1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Prestige Mode

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jon, Sep 29, 2015.

1. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think it would be good if we could sit down with the admins and have a discussion about the future of Prestige. Originally it was just a joke, but the features it provides should probably be available to more users. I think someone with a couple hundred posts who has been a member for a decade is probably just as aware of and mindful of site rules as someone with 2000 posts who has been a member for a year or two

I've been thinking that perhaps we should have multiple Prestige levels, with each level awarding you 1 extra get out of jail free card. I know we agreed not to do multiple color usernames, but tagging a number onto the prestige badge probably wouldn't be that difficult? @Lord Ravenclaw would need to let us know what is involved with badge creation at the code level.

I was thinking of something like this:

Prestige 1 - You need to sacrifice 500 posts to the post god or be a member for 3 years = nets you 1 extra life

Prestige 2 - 1000 posts for the post god or member for 6 years = nets you 2 extra lives and a custom title

Prestige 3 - 2000 posts for the post god or member for 10 years = nets you a maximum 3 extra lives, a custom title, and a pink username.

Everyone would get the same access to the clubhouse.

2. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Every year of membership after the first gives you a discount of x posts. Do it. Saves me the effort of figuring out how to shitpost effectively.

Although prestige is a pretty exclusive club at the moment, it would be a shame to suddenly make it more accessible. Maybe keep the requirements the same but wave some flashy rewards around, to make people more motivated to post.

3. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    One of the perks of Prestige is that other people get to be jealous of us few.

4. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Varying shades of pink to distinguish rankings.

But in seriousness a year counting as x amount of posts seems sensible. We can alway have something held back for those who make the ultimate sacrifice/have been here the longest.

Though for all the new interest, now the story competition is site-wide there isn't too much going on in the secret club house.

5. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I think the biggest benefit is the ban protection really. Longtime members should have the chance to have a bad day and not get permabanned.

Also, with more members, we might see more clubhouse activity. Or make the clubhouse only avilable at the highest level. I dunno.

6. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Disagree. I think the measure of engagement is useful. Lurking for a decade is not the kind of presence that warrants Prestige.

And while levels of Prestige might be useful, can we please not make it about how many times we can lord it over the plebs by getting away with bannable action? Surely we can come up with better and more fun and quirky perks than being able to skate out of jail a few times.

Stop talking about fight club.

7. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

I can't see the point in keeping the clubhouse only for people not using it much.

The ban thing does feel like a two tire system. I'm not sure if a visible upper class of more protected members is the best idea, people's contributions/length of time /known charecter etc can be taken into account by mods without an official club of these members.

8. ScottPress

High Score:
    @Sorrows it's not like Flamingos have gone out of our way to use our extra lives and flaunt it to other users.

9. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Perhaps it’s the role of the prestige members to act as the recourse for appealing mod decisions? Might get to be too much like Sv/Sb though. Meh. Just throwing around ideas.

10. ScottPress

High Score:
    Nah, instituting a deliberate middle man between mods and users promotes an attitude of mods vs users. We don't want to become like Reddit ffs.

11. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Exactly this.

And I'm just spitballing here, trying to think of ways to give ban protection to more users. We already have a system in place to do this, so we might as well expand on it.

Maybe don't call the lower levels Prestige and don't give them access to the clubhouse or the extra Prestige features? Then everything would essentially remain unchanged from what it is now, just with more extra lives floating around.

How about a blue badge for 1 extra life that says 'Patience' and a red badge for 2 extra lives that says 'Prosperity'.

12. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Again, I don't think we should be talking about Prestige as a bulletproof vest, I think that conversation needs to be had elsewhere about how we hand out bans.

Prestige should be about fun things like our special names, or other fun stuff. Maybe the ability to mess with the announcement banner on our birthdays, or extra fun forum features. That sort of thing.

13. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I mean, it already is a one time bulletproof vest. Or at least it is supposed to be. Wouldn't really be changing much beyond making that priveledge more widespread.

14. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

I thought the perk of prestiging was being able to cause eye pain to everyone who looks at your name? Not like you actually need any perks beyond that really. Obviously if there were to be a Prestige 2 it should just be a rainbow of bright colors and Prestige 3 obviously then spreads this effect to all parts of your posts.

15. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    On the note of Prestige 2+ benefits, an extended edit duration beyond the WBA would be nice.

I don't know exactly how long it lasts as-is, but there have certainly been times when I'd make a post in one of the other parts of the forum and want to amend it a few days or a week after the fact, but it's just sitting there, mocking me.

16. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Alright so!

Sorry to take so long to respond to you guys, work etc.

First of all, I'm not entertaining the idea of giving out multiple ban immunities to people at all. That's just asking for a shitstorm and for people to scream at me for playing favorites.

Regarding Years = Post Requirement reduction.

I am willing to entertain that.

1 year = 100 posts less for requirement.

e.g someone with 5 years on the site only needs 1500 posts.

When I created Prestige as a thing I had some very vocal voices on staff protesting because it felt like creating a 'favored group' on the forum, and as is it certainly toes the line. I won't be entertaining the idea of giving any 'mediation' powers to you guys.

If you want responsibilities on the site then it's going to be the same as always, prove you're a responsible member who can be trusted and when the next round of Moderator positions/ Shadowmod positions become available you'll be given due consideration.

I'm not a big fan of the way Khan has chosen to treat Prestige. I understand why he may view it that way but I'm very disapproving of the rationale behind it. The 'extra life' thing is supposed to be unecessary because you guys are supposed to know better. It's there for the strict purpose of being able to tell Sree to go suck a donkey dick. The fact that some people have wasted it on frivolous things is a big cause for concern to me. Please try and remember what Prestige began as; a way to make fun of @Taure and give him a pretty pink name.

@Zenzao increasing edit time in wba is a pretty easy thing to do (maybe?) I'll look into it.

I'm willing to entertain ideas, but not ones that are specifically geared toward trying to circumvent the need to be good community members.

17. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sorry if I misspoke, but I was asking for more edit time outside of WBA. As far as I know we can edit that stuff even if it is years old(which is great), but we can't edit a post elsewhere after something like 12 hours?

18. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I'll confer with staff and if there's no strong objection I'll see about increasing it to 24 hours.

19. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I've been thinking about it and perhaps the best route going forward to give more people protection would indeed just be to have every year as a member lower the post count requirement for Prestige.

- 1 year = 2000
    1 year = 1800
    2 years = 1600
    3 years = 1400
    4 years = 1200
    5 years = 1000
    6+ years = 800

We could then do extended prestige levels on top of that which offer more 'fun' features for the exclusivity factor.

Edit: jon has ninja'd me. @Jon, everything you've said is very sensible, so i retract my initial suggestions.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  20. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Thought edit time in WbA was already unlimited that was a thing when we were still on VB I could be wrong though.