. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Really?

Comics:
    lonely outsider, no friends, doesn't get on with his family, finally makes a friend with a shared interest in Nirvana, they form a suicide pact after Cobain kills himself, Eugene survives, becomes the character we all know and love.

Show:
    asks a girl on a date, she turns him down, he shoots her and then himself, both survive albeit the girl is comatose and brain damaged while Eugene is solely disfigured, and he tries to become a better person.

It would have to be modernised, of course, but I can't see how his original backstory is more extreme than the show.

14. The Berkeley Hunt

Damn, reading that I wish they'd kept the comics origin. That seems much more in character than the show one.

15. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

To be fair, there is a lot of emotion going around about recent teen suicides because of bullying. Perhaps they thought they'd just stay away from that whole area.

16. Sizdothyx

Sizdothyx First Year

shiny: Well, yeah. Political correctness and all that. If I recall correctly, Rogen himself said in an interview that they barely got away with the Tom Cruise joke. Granted, I too would prefer it if they kept the story the original way (maybe elude naming people) but; let's not forget Arseface's story in the show hasn't been "shown", but rather "expositioned". For all we know, when we next see Eugene, he comes face to face with his sins (in a classy flashback).

17. Shinysavage

High Score:
    ...I'm not sure how the show's version is more politically correct than the comics. More relevant, perhaps.

18. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I dunno. Most 20+ peeps know who Kurt Cobain is. And suicide is, unfortunately, always a relevant topic.

I think they did it because 'jilted romantic feelings lead down a dark path' will prove a fairly relateable theme for most of the audience, certainly moreso than 'idol worship taken to extremes'.

19. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Eugene was never that petty. Hell, he was by far the best person in the show. He was extremely lonely, but it never translated into agressiveness against others, and while he latched on the first person that he could related, as soon as someone pointed out how selfish their suicide actually was, he did a turn around that was more akin to going back to who he was. This change is troublesome simce it robs the character most of his appeal.

20. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Why did it have to be a dog? :(